Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on September 29, 2015
When Braun says stick it in your ear they are not kidding. When I was young my mother used to say turn over so she could use the old glass and Mercury filled thermometer! Well times have changed and a great deal of progress has been made in thermometer technology. There are laser thermometers, forehead thermometers and of course the ear thermometers.

I am not about to get into a scientific battle if the thermometers to discuss which is best and most accurate as that is not the intent of this review.

The Braun ear thermometer works by measuring temperature in your ear canal. Press a button, wait until it tells you that it is ready, place a disposable plastic lens cover on the tip and off you go. In the fine print they advise you to pull down on the ear lobe when taking the temperature so you get a clear path into the ear.

I find this thermometer easy to use and gives clear readings on the display with no squinting to read it. I no longer have any young children since my sons are grown with children of their own, but they tell me this is the thermometer they use as it is fast and only slightly invasive with young children. Just a quick in and out of the ear.
on August 18, 2015
This is an accurate, quality thermometer. I say "accurate" because I took it to the doctor's office when my daughter had a fever so I could test its accuracy and I got the same reading as the doctor's thermometer. It's sturdy. It was nice to switch to this type of thermometer so I didn't have to wake my daughter in the night to take her temp. I like that it keeps previous temps in memory. The covers - I bought a pack of covers and rarely change them. I simply wipe them clean between uses. I'm the type of mom who will take the temp in both ears multiple times a night. I'd go through covers like crazy! I have had no problems re-using covers - just keep wiping with a gentle wipe and change occasionally.
on June 5, 2014
The plus of this thermometer is that it is very fast and seems to give pretty good results once you get the hang of how to use it. It is especially great for my 1 and 3 year olds, who get sick a lot and wriggle away after a couple of seconds when you try to take their temperature. This is so fast that I'm able to get a read before they wriggle away. The negative is that you have to get it in the ear at the right angle (which I managed to figure out after a little playing) in order to get a fairly accurate result. The digital screen is easy to read and seems very precise. That said, my pediatrician says that you can't really trust the precision, although the thermometer is good for confirming, as a general matter, whether the person has a fever or not, and whether it has gone up or down.

The one thing I don't like is that you are supposed to use a fresh plastic cover each time you take a temperature. (It comes with a 40-pack, but you have to buy refills after that.) You can't use the thermometer without a plastic cover over the earpiece. The cost of the plastic covers can really add up if you religiously replaced the cover each time. I, frankly, don't. I often wipe them off and reuse them. For family use, I don't see a big hygiene issue in this. I'm sure Braun would say that I shouldn't be doing this, but this system seems a bit reminiscent of getting a cheap printer or photo printer with your computer than being stuck paying a lot for the ink cartridges. It would be better if it came with a washable/sterilizable cover to be interchanged with the disposible ones.
on May 7, 2014
I purchased this ear thermometer a month ago after having way too many disappointing thermometer experiences! I have been looking for a long time for a reliable thermometer that would cause my kids the least discomfort when they are sick. I've had too many thermometers die after very short periods of use and never work again, despite battery replacement. The temporal thermometer I bought at Christmas time registered either everyone with fevers or with hypothermia. I read reviews on lots of thermometers, hoping to finally buy one that will last, and settled on the Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer, which got great reviews overall. So far, it's great! It is very quick and most kids don't mind it in their ear for a few seconds. It beeps to let you know the temperature is done. Easy to eject the plastic cover with a quick press of the button and it comes with a nice plastic case to store it in. I will update after I have used it for awhile to see if it is still holding strong but I am hopeful about this one! Finally!

**Update:
We are still so happy with this thermometer, almost a year later! I have never had a thermometer last so long. We recently all had a bout with the influenza (ugh) and were using this thermometer several times a day between the 5 of us. It is still going strong, even despite having been dropped twice. Oops. It is quick and easy and won't irritate your sick little ones. So happy with this buy and would recommend!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This is the thermometer I always see my doctors use. After years of having digital oral thermometers that just don't seem to hold up for any length of time, I decided to invest in one of these ear thermometers for our household. Temperatures seem to run a little low with this thermometer but when I have a fever and it tips 100, (and I feel it may have been higher on a different kind of thermometer) I get it. The normal range for this thermometer is quite wide: ex: 11-65 years old - 96.4 - 99.5 F using the Thermoscan. So this is a a little bit different than the classic old mercury oral thermometer.

It is important to understand the wide range of "normal" when using the Thermoscan. A person familiar with feeling febrile is going to know that feeling. I had the flu recently and reached just around a 100 F using this ear thermometer. I felt it would have reflected higher with an oral thermometer. The instructions are good and do a nice job of explaining the temperature ranges by site. They can run lower than an oral thermometer. Something to be aware of.

The unit comes with replacement covers (the the hard plastic type some docs use) but a soft almost cellophane cover. Nice storage case and takes two AA batteries. I did notice the batteries in the unit were almost depleted by the time I received it. Not sure if this is a shelf life issue or what. I know I will need to replace them soon.

Overall 5 stars.
on December 15, 2011
My wife and I raised two daughters who ran through the usual colds, coughs, flu, and wisdom teeth, and we did all 20+ years with an old oral thermometer. Last week when my wife got sick, I took out the old thermometer, shook it down, and put it under her tongue for 5 minutes (that's what it says). Sure enough, 101°. By the third day, I got sick of the routine and she got sick of having to keep it under her tongue for 5 minutes three or four times a day.

So I started reading reviews on Amazon. (Why I didn't just call my daughter with our two grandkids, I don't know - I still haven't.) I had no idea there were so many and each with differing opinions. Since I was reporting to our doctor daily, I finally asked him, and he recommended the Braun.

I ordered it, and it came just in time to tell us that my wife's temp had returned to normal. But, it told me in 2 seconds, not 5 minutes. Not that we didn't know she was well, but still it was fun to just take temperatures. (We don't have much of a social life and, other than The Big Bang Theory, don't watch much TV ... although the news would be enough to make us sick, and we could start the process over again.)

We alternated (hey, it's new and different and, while I may not have an i-whatever, I still like gadgets). It not only registered between 97.9 and 98.6°, it did so consistently, AND kept a running tab. It was actually more accurate than the old oral thermometer which was off by as much as 3 degrees (maybe the mercury is tired, but more likely it varied with the 3-5 minutes that was bearable to get a reading).

Although it uses an LCD, we had no trouble reading it. It gave accurate readings in 2 seconds or less and beeps to tell you when you can remove it. Not that I can't wait for one of us to get sick again, but when that happens, it'll be a pleasure to have this Braun around. Why we didn't get one 48 years ago is simple: It wasn't made 48 years ago. Why we didn't get this two years ago is typical: we were sick two years ago.

E
on April 14, 2015
Reading fluctuates as most of these mid-priced units do. The one thing I can't forgive is the loud click in my little ones ear from the trigger when taking a reading each time. It's unnecessarily loud when the spring loaded trigger is pulled to activate the temp. scan. I actually shopped around and purchased several different types to find the right one. It's difficult to do, however the closest I've found to the "right one" was a touch less scanner that was sold here on Amazon. See review of the better quality thermometer here: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/review/R7ED3IOHEF0EZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00AAKK1BI Good luck with your thermometer search!
on January 23, 2015
I tried a few different thermometers that were frustratingly inaccurate (one was a forehead-sweep model, the other an under-the-arm stick-type). I'd always had the problem of getting a different reading every time.

Not this one! As long as you get the correct position in the ear, the temperature readings are super accurate and consistent. Brought me through a bad flu with reliable readings that were super easy and quick to take. The one improvement would be to have a light-up screen so you could take a temperature in the dark at night, but hey, I won't get greedy, I'm happy with it how it is.

One thing - the instructions tell you to use a new plastic ear cover after each reading, but I have not found this to be necessary. As long as it's clean, I kept the same cover for the extent of the illness (except if switching to a new person). I didn't notice any effects on accuracy of the readings.
on March 11, 2015
We have had this for over 3 years now. Still works like a charm! Worth the money in my opinion. 3 kids and many a fevers.

Update February 2018:
I am simply amazed at how well this is STILL WORKING! Braun has won my vote on stability and endurance of a product. After sitting on the shelf for sometime, I put in a fresh new batteries, and viola! Amazing! Especially since, I did buy another thermometer and that one was not working at all. My kid has a fever which sucks, but at least I have a working number to watch if antipyretics will work.

I might invest in an updated version of this. Maybe. I'll take this to Pediatricians office to compare temps. If this post is not updated, its because its still accurate and working like a charm!!
on July 20, 2013
Works well and gives repeatable, consistent, accurate results. It's also easy to operate.
The manual belabors the obvious while burying important operational details.

The tiny, two-cent plastic battery door broke in half while in warranty. I contacted the warranty folks asking for a new door. They wanted me to return the entire unit. I responded:

"Surely you must know that many of your customers use their thermometers every day, several times per day. This makes it unfeasible to be deprived of it for the time required to exchange the unit. If you will send me a new unit, I promise to return the one without a battery door. My address is..."

They responded:
"I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced regarding the terms of your Limited Warranty. The Limited Warranty is stated in every Owner's Manual (this was packaged with your unit), and it says that Kaz Incorporated will cover a replacement or repair of the item, if defective in material or workmanship and that the unit will be replaced when it is received in our warehouse. I have made note of your dissatisfaction and I shall pass it along for consideration in case any policy changes should occur in the future. Again, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your understanding."

This is the sort of nonsense that drives us all crazy. Cavaet emptor.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.