Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 3, 2012
The kettle was a replacement for a plastic kind that I had used previously. After my "old" kettle broke down (the water level window popped off) I had decided to aim for something a bit better built without any windows or weaknesses where water could eventually find its way through.

Picked this kettle as it seemed to fit the criteria. No plastic cheap viewing window, won't break easily if dropped (not tested) unlike the glass kettle(s) and reviews seem favorable. Bought the kettle and put it to use as soon as it arrived on June 23rd 2011 (literally minutes after it arrived I had washed it, boiled one max fill and poured it down the drain to prep the kettle).

It has been used on daily bases (multiple times) up until about 3 days ago when I noticed that kettle is displaying curious symptoms, namely I will turn the kettle on and it would not boil water until I turn it off and then on again. Also sometimes it will start to boil the water but then cut out half way through or turn on and off in random cycles. It is still usable, simple turn off and on usually fixes the problem and kettle boils the water as expected.

It has lasted Almost 10 months without any issues, no spills, no leaks and nothing broke off (yet!). For the price I'd say it served it's purpose well enough although product life expectancy might be something to be longed for in this case. Having said that I am giving this product 4 stars out of 5. Others might have had better luck with their orders of this product however, so I would recommend basing your decision on more than one review.

UPDATE (December 3rd 2012): It has been almost a year and a half since I bought this kettle so I believe I can comment on it's performance and life-expectancy a bit better. Since the kettle is still operational (with occasional glitches described above) I have upgraded the rating to full 5 stars.

The kettle still works as well as it did when I wrote the original review. An occasional mishap when the kettle fails to turn on or cuts out during the use before it finishes the job it has survived through is not enough of an issue. It's more of a nuisance that I have learnt to accept. The kettle works as well as expected for a product that was designed by an imperfect being (a human I hope?).

The upgrade of the rating is due to the simple fact that the kettle has not developed any additional issues (no leaks, no broken parts or bits missing) ,it looks exactly as it did when it arrived 12.5 months ago (maybe not as clean I'll admit, since I can never get into little nooks an crannies around the handle).

UPDATE (March 15th 2013): A curious development with the kettle. The issue that I had described before where it would fail to turn on or it would turn off too early etc. has now vanished. Kettle is still performing as when it was when we first got it which actually amazes me as I am one of those people that think companies nowadays tend to design their products to fail within a certain period of time and therefore make us buy products more frequently. The kettle did not develop any new issues after being used every day on average about 4 times (sometimes more often). If I HAD to pick one thing to complain about I'd say that the base is too light which means that the heavy duty cable will move it about depending on how you have it positioned. Obviously this is picking at straws so to say, honestly it has lasted longer than any kettle I've used before (and I've used a few back in the UK). This one's definitely recommended if you want something that will last you.

UPDATE (December 26th 2013): Last time when I used this kettle it was still working as previously no new issues had been noted and no new developments or failures. Unfortunately we have moved onto a different device that's a little faster and more convenient (Keurig B70 Platinum Brewing System), this will likely be the last update. All in all the kettle performed better than more expensive and cheaper ones that we've used before it. I would definitely recommend it!
66 comments| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 31, 2013
Like many others I was intimidated by the scary California cancer warning label on the box. I'm glad it didn't stop me from buying it. I'm a US Soldier and am deployed right now. My guys and I use the kettle everyday from making soft boiled eggs, Ramon noodles, or most of all, heating water for a good cup of herbal tea. I guess it is made with something that might give you cancer though, so I have to give it 4 out of 5 stars.
review imagereview imagereview image
33 comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 18, 2016
Warning!!! Do not buy this kettle. Extreme fire hazard. I purchased this kettle in December 2015. The internal electrical or heating elements in the base of kettle are melting through to the outside. You can actually smell the wires burning. I have owned several similar kettles and have never seen anything like this before in my life. Obviously this model needs a recall before someone's house burns down!
review imagereview image
11 comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 9, 2017
Must agree with others, this kettle IS A FIRE HAZARD. After 3 months of regular use this kettle began to melt. A spot on the bottom melted exposing a black wrapped wire that is melting spots on the base each time it is used. Until this happened the little kettle was great But now it has become a stinky hazard.

I contacted the company, thinking it was still under warranty. It is, but in order to get a replacement I must pay shipping both ways. It's a $20 kettle and shipping would cost more than it is worth. They asked me to send photos and then wrote back saying it was very unusual--I must have placed the kettle near another heat source to have caused the burn. No so!

I'm in the market for another, smallish tea kettle, but won't be buying anything from this manufacturer.
on July 14, 2015
I followed cleaning instructions when it arrived (boiling water twice, then pouring it out), then went to boil water in the morning. I then discovered a rust spot at the bottom! Which is bizarre, since it's supposed to be Stainless steel. 2 things:

1) The fact that it rusted so quickly (after 6 hours?) is a bit concerning.
2) My review might be biased because I'm a little cranky from it delaying my oh-so-vital morning coffee.

Dang! I thought I had found that shopping sweet spot (inexpensive product that's still good quality).

I'll have to return it, and plan to spend a little more for its successor (which I hope won't rust). I guess you get what you pay for!
review image
22 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 15, 2016
I don't do a lot of reviews but I had to with this! This is just what I have been looking for! Heats water up fast, no plastic smell and works great!! I have been using this now for over a month and use it 2-3 times a day. No issues and it works great!! For the price, I just might buy a second one to have as a back-up unit or to put one in the garage. Nice item!!

UPDATE: 11/28/16
Went to make a cup of tea this morning at the pot was kind of stuck to the base. It appears that there is a spot on the bottom of the pot that is melting and the plastic is getting on the base and making it stick together. I tried another cup later in the morning and the same thing. There is a soft spot on the bottom of the pot that was hot and melted. I can see this being thrown out very soon! What a disappointment!
on July 19, 2015
I bought this Brentwood 1.2 Liter Stainless Steel Tea Kettle for making coffee and tea. Its design, material and capacity are of my taste. I like it very much.
review imagereview imagereview image
on November 5, 2016
when the first one of these we purchased failed at the switch after 3 or 4 years, I spent more time than I should have researching alternatives. Finally I decided that the reasonable price, minimal interior plastic, and reliability we experienced justified a repeat purchase.
I am delighted to report that the new kettle is the same as the old kettle except that the stainless is even more stainless than the original. The old one seemed to have small inclusions in the metal which discolored and left pits when scrubbed or polished out. No such problems in the new kettle
on November 4, 2017
I have been using the Brentwood 1.2L kettle for about a year now on a regular basis. I mostly use it for pour-over coffee and tea. I usually only fill it to the 0.5L level, and it's boiling by the time I have my pour-over coffee prepared. I have always used filtered water (Britta pitcher), and I have had no problems with leaks or rust. The overall quality and function is very good. I do wish that it had a metal lid, but that's my only complaint. It would have gotten 5 stars if it had a metal lid. I just leave it open, and turn it off manually when it start so boil (it doesn't seem to shut off automatically when you have the lid open, maybe it doesn't get hot enough inside). I am happy with my purchase, and I think this product would be hard to beat for the price.
on February 5, 2013
This is a no-frills cordless tea kettle. It boils 16 oz of water in about two minutes. Except for a plastic lid, the interior is totally stainless steel. The lid opens and closes manually. A well marked rocker switch turns a red pilot light and the heating unit on. When the water boils, the rocker switch automatically returns with a sharp click, turning the unit and the light off. No odors at all, just boiling water. That's all there is to it; no frills indeed. I recommend it highly. Incidentally, the illustration on Amazon shows a black plastic band running down the kettle to the pilot light. The kettle I received does not have this band and I think the unit looks cleaner without it.

Update February 18, 2013. The charging plate has some dead spots. When you put the kettle on it, you have to be careful. Press the rocker switch on, then observe the red pilot light. If it does not light, rotate the pot a bit until it does light. For this small problem, I downgraded one star.

Update March 2015 Now the dead spot is almost the entire plate. It takes us lots of rotations, a minute or more, to find the live spot.
Update April 2015 Dead. Why can't manufacturers make things that last longer? I would willingly pay more. Such a waste.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.