Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on April 3, 2012
The kettle was a replacement for a plastic kind that I had used previously. After my "old" kettle broke down (the water level window popped off) I had decided to aim for something a bit better built without any windows or weaknesses where water could eventually find its way through.

Picked this kettle as it seemed to fit the criteria. No plastic cheap viewing window, won't break easily if dropped (not tested) unlike the glass kettle(s) and reviews seem favorable. Bought the kettle and put it to use as soon as it arrived on June 23rd 2011 (literally minutes after it arrived I had washed it, boiled one max fill and poured it down the drain to prep the kettle).

It has been used on daily bases (multiple times) up until about 3 days ago when I noticed that kettle is displaying curious symptoms, namely I will turn the kettle on and it would not boil water until I turn it off and then on again. Also sometimes it will start to boil the water but then cut out half way through or turn on and off in random cycles. It is still usable, simple turn off and on usually fixes the problem and kettle boils the water as expected.

It has lasted Almost 10 months without any issues, no spills, no leaks and nothing broke off (yet!). For the price I'd say it served it's purpose well enough although product life expectancy might be something to be longed for in this case. Having said that I am giving this product 4 stars out of 5. Others might have had better luck with their orders of this product however, so I would recommend basing your decision on more than one review.

UPDATE (December 3rd 2012): It has been almost a year and a half since I bought this kettle so I believe I can comment on it's performance and life-expectancy a bit better. Since the kettle is still operational (with occasional glitches described above) I have upgraded the rating to full 5 stars.

The kettle still works as well as it did when I wrote the original review. An occasional mishap when the kettle fails to turn on or cuts out during the use before it finishes the job it has survived through is not enough of an issue. It's more of a nuisance that I have learnt to accept. The kettle works as well as expected for a product that was designed by an imperfect being (a human I hope?).

The upgrade of the rating is due to the simple fact that the kettle has not developed any additional issues (no leaks, no broken parts or bits missing) ,it looks exactly as it did when it arrived 12.5 months ago (maybe not as clean I'll admit, since I can never get into little nooks an crannies around the handle).

UPDATE (March 15th 2013): A curious development with the kettle. The issue that I had described before where it would fail to turn on or it would turn off too early etc. has now vanished. Kettle is still performing as when it was when we first got it which actually amazes me as I am one of those people that think companies nowadays tend to design their products to fail within a certain period of time and therefore make us buy products more frequently. The kettle did not develop any new issues after being used every day on average about 4 times (sometimes more often). If I HAD to pick one thing to complain about I'd say that the base is too light which means that the heavy duty cable will move it about depending on how you have it positioned. Obviously this is picking at straws so to say, honestly it has lasted longer than any kettle I've used before (and I've used a few back in the UK). This one's definitely recommended if you want something that will last you.

UPDATE (December 26th 2013): Last time when I used this kettle it was still working as previously no new issues had been noted and no new developments or failures. Unfortunately we have moved onto a different device that's a little faster and more convenient (Keurig B70 Platinum Brewing System), this will likely be the last update. All in all the kettle performed better than more expensive and cheaper ones that we've used before it. I would definitely recommend it!
66 comments| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 17, 2016
This is a SUPERB electric kettle! It heats quickly and I LOVE the auto-turnoff function (it knows when the water is boiling & shuts itself off). I use it every single day, sometimes twice a day, and I've had it for at least a month and I still don't have to clean out any residue. IMPORTANT NOTE: *Do* follow the directions when you first use it - I think it's fill & boil 3 times before you boil water to drink. No problems though.
on December 30, 2015
It does what its supposed to do, however mold easily grows on the bottom of the lid and the very bottom of the kettle. I have to give it a wipe every couple uses, but its not horrible. The opening is quite small though, so anyone with larger hands (and I have small hands) wouldn't be able to fit their hand in there to clean it easily.
on January 10, 2016
Purchased as a replacement for a previously owned Cuisinart unit that served us well for roughly 6 years. This particular brand works as well as the previous unit however my negative comment would be that this brand has a very stiff cord thus it becomes a problem as to how close one can slide the unit toward the wall when not in use. The cord is shorter than the Cuisinart and more of the type cord you would find on a power tool. It works but I would not repurchase.
on July 7, 2016
Nice sturdy little thing, water boils pretty fast. HOWEVER the metal leeches into the water or something because the boiled water always tastes very metallic. Geuss I didn't notice for a while because my teas are strong enough to overpower the taste, but the other day I tried some water after booking and cooling, and it tasted so metallic I dumped it out. Won't be using unless I need boiled water for something I won't be drinking
on January 26, 2015
The body is brushed stainless steel so you can't see your face in it, which might be a plus in your case. It has no plastic compartment to see the water level - another plus. The only plastic-to-water contact would be from steam that drips from the lid. That can be reduced to a square inch by removing the lid (easy to pop on and off) or just leave it open when boiling water - also easy since it clicks in the up position. You have to look real close to see if the red light is on or off - it's very dim. The red light is very dim. Rick murkyvista.blogspot.com
on April 24, 2016
It's a good kettle except it kind of does a poor job when pouring. I don't know the problem with the outlet but it always seems for water to come out messily. All the hot water goes into the mug cup and also outside of the mug cup. I have to be really careful to hold it tight and pour it in the middle so that it wouldn't make a mess on my kitchen counter. Other reviewers don't mention this problem so I might have gotten the defect one.
on December 1, 2015
I bought this so I could make tea without using the microwave. I did a quick rinse before using it the first time as some people have commented about the taste of the water. I have never tasted anything weird or funky. Water heats up in about 2 minutes. I love that I can heat water up without using the microwave or the stove. The outside does get really hot, so you have to be careful.
on March 28, 2015
Had this about three weeks. Works great, looks good on the counter. It is 18/8 stainless, I don't really expect any rust with decent care. There were no California warning on my kettle or box. I can't speak to the plastic in the top, leaving it open to heat makes sense for folks concerned.
I wanted a small stainless kettle at an affordable price. This one pours rather slower and more focused than most kettles. I like that for tea brewing since we use it for bags more than french press coffee.
on January 30, 2016
I like this. It's a perfect size - small enough that it doesn't take a bunch of room on the counter, but large enough that I can make my tea, and a thing of soup, and still have some left over if I need it for anything. It heats water up quickly. It is a little loud, but I'm not sure how a tea kettle can't be - the loudness is created by the bubbles popping quickly near the base as it starts to boil.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.