Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Brentwood 1.2 Liter Stainless Steel Tea Kettle Model KT-1770
$5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it

Size: 1.2l|Color: Steel|Change

on February 24, 2012
I bought this electric kettle after my stove top kettle needed replacement. It is great -- it boils water very quickly and turns itself off automatically which is a great safety feature. I did a lot of research before I purchased this model, I highly recommend this one -- it gets good reviews and there is no plastic inside the kettle -- many of the others have plastic viewers that are immersed in the hot water, I did not want my hot water in contact with plastic. I haven't found any negative aspects to this kettle and have been using it daily for over three months.
1414 comments| 476 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2012
Who needs an electric kettle? The stove top kind work just fine! I don't need another appliance cluttering up the place!
I thought all of those things too. How wrong I was! I've had this bad boy for a day and I can not tell you how stupid I feel for not only doubting its awesomeness but also for not having bought one years ago.
Let's get into the nitty gritty:
It's fully stainless steal on the inside with the cap up top being the only piece near the water that is plastic. There is no funky chemical or plastic smell with this kettle. The heating element is in the base of the kettle, not the inside.
The water level markings, as someone else mentioned, are on the handle side of the inner chamber which really isn't that big of a convenience unless you want to fill it to the max level.'
*edit: I wrote here about the lid no securing and was corrected! The lid DOES lock into place with a snap.
It will automatically turn off as soon as water comes to a boil. I have a small studio apartment and can hear the "click" of this turning off no matter where I am.
You can set the kettle down any which way on the base and it will work, there is no "secured position" that it needs to be. Handle may face any direction.
Another small feature I really enjoyed was the cord to this can be wrapped up INSIDE the base and secured so that while not in use the cord is completely out of the way. You can wrap it around once for a smaller cord or twice to completely hide it. Such a nice feature since I have such a tiny kitchen!
It heats up pretty quickly, faster than water on the stove.

**Update 1/21/2014** This kettle has brewed its last cuppa. I purchased this August 1st, 2012 and today when I went to unplug it the grounding plug stuck in the outlet. It lasted about a year and half. Don't regret my purchase at all. I used this daily to brew many, many cups of tea. I thought about upgrading to a better one but the price jump is so significant I might just buy another one of these.
review image
33 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2012
The kettle was a replacement for a plastic kind that I had used previously. After my "old" kettle broke down (the water level window popped off) I had decided to aim for something a bit better built without any windows or weaknesses where water could eventually find its way through.

Picked this kettle as it seemed to fit the criteria. No plastic cheap viewing window, won't break easily if dropped (not tested) unlike the glass kettle(s) and reviews seem favorable. Bought the kettle and put it to use as soon as it arrived on June 23rd 2011 (literally minutes after it arrived I had washed it, boiled one max fill and poured it down the drain to prep the kettle).

It has been used on daily bases (multiple times) up until about 3 days ago when I noticed that kettle is displaying curious symptoms, namely I will turn the kettle on and it would not boil water until I turn it off and then on again. Also sometimes it will start to boil the water but then cut out half way through or turn on and off in random cycles. It is still usable, simple turn off and on usually fixes the problem and kettle boils the water as expected.

It has lasted Almost 10 months without any issues, no spills, no leaks and nothing broke off (yet!). For the price I'd say it served it's purpose well enough although product life expectancy might be something to be longed for in this case. Having said that I am giving this product 4 stars out of 5. Others might have had better luck with their orders of this product however, so I would recommend basing your decision on more than one review.

UPDATE (December 3rd 2012): It has been almost a year and a half since I bought this kettle so I believe I can comment on it's performance and life-expectancy a bit better. Since the kettle is still operational (with occasional glitches described above) I have upgraded the rating to full 5 stars.

The kettle still works as well as it did when I wrote the original review. An occasional mishap when the kettle fails to turn on or cuts out during the use before it finishes the job it has survived through is not enough of an issue. It's more of a nuisance that I have learnt to accept. The kettle works as well as expected for a product that was designed by an imperfect being (a human I hope?).

The upgrade of the rating is due to the simple fact that the kettle has not developed any additional issues (no leaks, no broken parts or bits missing) ,it looks exactly as it did when it arrived 12.5 months ago (maybe not as clean I'll admit, since I can never get into little nooks an crannies around the handle).

UPDATE (March 15th 2013): A curious development with the kettle. The issue that I had described before where it would fail to turn on or it would turn off too early etc. has now vanished. Kettle is still performing as when it was when we first got it which actually amazes me as I am one of those people that think companies nowadays tend to design their products to fail within a certain period of time and therefore make us buy products more frequently. The kettle did not develop any new issues after being used every day on average about 4 times (sometimes more often). If I HAD to pick one thing to complain about I'd say that the base is too light which means that the heavy duty cable will move it about depending on how you have it positioned. Obviously this is picking at straws so to say, honestly it has lasted longer than any kettle I've used before (and I've used a few back in the UK). This one's definitely recommended if you want something that will last you.

UPDATE (December 26th 2013): Last time when I used this kettle it was still working as previously no new issues had been noted and no new developments or failures. Unfortunately we have moved onto a different device that's a little faster and more convenient (Keurig B70 Platinum Brewing System), this will likely be the last update. All in all the kettle performed better than more expensive and cheaper ones that we've used before it. I would definitely recommend it!
66 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2013
Like many others I was intimidated by the scary California cancer warning label on the box. I'm glad it didn't stop me from buying it. I'm a US Soldier and am deployed right now. My guys and I use the kettle everyday from making soft boiled eggs, Ramon noodles, or most of all, heating water for a good cup of herbal tea. I guess it is made with something that might give you cancer though, so I have to give it 4 out of 5 stars.
review image review image review image
44 comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2011
I have always used a stove top kettle, so I was leery to try out an electric kettle. When I received the product it was easy to get going. The first time I filled the entire kettle with cold water and boiled it through. It boiled very quickly and the automatic shut off worked great!

One of the reasons I tried an electric kettle is because I could never find a stove top kettle that poured smooth and didn't run all over the counter. This product pours smoother than anything I have found and doesn't agitate the tea bag.

Over all this is a great product and I would recommend this to anyone.
0Comment| 193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2012
I like the design and size of the kettle. I used it almost daily for about a month without a problem, and then one day it simply stopped working--it won't turn on. So that's a letdown.
33 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2011
As one who constantly burned up traditional kettles, I liked the idea of electric kettles that shut themselves off. My first one was plastic-with the heating element in the water. While I closer to the concept, it was not really what I wanted. I saw this kettle design and I love it. It is stainless steel, and the heating element is in the pad below and not in the water itself. It heats quickly, and shuts itself off. The stainless keeps the temperatures warm for qute some time after shutting off. So, even if I do not catch it right away, the water is usually still hot by the time I want to use it. It looks attractive sitting on the counter, and is easy to keep clean.

Would definitely buy another!!
0Comment| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2014
I bought this kettle for my parents for Christmas last year. They're very consistent and love having boiled water so this kettle's gotten a fair amount of usage since December 25, 2013. Unfortunately the kettle seems to already have rusted all around the inside on the bottom as well as on the rim. The spout looks like it's starting to rust too. I don't think my parents have a filter on the tap water but they wash their kettle regularly. At this point I'm uncertain whether it's mineral deposits or actual rust since I don't live at home to see it for myself but I've instructed my mom to clean it out with a vinegar/water solution to see if the "rust" will disappear. I will be posting an update when she gets a chance to do that. Until then, this kettle isn't living up to the great reviews I read earlier prior to purchasing.
review image
on December 26, 2012
I returned this kettle and bought Hampton Beach's instead. Two key features no one had mentioned that were dealbreakers:
1. It took 12 minutes to boil the full pot from tepid tap water. My stove top tea kettle takes the same amount of time.
2. You can't see the water level from the outside.
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 15, 2012
I first got turned onto electric kettles when I went overseas (Asia) and saw them in every hotel I was staying in- I kept thinking 'How cool is this?!'& 'I really need to get ones of these when I get back home' and I can say how happy that I have! Boils water in just minutes and I love the fact it has an automatic shut off. I use it for everything: tea, instant coffee, oatmeal, cup of noodles, and even just hot water to start the boil process when I make pasta. I know the last one was a little silly but it really does cut the boil time down- especially when you are trying to boil A LOT of water and you really don't want to wait 15min for water to boil.

Here are some tips for you: Remember to run water through the kettle a few times before you actually use the water. That way you can clean it all the way through. And also when your done using the kettle instead of throwing the extra water away, why not save the water for drinking? I stick my extra water away in the fridge to drink later so I am not wasting water. And my last tip is to always remember to clean/dry the top of the kettle. I know that it is stainless steal but you can never be too careful when it comes to rust. :)