Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kidz Bop All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on January 18, 2018
Strange as it may seem this is the first book I've read by historian David McCullough, and I thought his short works would be a good introduction to his writing style. "Brave Companions" is a collection of essays written over the years for magazine articles or as lectures, so there is no overlaying connection or theme other than that they're all of historical subjects. Each essay was fascinating on its own covering a wide range of subjects from game changing engineering projects, historical research, important places and times. And, of course, people, all kinds of people--some out of the past while others were more contemporary to our times. The author did a lot of traveling and interviewing for these essays and his efforts and writing skills are apparent in each piece. Like all compilations of short works some essays are more interesting than others; depending on the readers personal tastes. Since I like reading about history, whatever the subject, I enjoyed all of the pieces and got exactly what I wanted from this book. I found McCullough's writing to be well researched, interesting and informative, it held my interest from cover to cover. I was already acquainted with some of his subjects like Theodore Roosevelt and Alexander Von Humboldt while others, like Harriet Beecher Stowe (author: "Uncle Tom's Cabin"), were less familiar. In each case the subject was fascinating, and sometimes disturbing, but I often came away with a new appreciation for the places, events and people that make up our human history. In "Brave Companions" you will learn about building a famous bridge from scratch, the early days of flying, the dangers of Caisson's Disease and a little known, Pulitzer Prize winning author of numerous novels. All in all this is a brilliant look at the many facets of World History and the people and places that make the study of the past memorable. There's more, a lot more, in this wonderful collection of historical sketches, but read it for yourself, see if you agree. I had no technical or downloading problems with this Kindle edition.

Last Ranger
on August 4, 2017
Some of the chapters are dated but I liked the concept a lot. Would recommend.
on December 15, 2017
Superb book of course from David McCullough. Stories well told of mostly ordinary people who bravely took risks ultimately for benefit of themselves but also for others and often for the betterment of man.
on April 25, 2017
great book, easy reading and interesting
on July 16, 2015
David McCullough is a great historian. He always gives us the complete broad picture of any of his subjects. I am grateful for the thorough research presented in all of his books. I wish he had been born so long ago that he would have provided the extremely interesting history books I needed to read in college instead of the boring, rudimentary presentations I had to read and which put me to sleep. His writing is a blessed gift to the current generations who are just learning our history.
on January 7, 2018
not this author's best book
on April 14, 2017
Excellent book!
on November 21, 2015
The stories told are wonderful but Mr. McCullough should have hired a reader rather than doing these himself. His voice has become quite gravely and it is easy to miss some of what he is reading. But I am still high on this collection because of the historical content, which is superb.
on July 31, 2017
Have not read yet
on October 21, 2014
This book is little snippets of the lives of some pretty amazing people most of whom most people reading it on a kindle would not even have heard of because there isn't such a focus on stuff like this in our school system today. It is not just one story line from beginning to end. I was surprised how many contributions people had made in the past that were quite significant and I had never even heard of the person or their contribution. I wanted to know a few more details about many of the characters. It is a very, very good book.