Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 12, 2016
It's Lars von Trier, so I should not be surprised by just how depressing this film was, and yet....

Emily Watson is charming/heartbreaking/naive/childlike/honest/painful and so very gifted in the role of Bess, the girl from the small cultish Scottish Presbyterian town who falls in love with and marries an outsider. Her descent into delusion is as stunning as it is wretched.

We watched it on a Saturday night on a whim, because Nic Sheff had mentioned watching it in rehab in his memoir, and we realised it was sitting on our Amazon watch list. The other alternative was Louie, so you can see we were ill-prepared for the weight of this film. Bizarre (but cool, somehow) musical interludes between chapters aside, this film is like slipping slowly off the face of a cliff. I cried (x3). I grabbed for my boyfriend and made him agree (x4) that this was one of the saddest and most disturbing films we had ever seen. I cried again. By the end I felt hollow and sure that the God that she prays to through the film could not exist (or is a total jerk).

I can highly recommend this film with the disclaimer that is is dark and deeply depressing, and there are a lot of bearded little old Presbyterian men who talk and dress like a Salem Witch Trial trope.
on October 28, 2016
Breaking The Waves simply did not resonate with me. I love that von Trier makes women the lead characters in almost all of his movies, and Emily Watson displays her exceptional acting talents in attempting to bring life to Bess, a simple, newlywed, piou young woman, living in a tiny Scottish village where she is treated as an outcast. Yet her faith never waivers, even when her husband, played by von Trier favorite, Stellan Skarsgård, is paralyzed in an off-shore oil rig accident. Sadly, for me, despite the fine acting, and beautiful cinematography, writer-director von Trier never sold me on the story, and totally lost me on the ending. To say that von Trier is avant-garde is an understatement, so maybe I just missed what he was trying to do in this movie, and others may get it. But, it will require some attention and thought.
on December 2, 2016
Made me uncomfortable and made me think at the same time....Not many films pull that off...
on July 18, 2017
Well made, exactly as described. But I like the smaller size better for my particular needs.
on September 22, 2016
Mesmerizing. Emily Watson was amazing!!!
on September 18, 2016
Tragic love story. Well worth watching.
on April 6, 2015
Love, God and tragedy crystallize over the simple-minded but incredibly endearing Bess McNeil. Acting, music and filming locations are all fantastic. Filmed in the typical Lars Von Trier style: close-up, jumpy and always building tension. Put on your seatbelt and get the Kleenex.
on September 3, 2016
Lars Von Trier's masterpiece, one of the greatest love stories on film, one of the most moving films ever made. It will haunt you for years, as it has me, about questions of the nature of love, the nature of God, the nature of morality.
on February 9, 2016
I loved this movie and would like to watch it again. Highly recommend -
on November 4, 2016
Artistically directed, but an interesting watch if you enjoy foreign films.