Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,960 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,255 reviews
on September 29, 2015
When Braun says stick it in your ear they are not kidding. When I was young my mother used to say turn over so she could use the old glass and Mercury filled thermometer! Well times have changed and a great deal of progress has been made in thermometer technology. There are laser thermometers, forehead thermometers and of course the ear thermometers.

I am not about to get into a scientific battle if the thermometers to discuss which is best and most accurate as that is not the intent of this review.

The Braun ear thermometer works by measuring temperature in your ear canal. Press a button, wait until it tells you that it is ready, place a disposable plastic lens cover on the tip and off you go. In the fine print they advise you to pull down on the ear lobe when taking the temperature so you get a clear path into the ear.

I find this thermometer easy to use and gives clear readings on the display with no squinting to read it. I no longer have any young children since my sons are grown with children of their own, but they tell me this is the thermometer they use as it is fast and only slightly invasive with young children. Just a quick in and out of the ear.
on June 5, 2014
The plus of this thermometer is that it is very fast and seems to give pretty good results once you get the hang of how to use it. It is especially great for my 1 and 3 year olds, who get sick a lot and wriggle away after a couple of seconds when you try to take their temperature. This is so fast that I'm able to get a read before they wriggle away. The negative is that you have to get it in the ear at the right angle (which I managed to figure out after a little playing) in order to get a fairly accurate result. The digital screen is easy to read and seems very precise. That said, my pediatrician says that you can't really trust the precision, although the thermometer is good for confirming, as a general matter, whether the person has a fever or not, and whether it has gone up or down.

The one thing I don't like is that you are supposed to use a fresh plastic cover each time you take a temperature. (It comes with a 40-pack, but you have to buy refills after that.) You can't use the thermometer without a plastic cover over the earpiece. The cost of the plastic covers can really add up if you religiously replaced the cover each time. I, frankly, don't. I often wipe them off and reuse them. For family use, I don't see a big hygiene issue in this. I'm sure Braun would say that I shouldn't be doing this, but this system seems a bit reminiscent of getting a cheap printer or photo printer with your computer than being stuck paying a lot for the ink cartridges. It would be better if it came with a washable/sterilizable cover to be interchanged with the disposible ones.
on August 18, 2015
This is an accurate, quality thermometer. I say "accurate" because I took it to the doctor's office when my daughter had a fever so I could test its accuracy and I got the same reading as the doctor's thermometer. It's sturdy. It was nice to switch to this type of thermometer so I didn't have to wake my daughter in the night to take her temp. I like that it keeps previous temps in memory. The covers - I bought a pack of covers and rarely change them. I simply wipe them clean between uses. I'm the type of mom who will take the temp in both ears multiple times a night. I'd go through covers like crazy! I have had no problems re-using covers - just keep wiping with a gentle wipe and change occasionally.
on May 7, 2014
I purchased this ear thermometer a month ago after having way too many disappointing thermometer experiences! I have been looking for a long time for a reliable thermometer that would cause my kids the least discomfort when they are sick. I've had too many thermometers die after very short periods of use and never work again, despite battery replacement. The temporal thermometer I bought at Christmas time registered either everyone with fevers or with hypothermia. I read reviews on lots of thermometers, hoping to finally buy one that will last, and settled on the Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer, which got great reviews overall. So far, it's great! It is very quick and most kids don't mind it in their ear for a few seconds. It beeps to let you know the temperature is done. Easy to eject the plastic cover with a quick press of the button and it comes with a nice plastic case to store it in. I will update after I have used it for awhile to see if it is still holding strong but I am hopeful about this one! Finally!

**Update:
We are still so happy with this thermometer, almost a year later! I have never had a thermometer last so long. We recently all had a bout with the influenza (ugh) and were using this thermometer several times a day between the 5 of us. It is still going strong, even despite having been dropped twice. Oops. It is quick and easy and won't irritate your sick little ones. So happy with this buy and would recommend!
This is the thermometer I always see my doctors use. After years of having digital oral thermometers that just don't seem to hold up for any length of time, I decided to invest in one of these ear thermometers for our household. Temperatures seem to run a little low with this thermometer but when I have a fever and it tips 100, (and I feel it may have been higher on a different kind of thermometer) I get it. The normal range for this thermometer is quite wide: ex: 11-65 years old - 96.4 - 99.5 F using the Thermoscan. So this is a a little bit different than the classic old mercury oral thermometer.

It is important to understand the wide range of "normal" when using the Thermoscan. A person familiar with feeling febrile is going to know that feeling. I had the flu recently and reached just around a 100 F using this ear thermometer. I felt it would have reflected higher with an oral thermometer. The instructions are good and do a nice job of explaining the temperature ranges by site. They can run lower than an oral thermometer. Something to be aware of.

The unit comes with replacement covers (the the hard plastic type some docs use) but a soft almost cellophane cover. Nice storage case and takes two AA batteries. I did notice the batteries in the unit were almost depleted by the time I received it. Not sure if this is a shelf life issue or what. I know I will need to replace them soon.

Overall 5 stars.
on February 28, 2017
Overall, this is a good, easy to use, recommended product. I do have something to gripe about though.

I would have given this five stars had it not been for the AA batteries that were already inside the unit have leaked from one of the batteries. Best-by date showed on each battery is/was March 2012! I don't think this was a returned unit as the package was factory sealed but I could be wrong. I received one in a clamshell packaging. Looking at other consumer's photos, looks like they received a much newer product as it now comes in a box. However, I was surprised that the alkaline batteries have already been installed rather than just being included in the packaging. No big deal, easy to clean.
Also, not even 24hrs of buying this, the price lowered $17.13 of what I paid for.
review image review image review image
on April 14, 2015
Reading fluctuates as most of these mid-priced units do. The one thing I can't forgive is the loud click in my little ones ear from the trigger when taking a reading each time. It's unnecessarily loud when the spring loaded trigger is pulled to activate the temp. scan. I actually shopped around and purchased several different types to find the right one. It's difficult to do, however the closest I've found to the "right one" was a touch less scanner that was sold here on Amazon. See review of the better quality thermometer here: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/review/R7ED3IOHEF0EZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00AAKK1BI Good luck with your thermometer search!
on October 28, 2015
This thermometer is the best! I have tried so many different baby thermometers and this is by far the best and most accurate. Plus it's the only one that I can use on my kids that doesn't make them go crazy! I had one of the ones that you run across the forehead. They are supposed to be the best and I have to say that I was disappointed from day one. Not only does this one seem dead on accurate every time but when you go to use it the next time it shows you the previous temperature. If you are keeping track of your little ones fever and your brain is shot from lack of sleep, this thing does it all!
on February 25, 2014
Worth every penny to be able to check baby and toddler temperature quickly and without disturbing a resting little one. I always check both ears and directions mention I believe to check 3 times. I have found it be accurate and fast. I like to keep a close eye on my little ones temperature when they have a fever and this Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer with ExacTemp Technology allows me to that. My little ones like to have their temperatures taken unlike with the traditional thermometer and under the arm.

It's really easy to use it lights up and beeps when ready. Manual does mention to have clean ears and sometimes you have to wiggle it just a little to get the right spot. No biggie.
on January 5, 2015
You really need to know how to use a thermometer properly if you are going to spend this much on one. That said, this isn't much different from the $300 thermometer. If you don't think you are using it right, use it on someone who does not have an elevated temperature. Play with the angle of the thermometer until you have the correct temperature reading. When you know you have the right angle and depth, make note of it and always use the thermometer that way. I usually take the temp every 30 minutes to 1 hour, so I need something accurate, quick reading and reliable. I'm glad Im not constantly changing batteries. Its gotten a lot of use. I use it on neighbors kids, family members and my own kids. Out of 4 children, i've never given a single one of them a fever reducer. I am a firm believer that fevers are extremely healthy and subside on their own under normal circumstances. I know what I am looking for when I take a temperature, rapid increases and decreases. I also know how to properly use this thermometer to look for those signs. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a backlight. This isn't much of a problem though, because it has memory and you can walk into the next room and bring up the temp you just took if you couldn't see it. The memory also helps if you are properly monitoring a fever's increases and decreases instead of bringing it down with tylenol.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.