Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Breaking All the Rules: How to Rent Your Vacation Home including Welcome Book
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on December 26, 2008
at $20 for this short book I would recommend you look elsewhere. I was VERY disappointed by the lack of useful content in the book.

The author's 'expertise' in this field is that she owns ONE vacation rental in New Hampshire, so as you might expect, her recommendations are specifically tailored to that experience and situation. There is virtually nothing in this book that would be considered truly interesting information as I suspect everything could be found online.

I wrote a prior review on this book and did not have a good alternative book to recommend. Fortunately I do now.

How to Rent Vacation Properties By Owner, but Christine Hrib Karpinski. It is about 300 pages long and in my review of it so far it appears to have a number of useful details. It easily covers anything in the "Breaking all the rules" book but with useful information and insight.

Before buying this book, I would suggest you check out the other one as well, read the reviews (significantly more of them for that book) and the author bios.

One final comparison, and perhaps not a fair one, but intended to provide another example of the difference in quality of these two books.

Both books have a forward included. For the OTHER book, it is written by some long-term journalist covering real estate. For THIS book, it was written by the author's cleaning woman (yes, I am serious). Nothing against this nice woman, but I cannot imagine she has a not of useful insights for me on how to rent my property other than that it should be clean.

Hope this helps. I don't like to dump on books or authors because I know it takes a lot of time and energy to write and publish a book, but this one unfortunately deserves to be noted because at $20 it is unfair to buyers/readers.
on June 9, 2008
I have read nearly every book out there on Vacation Rentals, and I found this one to be very straight forward ad easy reading. I have been in the business for 10 years, so most of this information is excellent particularly if you are new in the buisness.

I had a bit of a problem trying to retrieve my "free guest book" from the author's website, and as soon as she was aware of this, she contacted me directly and help me achieve my goal immediately.

I have listed my vacation rental on the author's site and will look forward to taking any bookings that come in as a result of this completely free advertising.

After communicating with Marie, I can see why she is successful, she is a great "problem solver" Way to go, Marie!

Warmest aloha,
Ilona Coffey
[...]
bch-clb@aloha.net
kauaivacationvillas@yahoo.com
on April 14, 2010
I am a marketing specialist and vacation rental owner, so my curiousity was peaked when reading the reviews about this book.
I am glad I ordered it. A no nonsense approach that provided ideas I hadn't yet encountered. Some techniques are a little scary such as charging considerably more than the competition, which I am afraid to do in the current economy. In less stringent times, I feel this pricing strategy is an intelligent approach. I noticed the book was published in 2007, back in a stronger economy. I have utilized most methods in this book and it is right on target. Definitely a good value and good advice.
on March 12, 2008
Breaking all the Rules: How to Rent Your Vacation Home: A New, Innovative - Rent by Owner -Tool for Preparing, Managing, Advertising & Maintaining Your Rental & Free Welcome Book & Property Listing

I bought this book and let me say my first year of renting was a huge success and It was easy !
This book takes you from start to finish! Easy Read and Easy to follow samples of contracts etc.
Thank you Marie for writing it! It has made my life alot simpler with renting!
on June 4, 2008
Marie Ferguson's book was a great help, and gave me lots of ideas on renting my villa in Florida. I also purchased her Vacation Rental Organizer. It's nice to have all my information on my villa in one place.
on July 17, 2007
Great Book -Right to the point - Lots of ideas that I had never thought about. It got me excited about renting my vacation home. It is filled with detailed lists and instructions. I was left with very few questions. Knowing that I can write to Marie with my questions is very comforting. I have had rental properties for many years, but never thought of the ideas in this book. I can see how vacation rentals are changing for the better. Only wish I had this book years ago. Thanks Marie!
on February 22, 2008
This book is not worth it. Although it does have gems like "provide clean linens" & "screen your renters"-who'd would have thunk it?
on July 24, 2007
I have recently purchased a vacation property and this book gave great, easy suggestions on how to successfully rent out my property. It was very useful and gave me some great ideas! I would recommend it to anyone who has a rental property or even to people who are thinking of purchasing a rental property.
on July 25, 2007
Marie, I received your book in the mail yesterday and last night, I read it from cover to cover. It was easy-to-read, informative, and directly to the point. I am planning on purchasing a vacation home soon. It is comforting to know that I can do exactly what you suggested in your book to create the kind of rental I would be proud to present to renters. And, it is nice to know I will be able to supplement my income to cover the new expenses that come along with owning a new home. Thank you for sharing your experiences and writing your book.
on January 3, 2009
Its a great book!!!!!

Last spring I bought a vacation home with the intentions of renting it out. I am a busy mom with very little time, but I figured I would give it a try.

Well, a friend of mine told me about Marie's book so I bought it. After I read it, everything fell into place! She answered all my questions and then some, things I never thought about. This book is a no-nonsense book! Gets right to the point. There's no advertisement pages (like other rental books on the market) to take up space. - just pure information on how to rent out your vacation home.

I use her Welcome Book she sent me, "customized" for my vacation home and my guests find it very helpful. Marie also listed my property on her website too for all of 2009 - free of charge - free advertisement.

I love Marie's ideas on how to prepare your home for rentals. Her system made it easy for me to use as well as for my housekeeper. She gave me some creative ideas on welcome gifts. And, how to handle security deposits, house keys, rental rules, rental agreements and what to do about cancellations.

Also, Marie helped me with screening your renters, what to say, and how to find out if they are qualified or not.

Marie gave me ideas on how to take the best pictures for advertisement. I emailed her pictures and she gave me free advice. It is so nice knowing she is there to answer all of my questions. Thank you Marie!!

If you are new at this like I am, then I strongly suggest getting this book. Marie walks you throught the entire process. And, if you email Marie, she will answer all of your questions (if you still have any after reading her book) and she will add your property on her website too.