Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 559 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 643 reviews
on October 6, 2010
I love this show. I have pre-ordered the season on Amazon, thus avoiding the computer generated blurbs, and commercials. The characters are wonderful, even though they are all gorgeous and money never seems to be a problem, and neither is curfew. College would have been a more realistic setting for the characters. Then again, its a series about vampires, werewolves, and witches, so a little more suspension of disbelief is not all that hard. This season starts right as the first ended, at the carnival. I anticipate each episode being better than the previous. I love re-watching the first season, you discover new details each time you watch them. Sit back and enjoy! If you live Twilight you will love this.
66 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2015
Generally when I watch a show, the first season is usually the best one out of the entire series, but season 2 of The Vampire Diaries would have to be my favorite season so far. Season 1 is pretty compelling as well, but season 2 just brought so much to the table and just made this show get better by the minute.
The second continuation of the thrilling and compelling series The Vampire Diaries, based off of the books by L.J. Smith and produced by Julie Plec left us with a theatrical season finale. Stefan and Damon’s ex-girlfriend, Katherine, is back and didn’t just come back from the love/hate relationship she has with the boys. The finale left the audience thinking about what was going to happen to Stefan and Elena's relationship with the jealous Katherine Pierce back in town, and with the effect of Jonathan Gilbert's Vampire device. As well as if Jeremy's decision to become a vampire, and Carolines health, when Tyler loses control of the car and gets himself, Matt and Caroline in a car accident.

I am not one of those people that will just spill the entire beans on a review, but I will give some inside scoop for the people who are tempted to continue watching the series after season 1. The drama that happened in season 1 definitely brought people on the edge of their seats, but after watching season 2 multiple times, I have to say it raises the bar pretty high.

Season 2 brings new and amazing characters to the show that will either stay with the series or could leave eventually. The story line goes around the return of the devious Katherine. The characters are having to adapt to her return and are on a mission to find out why she has come back. This ends up to be a definite plot twist! Through the season, a new storyline starts to form. A new type of creature returns to Mystic Falls along with a magical curse which could cause a lot of chaos.

This season definitely changes the characters forever and may lose some TVD regulars that have been on the show since day 1!! Something that was remarkable about this season was the acting from Nina Dobrev. She plays Elena, who is a regular character as well as Katherine who is a new character. Nina definitely worked her butt off playing two characters back to back every day. After watching this season, I am a huge fan of Stefan and Elena and their relationship. Watching this season definitely gave me the up and down roller coaster ride experience due to watching their relationship go through a lot of bumps in the road. One hint from this season is that Stefan and Elena’s relationship will never be the same after season 2.

Even though, Season 2 is my favorite I definitely recommend the whole series. Even though some seasons might not be as exciting as season 1 or 2, you have to keep watching. If you don’t end up liking the seasons after 1 and 2, go back and watch the seasons you did enjoy!
on September 23, 2011
I have been a The Vampire Diaries: The Complete First Seasonfan from the first season... from the first episode. But I wait for each episode to start heading off into a direction that is too indepth or unrealistic for me to enjoy anymore. Instead, each season, writers Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson, never fail to keep the episodes real and in touch with - well - reality.

The actors who portray their characters - Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore, Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert, Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore, and Joseph Morgan and Klaus - are absolutely great at what they do. They bring the show to life, and make you believe that this is really what's going on in Mystic Falls, Virgina. They are so indepth that you get to know, not only what is on the surface, but what is in their background, their entire past, they snap, they soften - every situation imaginable for a character's personal growth is portrayed excellently here.

This season, it picks up right where the last episode in season 1 left off, and we really learn more about all of the character's backgrounds and the motivations behind multiple characters. We see Damon's character advance and mature, as well as see his true nature (Sorry, I'm a bit biased, he's my favorite character). We learn a whole lot about this Katherine, AKA Katerina Petrova and what a doppleganger is. We learn about Stefan's not-so-innocent past. We see Caroline's character advance, mature, and grow into a stronger, self-sufficent person. And a whole lot more. Each episode is like a grand finale with little room for dull moments.

Even if you're not a fan of the vampire genre, this is a series that is very genre flexible (unless you very strictly hate fantasy, sci fi, and horror) because it is so realistic, there is something that you can relate to in every character, situation, etc.
on December 8, 2016
What a show..... it throws everything at you! Be prepared for high school drama, romance and family issues mixed in with vampires, werewolves and witches!
on August 29, 2011
Season 1 of this show was amazing, so I was delighted that season 2 is even better. Every character on the show becomes more multi-dimensional this season. Caroline as a vampire is so amazing. Her storyline with Tyler has its very own spin-off potentional. Bonnie turns even more bad-ass as a witch Goddess. Fans of Willow from Buffy will love her power and growth as well as her new love interest this season. The first half deals with Katherine and the fallout of her arrival. Then the introduction of the werewolfs takes this show up a notch that Twilight's New Moon couldn't match. The introduction of the original vampires Klaus and Elijah was a work of genius. I can't think of one thing that would have improved this season. Fans of both Stefan and Damon will find plenty of moments to cheer about this season. However, the best relationship in this show for me is the relationship between the two brothers, Stefan and Damon. Seeing them come together and often clash to protect Elena is spell-bounding. Stefan proves over and over he will always do what Elena wants him to do while Damon will always do what he believes is BEST for her or what she needs. The contrast in the two approaches is amazing. The length Stefan goes to at the end of the season to save his brother is heartwrenching. This show is for all ages and all fans of the supernatural genre. My 63 year old father started watching season 1 with me and loved it. I can't wait until he watches all of season 2.
on March 28, 2012
Though book fans may not care for the direction in which this show is headed, most of us tuned in for each new episode knowing we were in for quite an experience. Becoming stronger and more mature in its second season, The Vampire Diaries is not for the faint of heart... and we wouldn't want it to be.

Katherine has returned. The charming, beautiful vampire who first turned Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley) in the aftermath of the Civil War has arrived in Mystic Falls, much to the horror of her doppelganger and Stefan's current girlfriend, Elena (Nina Dobrev). And she's out to have some, well, fun. The intensely jealous vampire has no interest in allowing the lovers peace and threatens to harm Elena's brother Jeremy (??) and her aunt Jenny (??) if they don't break up. But her actions toward the unhappy duo are just a smokescreen - she has something much more exciting planned that involves an ancient curse and a precious moonstone. Unfortunately for all of them, Caroline (Candice Accola) is caught up in the mix. Near death after a car accident, she is visited by Katherine and given a dose of vampire blood and a broken neck. She awakens with a hunger for blood and uncertainty as to where this new twist of fate will lead her. Bonnie (Katerina Graham) is struggling with her powers as a witch, and holds a growing hatred for vampires that may unleash a tide of violence.

But Caroline is not the only one questioning her existence... as it seems the werewolf gene in the Lockwood family has been activated. Mason intends on ending Damon (if Damon doesn't end him first) but his nephew Tyler is about to experience the real traumas of the family curse. And that doesn't even cover the new vampires in town, the arrival of the warlocks, or the re-emergence of an ancient evil even Katherine is terrified of...

Creating quite a stir due to its daring and sometimes scandalous ad campaigns, those unfamiliar with the material would be surprised to learn that this series is tamer than the previews might suggest. It has a solid cast that is ever expanding, continuity in its ongoing arcs, and never fails to stretch out in new and exciting directions. Fans of the love triangle in particular will like certain scenes and implications this season, as we find out how Damon truly feels about Elena. The first half is a lot of fun with the return of Katharine and the transformation of Caroline into a vampire, the next batch of episodes deals with the werewolf problems, and finally the season ends by returning to the beginning and the implications of both curses. In terms of storytelling it's solid and week to week breaks out surprises, which is one of the reasons it is so popular. It is a smart show and that is not often found in programming aimed at young adults.

It goes without saying that this series is edgy and controversial. It contains all the elements your grandmother would hate -- vampires, werewolves, and witches, which may be why it is so popular among young adults. It's that touch of forbidden attraction that we all harbor deep inside. If the description put you ill at ease, it's a safe bet you won't want to try it out.
on June 19, 2016
My favorite part about this season is that you get to see Elena finally starting to admit her true feelings for Damon and the fact that Jeremy and Bonnie are dating!
My favorite episodes have to be the 60's dance one and As I lay dying.
I always cry on that one.
on April 17, 2013
Okay, I admit it: I'm a fan. I read the books way back when (and for the record, they were awful- but *very* engaging and still WAY better then 'Twilight'), and I was excited about the show. I didn't care that Elena went from blond to brunette and had a brother instead of a sister, and the Salvatores were from Virginia instead of Italy, I was just psyched to see the triangle up on screen. Season 1 got off to a shaky start, but did not disappoint.

Season 2, on the other hand, is not only "not disappointing", but has some really great episodes. One of the running themes is the evolution of Caroline's character and her friendship with Stefan, which mirrors his relationship with Lexi.

In the opener, Caroline, is turned into a vampire and gains a small measure of revenge on Damon for his mistreatment of her when he first comes into town (#1 "The Return"). It's amazing to watch Caroline grow a spine along with her fangs and I found myself rooting for her alongside the two brothers and Elena. Another one of my faves is #6 "Plan B", in which Jeremy struggles to become part of Mystic Falls' new world order and Damon and Katherine reveal just how ruthless they are. There's also the introduction of Rose (#8 "Rose") who gets Damon to show his softer side. Katherine's back story is featured (#9 "Katerina") which gave Nina Dobrev a chance to really shine- I think she got her People's Choice award for her work in Season 2, actually. There's also the first of many wonderful episodes showing how Lexi influenced the brothers and the relationship between Elena and Original Elijah (#15 "The Dinner Party"). The finale (#22 "As I Lay Dying") which is a neat little full-circle move showing that what happened to Jeremy in the first episode (and the Season 1 finale) had consequences,

If you're a fan of the show, and like rewatching for nuance and characterization, this is worth owning.
on January 16, 2013
I hadn't seen a single episode of this show until last week, and had no idea what it was that might separate this show from any of the others in the genre.

After noting the extremely high percentage of 5-star ratings, out of nearly 400 reviews for Season 1, and the remarkably high percentage out of the nearly 300 reviews for Season 2, and reading the specifics conveyed by others in their reviews, I had to see for myself what so many had found so compelling about this show.

I initially thought this show was simply a combination of 'vampire' + 'high school', but that's SO NOT IT. Of the various reviews I read, what became pivotal for me were those which were from people who did not consider themselves fans of the genre, and those which commented regarding the show having exceptional writing -- and I happen to now be among the chorus of those singing the praises of this show, and belong to both of those 'camps'.

Although I saw the Twilight movies, I wasn't all that impressed by them -- the stories or the acting. When I checked out True Blood (again, to see what all the fuss was about :) ), I enjoyed Season 1, wasn't such a fan of Season 2, and really liked Season 3. However, this show strikes me as being relatively peerless -- it's simply that good, and I don't know what even comes close. I continue to marvel at the exceptional storylines, which are not only paired with phenomenal writing, involving truly remarkable creativity, and skilled pacing, but fantastic acting.

I'm blown away by this show, and am utterly delighted to have found a show whose incredible storylines downright fascinate me, and keep me spellbound, from episode, to episode. In working my way through the Season 1 set, I initially didn't understand what the fuss was all about -- however, after certain initial specifics were fleshed out (no pun intended), it became apparent that this was no ordinary show, and I soon found myself in that delightful state of anticipation, after each episode concluded -- I had to watch the next one, right away... :)

And that 'snowballing' of anticipation and practically being mesmerized by the show was even more true of Season 2 -- holy crap, WHAT A SEASON! It's like they laid the groundwork in Season 1 for a stunning 'lift off', in Season 2 -- the creativity and stunningly wonderful writing are 'off the charts' in this season.

I can't recommend this show highly enough. I happen to be a sci-fi fan, and enjoy when it crosses into what is deemed to be within the fantasy realm, and find ventures into the supernatural to be fertile ground for great stories, but am not 'hardcore' regarding any genre -- my preference, above all, is for great stories -- and this show delivers it in abundance.

For anyone who might be 'on the fence', and among those who, like me (until last week, that is) hadn't seen an episode of this show, I hope you decide to give it a try, as there is so much to enjoy about this wonderful series.

Great stories, great writing, and great execution (again, no pun intended [lol]) -- it's got it all!
on January 9, 2013
"Vampire Diaries" is a show that makes use of all the standard urban fantasy/ paranormal romance cliches without taking itself too seriously, and that makes it a guilty pleasure that you don't have to be ashamed of.
The story is the same old thing, beautiful high school coed falls for mysterious stranger/high school boy who turns out to be a vampire (who thankfully does not sparkle, or sneak into her room to watch her sleep, or anything creepy like that).
She is the spitting image of his long lost love and so he "must know her!"
He is the good guy she is looking for to help provide stability in her life after the death of her parents in a car crash.
You get the idea.
The main character, Elena (Nina Dobrev), is beautiful and all of her friends are gorgeous (sort of like they are all Hollywood actresses or something)and they hang out with pretty boys and get into supernatural trouble.
One of the problems that I have with the program, however, is that although the show is set in a small town in Virginia, and at least two of the characters grew up there before the Civil War, virtually no one in the show sounds like they have ever been in the south. It also bugs me that the characters frequently act out of plot driven stupidity ("I can't believe that this character, who has screwed us over 47 times in the last five weeks, would do something bad to us THIS time.").
On the up side, the writers frequently make fun of the standard vampire goes back to high school tropes and the characters get to make snarky comments about the fact that this tiny little town seems to have some kind of festival, or major event every other week.
Also, hasn't anybody notice the unusually high death rate in this tiny town?
On the other hand, I like the fact that the leaders of the town are not entirely dim and have some idea of what is going on.
The show is worth watching, if you don't try and take it seriously.