Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 886 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 923 reviews
on April 3, 2012
The kettle was a replacement for a plastic kind that I had used previously. After my "old" kettle broke down (the water level window popped off) I had decided to aim for something a bit better built without any windows or weaknesses where water could eventually find its way through.

Picked this kettle as it seemed to fit the criteria. No plastic cheap viewing window, won't break easily if dropped (not tested) unlike the glass kettle(s) and reviews seem favorable. Bought the kettle and put it to use as soon as it arrived on June 23rd 2011 (literally minutes after it arrived I had washed it, boiled one max fill and poured it down the drain to prep the kettle).

It has been used on daily bases (multiple times) up until about 3 days ago when I noticed that kettle is displaying curious symptoms, namely I will turn the kettle on and it would not boil water until I turn it off and then on again. Also sometimes it will start to boil the water but then cut out half way through or turn on and off in random cycles. It is still usable, simple turn off and on usually fixes the problem and kettle boils the water as expected.

It has lasted Almost 10 months without any issues, no spills, no leaks and nothing broke off (yet!). For the price I'd say it served it's purpose well enough although product life expectancy might be something to be longed for in this case. Having said that I am giving this product 4 stars out of 5. Others might have had better luck with their orders of this product however, so I would recommend basing your decision on more than one review.

UPDATE (December 3rd 2012): It has been almost a year and a half since I bought this kettle so I believe I can comment on it's performance and life-expectancy a bit better. Since the kettle is still operational (with occasional glitches described above) I have upgraded the rating to full 5 stars.

The kettle still works as well as it did when I wrote the original review. An occasional mishap when the kettle fails to turn on or cuts out during the use before it finishes the job it has survived through is not enough of an issue. It's more of a nuisance that I have learnt to accept. The kettle works as well as expected for a product that was designed by an imperfect being (a human I hope?).

The upgrade of the rating is due to the simple fact that the kettle has not developed any additional issues (no leaks, no broken parts or bits missing) ,it looks exactly as it did when it arrived 12.5 months ago (maybe not as clean I'll admit, since I can never get into little nooks an crannies around the handle).

UPDATE (March 15th 2013): A curious development with the kettle. The issue that I had described before where it would fail to turn on or it would turn off too early etc. has now vanished. Kettle is still performing as when it was when we first got it which actually amazes me as I am one of those people that think companies nowadays tend to design their products to fail within a certain period of time and therefore make us buy products more frequently. The kettle did not develop any new issues after being used every day on average about 4 times (sometimes more often). If I HAD to pick one thing to complain about I'd say that the base is too light which means that the heavy duty cable will move it about depending on how you have it positioned. Obviously this is picking at straws so to say, honestly it has lasted longer than any kettle I've used before (and I've used a few back in the UK). This one's definitely recommended if you want something that will last you.

UPDATE (December 26th 2013): Last time when I used this kettle it was still working as previously no new issues had been noted and no new developments or failures. Unfortunately we have moved onto a different device that's a little faster and more convenient (Keurig B70 Platinum Brewing System), this will likely be the last update. All in all the kettle performed better than more expensive and cheaper ones that we've used before it. I would definitely recommend it!
66 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2015
I bought this Brentwood 1.2 Liter Stainless Steel Tea Kettle for making coffee and tea. Its design, material and capacity are of my taste. I like it very much.
review image review image review image
on February 23, 2016
The selling points on this kettle for me were that it used only 1000 watts (which I needed, as my Krups kettle kept tripping the breaker), and that it was just a hair over $20. For those reasons alone, I'd say that this electric tea kettle is great.

However, I returned it for two glaring reasons:
One, the cord is amazingly short on the base. Like maybe(generously) 2 feet.. and it has to wrap around the bottom of the heating element before it threads out the back in order to sit flat on the counter, so really about 1.5 feet long, if you're lucky. If your outlets are higher up on your counter, then you're S.O.L. without an extension cord on this.

Secondly, the kettle is really small. Like imagine a regular sized electric tea kettle, but scaled down to 75%. This in itself isn't that bad if you drink a cup of tea or a pour-over every now and then, but daily I drink a 12-cup french press full of coffee with breakfast (yes.. I know), which would mean a completely full kettle, almost spilling out water from the pour spout to get a full press's worth.

Overall, the pros of the low wattage and price were compelling, but this kettle is merely OK.
on November 13, 2016
Good: it's smaller than some, but big enough for a couple of cups of french press coffee.

Mixed: it runs on fewer watts, thus takes longer to heat water.

Not good: I've found it sitting empty & hot a a few times. Apparently if you pour the water just before it reaches boiling, and neglect to manually turn the pot off, it doesn't turn itself off. I'd been used to another brand which turns off automatically when you lift the pot from its base, so I wasn't accustomed to having to remember to manually turn it off.

Bottom line: The malfunction/fire potential seems too high to me. I wouldn't buy this again.
on February 20, 2016
I bought this exact tea kettle 4 years ago. I used it on average of 5 times a day. I replaced this only because it was looking a little worn for my fussy tendencies, still worked great and I felt fine about donating it. Great size for one or two people. Water level indicator is on the inside. Water heats fast, shuts off when done. Looks good on the counter. Great price. Thanks
on January 5, 2013
Great product but stinks like chemical fumes until used and washed several times. Too bad they don't make them in the USA. Nice that it can be removed from the base for transport. Quick even heating, automatic shutoff works well to prevent over-boiling. This would get 5 stars if it did not stink like chemicals upon opening and first use. Typical for Asian made appliances...
on December 8, 2016
Works very well and quick. I used to boil water for my tea in the microwave, but it just didn't feel right using a mw to just heat water, so I got this. When using the mw it would take a long time, and the cup would get so hot I couldn't touch it. With this kettle the water heats up faster, and after I pour, the tea cup handle doesn't get super hot. It would take forever for the mw heated cup to cool down, so it's nice to have the water cool down quicker and naturally just in time for my steeped tea to be drinkable. The outside of the kettle does get a little too hot to touch, but it has a plastic handle and plastic that runs down the kettle inside the handle, so it's not a problem. I highly recommend this kettle.
on February 10, 2013
I too was looking for a non-plastic kettle to make tea at the office. I was concerned by some of the reviews that mention the carcinogen warnings on the box, but other kettles in this price range were all plastic so I thought I'd try this one.

The inside of the pot is all metal. The lid is plastic, but unless you fill the pot all the way to the top (which you shouldn't do anyway, per instructions) it is a non issue. Also, the lid + handle appear to be made of polypropylene, which does not contain BPA. As some other reviewers have noted, the warning about cancer-causing chemicals likely refers to the plasticizers used to make the electric cord flexible and are present pretty much in all appliances.

The pot boils a liter of water in about 8 minutes. I've had it for over 6 months now and it works great. Also, it is really nice that the base is detachable so you can pour without dragging a cord around or having to unplug the unit. The inside is easy to clean. You can roll the excess cord under the base, to minimize clutter on your counter. It automatically shuts off once the water boils so no safety concerns. Highly recommended.
on May 31, 2013
Like many others I was intimidated by the scary California cancer warning label on the box. I'm glad it didn't stop me from buying it. I'm a US Soldier and am deployed right now. My guys and I use the kettle everyday from making soft boiled eggs, Ramon noodles, or most of all, heating water for a good cup of herbal tea. I guess it is made with something that might give you cancer though, so I have to give it 4 out of 5 stars.
review image review image review image
33 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2017
Good size for small spaces. The downside is it takes longer than other tea kettles to boil. If you lift it before it finishes the peak boil temperature and return it to the stand it doesn't not automatically turn off. So you have to be sure to push the button yourself. The stand element is a bit awkward as it sticks up a bit so you have to land the kettle onto it with extra care. After about 2 months use, it now has a burning smell to it. I've used electric kettles for years and this one is a lower quality compared to the other brands.