Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on May 22, 2014
I do a lot of cycling but I don't like the conehead/space alien look of your typical cycling helmet. The Bern helmet have a cool look to them, and a couple of neat features as well. I used to own the Bern Macon, which is an EPS helmet. This means that the shell is made of a hard, thick molded plastic. It's super tough, but heavy. The Bern Brentwood is made using the "Zipmold" process, which appears to be a thin layer of polycarbonate over a hard foam liner. What this means is that the helmet is a lot LIGHTER.

Zipmold is a good bit more expensive than EPS, but it's TOTALLY WORTH IT for the lighter feel on your head.

One other thing that stands out about the Bern helmets, they have an interchangeable liner system. The Brentwood comes with a visor similar to a baseball cap. On the 2014 model, you can flip it up to keep it out of your eyes. You can snap the whole liner out and replace it with cold weather earflaps, and other stuff. Pretty neat feature.

Overall, great helmet if you're looking for a different style than your typical bike helmet.
on July 12, 2013
I followed the sizing on the Bern website, and got a great fit: just snug enough to stay firmly on my noggin.

The helmet seems well-made. There's nothing I don't like and several things I really do like, among them: the sun visor, the ability to wear glasses without uncomfortable pinching, the chinstrap that "straddles" the ears nicely and allows for wearing ear buds, the extra protection for the back of the skull beyond what a "spaceship" model would afford, and the look--which does not seem like a strange inverted boat on the head.

If there's one thing I could wish for, it's that the helmet would be DOT-approved, so that I could wear it while riding my cruiser motorcycle in the summer!
on January 1, 2013
I wanted a helmet for when I ride my bike. After hearing some of the horror stories from others who have crashed - more like been hit by motorists not paying attention - and seeing some of the resulting carnage of bike/skateboard riders who did crash on a certain video site, it only makes sense to get a helmet and even more sense to get one I'd want to wear. This one fits the bill nicely as it is relatively lightweight, comfortable, and looks great in the available matte colors IMO. I think I would have rather gone with a simple matte grey or black. Maybe next time, but hopefully not because I wrecked in this one. Haven't gone on too many rides for long distances, but have found ventilation to be adequate although I can understand some of the concern about the visor when stopped at traffic lights or need to read higher mounted street signs quickly. Only wish there were a provision for retaining the excess chin strap length after adjustment instead of it just flopping around loose. No problems whether I'm wearing my glasses or shades. I do recommend test fitting one if possible before ordering or getting your measurement exactly right, as the sizing for these helmets may be an issue as other reviewers have noted. Still, this one earns five stars and hope the Bern Brentwood convinces my friend to finally start wearing a helmet since he won't have the "bike helmets look dorky" excuse anymore.
on January 21, 2013
This helmet is narrow for my head 23in, 58.5cm. Circumference of head matches the XL size (1 size up as what other reviewers had said) of helmet but the temple is too narrow while the front and back still having gaps. I guess each individual has its unique skull shape. Not 1 size fits all. What I did was soak the helmet in hot water and squeeze helmet to shape, expanded the helmet side ways. Wallah!! Fits nicely with room to spare. I would think XXL fits better.
on June 28, 2013
Ordered over the web having checked the size charts. I'm an XL but more oval than round and was a bit worried it wouldn't fit properly. It fits snugly however with the liner so very relieved. It does leave a mark on my forehead after a fairly long strenuous ride but nothing to worry about (i'm bald so its more obvious). If your head is more oval and you measure on the upper end of the size range, I'd probably get the next size up however, particularly if you have lots of hair! Great look, love the liner/visor. Arrived sooner than Amazon predicted.

Highly recommended for any and all riders unless you're looking for something 'hardcore'....

Did I mention it was a great price also?

My only note to BERN is that we need more distribution in AUSTRALIA!! Y'know, that little island on the other side of the world?
on April 29, 2013
I bought my four year old son a trailer bike and decided I should get him something more substantial than the Walmart helmet he had. I did a fair bit of research into bike helmets and found the Bern Brentwood to stand up to the scrutiny. The price is excellent...nowhere else could even come close. The quality is great and my son likes it. Not sure about ventilation yet. It doesn't seem like it would be that great but we will see when summer rolls around. Thought the visor was just a gimmick but it is actually effective. I might just have to get one of these for myself.
on August 22, 2014
Love this helmet, but ORDER TWO SIZES LARGER THAN YOU THINK. The small is for monkey children, the medium is for human children with small heads, the large is a medium and the xtra large is for humans with slightly larger than average heads. I returned a medium for a large and kick myself because it's still too small, but I might decide to live with it.
on October 31, 2013
This was a pretty nice helmet for the price. I would suggest going to a store for sizing first, though. I have a medium, and while it fits, I would have been much better off with a small. Even though BERN's sizing chart clearly has me listed as a medium.

It's definitely not as overly big and bulky as a lot of helmets out there, but it's not as slim as I had hoped, either. The lining is great. Easy to take out and wash, and doesn't get too hot for me in most cases: it's perfectly comfortable in the winter, but really anything on your head in the summer is going to get somewhat hot.
on August 4, 2013
I bought this because I just got an electric bike which travels up to 20 mph. Thought I should have a real bike helmet that wan't too heavy, too ugly or too hot. This fit the bill. Hard to wear a ponytail under helmet, even a low ponytail. But happy so far. Bought one size larger than my head size to make sure it would fit. Wish it wasn't so expensive. Would buy again.
on March 10, 2013
Not sure if it's just the shape of my head or if these guys did more fit testing, but this helmet fits great. Most helmets feel like they're just resting on top of your head and if you push them, they slide around. Hard to get them to fit snug without feeling too tight on your neck. This one fits more like my old football or whitewater helmet. More confident that if I crash in this, it wont just slide around when I hit. Looks good too. FYI the visor on this helmet does hang lower and block more visability than other helmets with visors I've owned, but the visor is removeable.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.