Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,958 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,254 reviews
on June 27, 2016
I used well when baby was sick a few days ago.
Operating good, exactly the same as measured in the clinic.

I have taken this to work at a hospital and compared it to the Pro model and they are not any different.
Thermometers cannot read too high. The differing temps between ears are likely the result of method, like how you were pointing it into your ear, maybe differently between each one, or how clear the ear canal is, like is one side cleaner than the other.
The difference between tympanic and oral is established to be different. There is an article on webmd that summarizes the typical ranges and differences between temperature locations.
Many people falsely focus on getting the exact temp but this is futile because your body is always changing, heart rate, blood pressure, everything is in constant change based on environments. What you should be looking for is a trend, are you gradually going up in temp? or going down?

I use the same style in the ICU and even there it is understood that you will have some slight changes even between ears, pick the one that is higher because that is more likely to be the cleaner best side.

I don't like the forehead therms because I think it's too easy to lift off and drop my reading down. I absolutely choose the ear therm. I work in critical care in a decent sized hospital, all the nurses prefer the tympanic (ear) for fast accurate readings.

There are also known differences between age groups as far as temps go. Young kids, toddlers, infants have typically higher normal temps, while older adults have typically lower body temps, this has to do with the amount of metabolism/energy burning off. Everybody is different in their temps. Different methods of temp reading (like oral, ear, forehead) each have their own range that are a degree or two off, this is just natural that deep inside our body we are warmest and skin temp can drop with sweating and be cold while a body core temp is roasting (another reason I don't like the forehead scan). Oral temps can easily be skewed if eating foods of varying temps.
Tympanic is also a degree or so different than a true core temp but this is all not important with a typical infection because the important information is which direction the temp is moving. Also behavior is very important especially with children; my child at age 1y had a temp of 104 (rectally, which I consider more true than any other home method) and was playing around and happy, I was not worried, I gave some medication and watched his behavior. Another toddler could have a temp of 101 and be flaccid and I would be racing to the ER. This may be TMI but it helps if you understand the context of the temp and the method of checking it. I hope this is helpful
on February 10, 2015
I like this thermometer a lot. I am giving it four stars only because it is difficult to use. I used it incorrectly for a few months without realizing. Obviously, that is not ideal. I had fluctuating temperatures and never knew what was right. However, I recently discovered my error- now the temps that I take on myself (husband or children) are all very accurate. The trick is to pull your ear up while inserting. Weird, huh? I have no idea why (the manual says to do it) but that is the key. If you do not do that, the temperature can vary as much as a degree or two every time you take a reading.
on September 29, 2015
When Braun says stick it in your ear they are not kidding. When I was young my mother used to say turn over so she could use the old glass and Mercury filled thermometer! Well times have changed and a great deal of progress has been made in thermometer technology. There are laser thermometers, forehead thermometers and of course the ear thermometers.

I am not about to get into a scientific battle if the thermometers to discuss which is best and most accurate as that is not the intent of this review.

The Braun ear thermometer works by measuring temperature in your ear canal. Press a button, wait until it tells you that it is ready, place a disposable plastic lens cover on the tip and off you go. In the fine print they advise you to pull down on the ear lobe when taking the temperature so you get a clear path into the ear.

I find this thermometer easy to use and gives clear readings on the display with no squinting to read it. I no longer have any young children since my sons are grown with children of their own, but they tell me this is the thermometer they use as it is fast and only slightly invasive with young children. Just a quick in and out of the ear.
on June 5, 2014
The plus of this thermometer is that it is very fast and seems to give pretty good results once you get the hang of how to use it. It is especially great for my 1 and 3 year olds, who get sick a lot and wriggle away after a couple of seconds when you try to take their temperature. This is so fast that I'm able to get a read before they wriggle away. The negative is that you have to get it in the ear at the right angle (which I managed to figure out after a little playing) in order to get a fairly accurate result. The digital screen is easy to read and seems very precise. That said, my pediatrician says that you can't really trust the precision, although the thermometer is good for confirming, as a general matter, whether the person has a fever or not, and whether it has gone up or down.

The one thing I don't like is that you are supposed to use a fresh plastic cover each time you take a temperature. (It comes with a 40-pack, but you have to buy refills after that.) You can't use the thermometer without a plastic cover over the earpiece. The cost of the plastic covers can really add up if you religiously replaced the cover each time. I, frankly, don't. I often wipe them off and reuse them. For family use, I don't see a big hygiene issue in this. I'm sure Braun would say that I shouldn't be doing this, but this system seems a bit reminiscent of getting a cheap printer or photo printer with your computer than being stuck paying a lot for the ink cartridges. It would be better if it came with a washable/sterilizable cover to be interchanged with the disposible ones.
on August 18, 2015
This is an accurate, quality thermometer. I say "accurate" because I took it to the doctor's office when my daughter had a fever so I could test its accuracy and I got the same reading as the doctor's thermometer. It's sturdy. It was nice to switch to this type of thermometer so I didn't have to wake my daughter in the night to take her temp. I like that it keeps previous temps in memory. The covers - I bought a pack of covers and rarely change them. I simply wipe them clean between uses. I'm the type of mom who will take the temp in both ears multiple times a night. I'd go through covers like crazy! I have had no problems re-using covers - just keep wiping with a gentle wipe and change occasionally.
on May 7, 2014
I purchased this ear thermometer a month ago after having way too many disappointing thermometer experiences! I have been looking for a long time for a reliable thermometer that would cause my kids the least discomfort when they are sick. I've had too many thermometers die after very short periods of use and never work again, despite battery replacement. The temporal thermometer I bought at Christmas time registered either everyone with fevers or with hypothermia. I read reviews on lots of thermometers, hoping to finally buy one that will last, and settled on the Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer, which got great reviews overall. So far, it's great! It is very quick and most kids don't mind it in their ear for a few seconds. It beeps to let you know the temperature is done. Easy to eject the plastic cover with a quick press of the button and it comes with a nice plastic case to store it in. I will update after I have used it for awhile to see if it is still holding strong but I am hopeful about this one! Finally!

**Update:
We are still so happy with this thermometer, almost a year later! I have never had a thermometer last so long. We recently all had a bout with the influenza (ugh) and were using this thermometer several times a day between the 5 of us. It is still going strong, even despite having been dropped twice. Oops. It is quick and easy and won't irritate your sick little ones. So happy with this buy and would recommend!
This is the thermometer I always see my doctors use. After years of having digital oral thermometers that just don't seem to hold up for any length of time, I decided to invest in one of these ear thermometers for our household. Temperatures seem to run a little low with this thermometer but when I have a fever and it tips 100, (and I feel it may have been higher on a different kind of thermometer) I get it. The normal range for this thermometer is quite wide: ex: 11-65 years old - 96.4 - 99.5 F using the Thermoscan. So this is a a little bit different than the classic old mercury oral thermometer.

It is important to understand the wide range of "normal" when using the Thermoscan. A person familiar with feeling febrile is going to know that feeling. I had the flu recently and reached just around a 100 F using this ear thermometer. I felt it would have reflected higher with an oral thermometer. The instructions are good and do a nice job of explaining the temperature ranges by site. They can run lower than an oral thermometer. Something to be aware of.

The unit comes with replacement covers (the the hard plastic type some docs use) but a soft almost cellophane cover. Nice storage case and takes two AA batteries. I did notice the batteries in the unit were almost depleted by the time I received it. Not sure if this is a shelf life issue or what. I know I will need to replace them soon.

Overall 5 stars.
on February 28, 2017
Overall, this is a good, easy to use, recommended product. I do have something to gripe about though.

I would have given this five stars had it not been for the AA batteries that were already inside the unit have leaked from one of the batteries. Best-by date showed on each battery is/was March 2012! I don't think this was a returned unit as the package was factory sealed but I could be wrong. I received one in a clamshell packaging. Looking at other consumer's photos, looks like they received a much newer product as it now comes in a box. However, I was surprised that the alkaline batteries have already been installed rather than just being included in the packaging. No big deal, easy to clean.
Also, not even 24hrs of buying this, the price lowered $17.13 of what I paid for.
review image review image review image
on April 14, 2015
Reading fluctuates as most of these mid-priced units do. The one thing I can't forgive is the loud click in my little ones ear from the trigger when taking a reading each time. It's unnecessarily loud when the spring loaded trigger is pulled to activate the temp. scan. I actually shopped around and purchased several different types to find the right one. It's difficult to do, however the closest I've found to the "right one" was a touch less scanner that was sold here on Amazon. See review of the better quality thermometer here: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/review/R7ED3IOHEF0EZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00AAKK1BI Good luck with your thermometer search!
on February 25, 2014
Worth every penny to be able to check baby and toddler temperature quickly and without disturbing a resting little one. I always check both ears and directions mention I believe to check 3 times. I have found it be accurate and fast. I like to keep a close eye on my little ones temperature when they have a fever and this Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer with ExacTemp Technology allows me to that. My little ones like to have their temperatures taken unlike with the traditional thermometer and under the arm.

It's really easy to use it lights up and beeps when ready. Manual does mention to have clean ears and sometimes you have to wiggle it just a little to get the right spot. No biggie.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.