Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,867 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,250 reviews
on January 15, 2017
(-)Why is the new strategy to get you hooked on a TV show, or purchases thereof, and then split the purchasing in two for the final seasons of something. I hate that, and has gotten me NOT to buy several iterations of TV shows on DVD or BluRay. I hate being toyed with, financially. Like a drug dealer that gives FREE tastes of drugs and then the horror pricing hits you after addiction.

(+)OK, enough on the negative, great TV show from AMC. The subject matter is dark, whether dark drama or dark humor. Not everyone is going to find this a diamond in the rough, but maybe just a zircon diamond. I think it is wonderful either way. People thrown in to desperate circumstances, which only makes the desperation more dire by their actions. Lies upon more lies, and illegal doings, by a mild mannered family-man school teacher devolving into a hellish world. Bryan Cranston and others won several awards during this shows run, and deservedly so.

This is the first of a volumes 1-2 with 8 episodes, and a final 8 episodes follow later. The show has one of the best endings ever, because it crosses all the T's and dots all the I's for a complete ending scenario. So buy this and the follow up 8 episodes. Great TV!! BUT don't look for puppies or hugs and kisses here.
on February 8, 2014
For a long time now, television programs have been making great strides in terms of quality, production values and acting. Some of the shows we've been seeing in recent years really are prime examples of what can happen when you marry exceptional stories to inspired acting. The old bias against "the ghetto of television" is being eroded more with every passing year, and one show that deserves a large amount of credit for that turnaround is Breaking Bad.

Bryan Cranston is so wonderful as chemistry teacher turned meth kingpin Walter White that his performance could easily obscure the other actors in this series...but the majority of them are so perfectly cast that you just can't help but marvel how wonderful they are. From Dean Norris as DEA agent (and brother-in-law to Walter) Hank Schrader to Walt's long-suffering partner in crime Jesse Pinkman, a heart-breakingly vulnerable Aaron Paul, this show rarely misses. And even the odd average bit of acting you see here and there ends up being elevated by how truly magnificent the material is.

Breaking Bad gets a lot of comparisons to Scarface. Never having watched that movie in its entirety, (I have a hard time with Al Pacino's accent) I can neither confirm nor deny the validity of that statement, but what I CAN tell you is that this is a gripping tale of a seemingly mild-mannered man who, through a twist of fate, discovers the villain within and discovers too, his genius, and we see just how much he will let go of in pursuit of the gratification of his ego. Conversely, his partner Jesse, who starts the series as a petty drug dealer, finds that as Walt becomes increasingly distant from his morality, Jesse realizes just how close his always was.

From the cat-and-mouse between Walt and Hank to the complex relationship that exists between Walt and his wife and children, to the string of adversaries that Walt faces in his rise to the top, there is nothing in this show that isn't handled beautifully. If it seems like I'm gushing, it's because I am. I can't say enough good things about this show. It is, by turns, suspenseful, blackly humorous, and touching, often all at the same time. Very few stories strike this balance, and even fewer do it as well as Breaking Bad.

If you haven't seen this series yet, whether it's because you've felt like you just couldn't fit in one more, you haven't made the time, or you haven't any idea what all the fuss was about...do yourself a favor: watch it. Very few things in life live up to the hype. This does.
on August 26, 2017
In the penultimate season, there's still some cleanup to do before Walt and Jesse can finally feel like they're in the clear. Then there's the matter of setting up a brand new business and taking on a new and dangerous partner. Walt's descent into darkness rapidly accelerates here, and Jesse is only starting to see the monster he's created. It makes for a painful watch when you realize your "hero" is quickly turning villain.
on August 16, 2016
Breaking Bad is one of my favorite shows to binge watch. Amazing storyline, very well acted and [to a degree] educational! For example, Season 5 Episode One, Walter White taught us all how to up the amperage --by suggesting we run the batteries in parallel! Never heard of such a thing before... had to give this a try. Now my kayak air horns can really crank!

Viking Horns V400-SS Loud marine and boat stainless steel dual trumpet electric horn

Seriously, Thank You Walter!
review image
on September 13, 2017
I just found this video episode on my account. And I certainly know where it came from. My girlfriend, Elisabeth Feldman. See, she passed away at some point after buying this episode, so I'll never know whether she got to watch it or not, but I do know that she loved this series. So seeing that she got this on my account, the reason why will remain an eternal mystery, it just made me just sit and be drenched in all of my fond memories of her. It's like a memorial.
Rest in peace, sweetheart.
on March 12, 2013
This show beats out not just all other television but also all films I have seen in recent memory. It's plotline, character development and cinematography are original, compelling, unpredictable and utterly addictive. The acting is exceptional. The initial premise is outrageous, but the execution so good that the story seems completely plausible on its own terms. This is not a television series in which the larger picture plotline is strung out over time to keep viewers watching the individual episodes. The story unfolds relentlessly as it would in a film. The number of hours in a television series, however, permits a more nuanced story that nevertheless moves at a tireless pace. It is both a serious character drama and an edge of your seat, nail biting action film. Each episode sticks in one's head for days afterward. Simply excellent. There are only a few episodes left after Season 5 Part 1. It will be very hard to go back to the regular fare when it is all over.
on July 5, 2013
I watched sopranos back in the day. I have watched dexter for years. I have watched homeland since it began and they are all very good. Breaking Bad beats them all. I couldn't wait to get home each night to watch 3 more episodes! Having the series in my kindle has spoiled me for other series that are still currently being shown. Watching one episode and waiting a full week is tough stuff now!
I purchased the 1st year of breaking bad and never watched it because I am not a fan of drug glorification now that I have children. I watched a bit of the 4th season while getting my oil changed and realized, while the mechanic worked, that his was not about glorification at all and was hooked from that day on. Started watching the series I had bought soon after that. You love Walter, you hate Jesse. You hate Walter, you love Jesse. In the end (thus far) you realize that they would have all been happier and left a better legacy for themselves with those they love if they had continued their merger boring existence instead of choosing this path.
It's a great series! Worth the price so far.
on April 30, 2017
Breaking Bad is hands down the best series ever shown on television; bad and sick and demented and horrific and full of drug use and lies and mean spirited people. I am forced to watch it every time it comes back on as a show marathon. I cannot help myself. I am addicted, happily so.
on June 8, 2013
First let me say that Breaking Bad is simply the best TV drama ever. I can't say enough good things about it. And, yes, I am a big fan of The Wire, and on a given day might give that one the nod for different reasons. But no other show ever has embedded such moral complexity within an urgently explosive narrative. Walter White's character arc is meteoric; he turns weakness into strength and fails to realize the weakness of his own ambition. It's the closest we have to Greek tragedy, and at its best evokes what Joyce called "the terrible emotions of pity and awe."

All this is the more stunning when you realize that it's from AMC, the network that brings you bowdlerized versions of Pulp Fiction and The Big Lebowski ("This is what happens when you meet a stranger in the Alps!"). Realizing that AMC brought you Breaking Bad is like one day discovering that Lithuania has landed an exploration party on Mars and brought it back safe--and you didn't even know they had a space program!

Okay, let's talk about Season V now. In a way it's the calm before the storm, everything leading up to Season VI, which will be the final conflict and the resolution of the series. Naturally, this could have been just a waiting period, and we would have been okay with a lull. Walter White has just won a major victory (and lost his soul into the bargain), but now he's broke. How he gets back on top in "the game"--and what that costs him--is what Season V is all about. There is plenty of action, but what is riveting is the growth of Walter's moral disaster and his hubris. He has become a god in his own mind and in the minds of many others. His inevitable fall in Season VI will be horrifying and riveting.

Already we see that Vince Gilligan, the show's creator and best writer, is giving us intimations that there is a big final confrontation to come: in the first episode of V we see Walt a year older and he is in a Denny's buying an M-60, for what reason we don't know. My immediate thought was: here comes the "Say hello to my little friend!" bloodbath. And then Gilligan underscores that by having Walt watching exactly that part of Scarface with Walt, Jr. Still, all this could still be misdirection on Gilligan's part. He's fooled me before when I thought I knew what was coming. That is one of the joys of Breaking Bad, in fact. It's so good and builds up such tension that you can't stop trying to figure out what will happen next. And even when you're 100% sure what *has* to happen, Gilligan makes something else happen that is not only different but surprising and better than you imagined it could be.

I can't recommend this show enough. My friends who haven't seen it I nag incessantly about how good it is and they tell me I'm overselling it--until they get hooked themselves. "It's even better than you said," one of them confided. "I thought no show could possible be as good as you were making this one out to be, but in retrospect everything you said now seems like understatement."

Watch it. Watch it all. Best on Blu-Ray, but any way you can get it.
on May 1, 2014
By 2012, "Breaking Bad" was a cultural phenomenon--most people who had never watched the show had probably at least heard of it. Viewership was up sharply for these eight episodes originally broadcast on AMC in the summer of 2012--the decision was made to split the final season into two parts, and this DVD set contains the first half of Season Five.

These episodes see more outstanding writing and plot twists--Walter (Bryan Cranston), Jesse (Aaron Paul), and the other characters at times want to break free of each other and from their life of crime but are unable to do so. Walt's pride makes several more appearances, as he is clinging to the meth business as a means of reversing past life defeats.

As has been the case throughout, Walt's relationships with the other characters have their ups and downs, and the amusing cliffhanger of these episodes points toward the final resolution in the last episodes of the series. And as always, there are the scenic shots of the New Mexico desert that provide a superb setting for "Breaking Bad."

Special features on this DVD set include brief commentary by series creator Vince Gilligan and some of the lead characters. The first half of Season Five of "Breaking Bad" won the 2013 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series, and set the stage for an unforgettable final eight episodes of the television series that many critics claim is one of the best ever.