Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 14, 2014
I am a runner. I don't do weightlifting and I do not like to cross train much. I got this DVD because I was getting bored of the treadmill during one very cold and snowy winter. I thought this would be a good work out for the days that I want to take it easier and just get my heart to pumping. Man, was I wrong! This is NOT easy! I chose to do Amy's level of intensity and I was so out of breath and energy after 6 drills that there was not way I could do drills # 7 and # 8. I was furious and yet excited to commit to this challenge. After about 4 times of trying to do the whoe video, I managed to finish all drills after my fifth attempt. I bought two more Breathless Body videos shortly after, and I love every one of them. And I have developed stronger legs and core after doing at least two of these per week. If you are training to a half marathon or a marathon, or you simply want to run longer distances, this is a perfect cross training routine. Get it- you will not regret it! And for all guys out there that think they are tough and this is only for girls, well..... I would like to see you finish the entire video!
on January 25, 2017
Purchased Breathless Body: Ultimate Calorie Burn as wells as Body 3: HIIT It Big based upon other's reviews. Being a Huge Insanity and Insanity Asylum fan I wanted something I could incorporate into my routines that would be just as challenging but help break up and be something different from Shaun T as I've been doing those videos for 4 years. I personally like Body 3 better than this DVD, thus why I am giving it a slightly lower rating, however I am a fan of this video and Amy Dixon does a nice job with encouragement and explaining the drills. The main reason I like Body 3 better is I personally like the longer Tabata segments (40 seconds on with 20 seconds rest rather than this Video which is 20 seconds with a 10 second rest). I felt the longer segments provided a bit more of a challenge and at least it felt like to me a little harder workout. Body 3 also has an Ab segment at the end as well as a cool down stretch; I wish this video would provide stretching at the beginning and end. As others have commented, there are 3 Levels of intensity, so a beginner could do this video, I followed Level 3 throughout and would compare doing Amy Dixon's video at Level 3 is a nice mix-up and addition to my daily Insanity workouts. Much like Insanity, I feel like the time flies by. I would recommend this DVD and I am glad I have this one and Body 3 to mix into my weekly rotation.
VINE VOICEon July 3, 2011
This may be the hardest cardio workout video I own. Since what one person's advanced workout is another person's warm-up, I will provide some perspective on my exercise level. Since a naturally fast metabolism is not in my genes, I work hard to stay in shape because I know I gain weight extremely easily (I lost a lot of weight years ago and I work hard to maintain this). I run 3-4 times a week, often incorporating sprint and hill runs. I do an advanced level 1 hr bootcamp class twice a week (pull ups, hill runs, jump-ups, man-makers, etc) and I also do weight training. I have a resting heart rate in the 40s (bpm). I think I am pretty good shape. I think this workout is really hard and effective and a major butt kicker. This is a cardio junkie's dream workout.

This is a high intensity interval training (HIIT) workout based on the tabata protocol, which means you go full intensity cardio for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds. This is repeated 8 times per exercise interval. There are eight intervals in this workout. Between intervals, there is a short recovery period where you are performing a low intensity move while Amy runs through the next series of exercises. For each interval, there are three levels of intensity (beginner, intermediate, advanced). There are two other exercisers in addition to Amy who perform either the beginner of the advanced workout. This workout requires no additional equipment (you use your own body). Many of the exercises are high impact (with the exception of the beginner's level). Amy is very personable instructor with a great you-can-do it attitude.

A break down of the workout:

Approximately 5 minute warm up

She she has you doing side steps as she demonstrates interval one.

Interval one, jumping jack series. Beginner is basic jumping jacks. Intermediate, squat jacks. Advanced, jumping air jacks.

Side step again during demonstration of interval 2

Interval 2, Side skater series. Beginner is basic side skate. Intermediate adds a touching the ground on skate. Advanced, side skate landing on one leg and touch the ground.

Touch backs during demonstration

Interval 3 is the volley ball jump series. Beginner is a basic squat and shoot. Intermediate, burpee stand up and shoot. Advanced, Burpee jump down to a hover in a plank jump up and shoot.

March wide during demonstration

Interval 4 is fast feet. Beginner is fast feet. Intermediate run with high knees. Advanced open legs wide and do wide high knees.

Step tap during demonstration.

Interval 5 is the core kick series. Beginner is mountain climber, intermediate is a butt kick (plank and jump and kick your self in the butt). Advanced is a donkey kick (from a plank, jump and kick your legs up and out.

Step backs during demonstration

Interval 6 is the power lunge series. Beginner is a reverse lunge. Intermediate two jump lunges and hold. Advanced is jumping reverse lunges (keep going without break).

squats during demonstration

Interval 7 is squat series. Beginner is squat with high punch low punch 2 times then change sides. Intermediate squat punch low come up punch high reverse side. Advanced is 180 degree squat jumps with a punch.

tap back during demonstration

Interval 8 is pogo jumps. Beginner is leg back and forward. One side only. Change legs for next interval. Intermediate. Lunge back come up and bring knee to chest. Advanced. Lunge back jump up into the air bringing fist into the air.

Cool down.

All in all a great workout and one of the only tabata style workouts that I know of on the market (there is one in the supreme 90 day workout series and if you know of another one, please leave a comment!) I was dripping sweat at the end. Highly recommend.
1717 comments| 206 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 1, 2017
This is a really good workout guaranteed to make you sweat. I read a few reviews about those who said it wasn't difficult enough...really? The adanvced level is much too tough for me. If you can do the advanced with ankle weights and find it too easy, you should probably try-out for the CrossFit Competition because you are what anyone would consider to be an elite athlete.
on October 12, 2016
This is a very athletic DVD. I did this DVD for two weeks three times a week.....I'm sure for someone it's a great choice but it's a bit difficult for this 44 year old...I'm back to my Leslie workouts. They are way more enjoyable and I feel I get better results
on June 17, 2016
I did this workout for the first time today and I loved it. I have been suffering from sciatica for a while and I have not been able to work out. I still have pain but I wanted to get back to working out so I decided to try this DVD. really like that this workout has three people doing different levels of the workout. There is one that does more of a lower impact, another does a little higher impact, and the third person does the high impact. I was able to get through the entire workout doing either level 1 or level 2 and sometime switching back and forth between those two levels. This is a fun workout, I enjoyed doing it, and I got a really good workout. I think the title of this DVD is perfect, because after doing this workout I was definitely Breathless. I highly recommend this DVD because it has something for everyone regardless of what fitness level you are currently at. .
on April 13, 2014
This is a tough workout. I was sweating and breathing hard the whole time. I was very proud of myself for completing the entire workout without stopping. I've been working out for a while and I have lost over 50 (and have to lose about 50 more) pounds. Recently, I've hit a plateau in my weightloss. I knew that I needed to challenge myself in order to break through the plateau. I had seen a preview for this video months ago and thought, "Oh heck no, I can't do that". I read the reviews here and actually found a site where I could watch the whole video before hand and decided that now was the time to try it. The goal is defintely to be breathless, so you have to push yourself past your comfort zone. There are low impact modifications if you are newer to working out. If you are an advanced exerciser there are modifications for that as well. This video is worth putting into your rotation. Amy Dixon is a great instructor she's encouraging with out being too annoying or overly chipper. She's sweating, breathless and working hard with you which really helps! I hightly recommend this workout, especially if you want a new challenge or if you have a plateau to break through.
on August 19, 2014
If your goal is to torch calories and drop pounds, definitely choose this workout dvd by Amy Dixon. This workout utilizes Tabata- which is basically a physical workout in interval drills. You do high-intensity activity for 20 seconds and then recover for 10 seconds. There are 8 drills total in the dvd, and each of those 8 drills is performed 8 times- (20 seconds of activity, followed by 10 seconds of rest). Some of the drills were new to me (ole lunges, core kicks, and pogo jumps) while others I was already familiar with- like power jacks, speed skaters, and athletic beach volleyball (which at an intermediate level is basically a burpee).

A very good aspect of this workout is that there are three levels given for each drill (beginning, intermediate and advanced)- so you can perform the workout at your level, and increase in difficulty as you progress. You can mix it up as you like- Some drills you'll be able to do at an advanced level, while others you can only do at an intermediate level. Or you can do 50%advanced and 50% intermediate for any given drill. Just do what you can, while always pushing yourself.

My advice is to pace yourself as you go through this workout. I intentionally don't give 110% at the beginning, because I want to be able to finish the workout. Another piece of advice which many fitness professionals will give you is that form trumps quantity- meaning it is better to perform fewer repetitions in good form than to perform many repetitions with sloppy form. Get the form down first, and eventually the number of reps you do will increase.

I am a fan of Amy Dixon. She is an athlete herself, and in my opinion former athletes and competitors make some of the best fitness instructors. Her workouts really make me sweat, and I am getting to an advanced level, so finding a workout that challenges me is becoming more difficult.

Finally, just to compare this dvd to volume 2 (which I actually bought first). Volume 2 (Breathless Body: The Edge) is also a great workout. Follows a similar outline, except that your intervals of both activity and rest are a little bit longer).

I highly recommend Amy Dixon and this dvd, especially if weight loss and burning calories are your main goal.
on January 30, 2014
My absolute least favorite of the series. I didn't think I would have a problem completing 8 sets of one exercise. After all you only do them for 20 seconds with 10 second rest. After the 4th round I was ready to do something else. My mind was dumbfounded at the thought of repeating the same exercise another 4 times. I just couldn't get my heart rate up. I did complete the entire workout, but I will not be doing it again. I will stick to the breathless body 2 and 3. They are more my style of workouts.
on November 10, 2013
I just finished this workout and could not wait to review it. I'm in good shape but admit that I tend to avoid super high-intensity training and was leery of trying this workout because I'd never done Tabata.

Pros:
1) Perfect, consistent cueing
2) EXCELLENT modifiers. I switched from the advanced versions, intermediate, and beginner all throughout. Beginners, you CAN do this!
3) Tabata is definitely worth trying. It's great to push yourself really hard, knowing that a break is only 10 seconds away.
4) No complicated moves!
5) The warm-up and cool-down were some of the best I've ever experienced and did not feel like a waste of time, as some others do.

In other words, it's worth the money!