- Actors: Richard Gere, Valérie Kaprisky, Art Metrano, John P. Ryan, William Tepper
- Directors: Jim McBride
- Writers: Jim McBride, François Truffaut, Jean-Luc Godard, L.M. Kit Carson
- Producers: Keith Addis, Martin Erlichman
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, Original recording reissued, NTSC
- Rated: RestrictedR
- Number of tapes: 1
- Studio: Fox Home Entertainme
- VHS Release Date: April 4, 2000
- Run Time: 100 minutes
- Average Customer Review: 3.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (82 customer reviews)
- ASIN: 0792844661
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #333,135 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Top Customer Reviews
Any good girl who's ever been in love with Mr. Wrong (myself included!) will hold an appreciation for this movie. The central characters, Monica Poiccard (Kaprisky) and Jesse Lujack (Gere) are perfect in their diametric opposition to each other. Monica is an honors Architecture student at UCLA with a bright future ahead of her; Jesse is a small-time, smart-alec hood whose big ambition in life is to emulate his hero, the comic-book character Silver Surfer. While speeding through the desert, he is pulled over by and accidentally shoots and kills a cop. Needing a place to hide, Jesse pops back into Monica's life. He was merely a fling she'd had while on vacation in Las Vegas, but she was something much more to him. Jesse's lifestyle revolts and excites Monica at the same time, which is why she takes up with him as he drags her along with him on a high-energy run from the law.
I consider this film to be one of my guilty pleasures. Despite its aforementioned drawbacks, it possesses a lush decadence that's quite entertaining. I recommend it to anyone who wants to indulge!
Richard Gere plays Jesse Lujack, a small time criminal who just happens to kill a cop. He doesn't set out to do so, it just happens but this one act drags him into a trap which is, of course, of his own making.
His flight from the police who are determined to nail the cop killer takes him back to student Monica Poiccard (Kapriski) an old girlfriend. To him, she was an important and significant part of his life but to her, he was just an interlude whom she never expected to see again but, in a kind of "what the heck" mood she takes up with him and his troubles.
Gere really is doing a fine job here. The script favours him but nonetheless, he is totally convincing in this film He really is Lujack.
However much he tries to prevent it, the ending is pretty much inevitable but on the way Gere and Kapriski have some laughs. They live for the moment and, essentially they do enjoy the moments despite the bigger picture and that is what this film is all about. It's good to watch and enjoy. It is not a polarising moment in cinema history but, if you can forget the film's origins and hope only for an entertaining movie, it will not let you down.
If you like this film, I'd recommend "The Passenger" with Jack Nicholson and Maria Schneider. It shares the same theme of a woman taking up with a man in big trouble and it is a much better movie although it is a serious film and does not have the laughs of Breathless.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Thank you for my purchase. Completely satisfied with my dvd.Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Breathless, 1983 film
It is night, a thief steals a car and drives away. He plays a famous song from the late 1950s. There is a pistol in the glove compartment. Read more
I love this movie. And I love, as is obvious from reading thevreviews, that sounds many other people live it too. Read morePublished 10 months ago by Colin S. Boyd
This is some of Richard Gere's earlier work and it was actually more agreeable than I expected; and Valérie Kaprisky, too, was more than the gorgeous eye-candy she usually... Read morePublished 10 months ago by Ish-ka-bibble
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Cult Movies > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > Action > General
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > All Fox Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > MGM Home Entertainment > MGM Movie Time