Breville BES900XL Dual Boiler Semi Automatic Espresso Machine
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Dual stainless steel boilers and dual Italian pumps for simultaneous espresso extraction and steaming
- Over-Pressure Valve (OPV) limits extraction pressure
- Electronic PID temperature control for precise water temperature, plus actively heated group head and heat exchanger (HX) to maintain thermal stability
- Backlit LCD displays brew temperature, shot clock or time. Assists with programming shot temperature and volume, pre-infusion duration and power, and auto-start time
- Drop-down swivel foot lowers a wheel that lifts the machine upwards for convenient access to the water tank (both rear and top-fill)
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Customers also shopped for
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Why the Breville Dual Boiler espresso machine?
Perfection requires precision. Every time. How do you keep precise temperature and pressure from the tank to the espresso cup? The Breville Dual Boiler’s dedicated boilers for simultaneous milk texturing and espresso extraction ensures that your espresso arrives in its cup with the optimum flavor.
Commercial performance in a domestic footprint
A domestic machine with numerous professional features, it regulates temperature to within one degree Celsius of the optimal temperature, giving budding baristas the precision and control they need to perfect their technique. Actively heated group head, PID temperature control, over-pressure valve and low pressure pre-infusion maintain optimum temperature and pressure throughout extraction.
Espresso yourself: tools for precise personalizing and perfecting
Ultimately there is only one standard by which espresso should be measured: taste. And espresso taste is notorious for being a matter of preference. The Breville Dual Boiler gives you the tools to customize your espresso to your personal specifications, with the ability to program shot temperature with precise PID temperature regulation technology, shot volume (1 and 2 cup), and pre-infusion duration and power. You can also program it to auto start, so it will be warmed up and ready to go in the morning.
|Extraction pressure and low pressure pre-infusion||Temperature||Simultaneous steam|
Limiting the maximum pressure throughout extraction produces a balanced espresso with an aromatic crema: too little pressure during extraction leads to espresso that is thin and under-developed, but too much pressure during extraction can lead to bitter flavors. The Breville Dual Boiler has low-pressure infusion with programmable pressure and duration, a feature seen in high-grade commercial espresso machines but not in domestic thermoblock systems.
Maximum extraction pressure is achieved with an Over-Pressure Valve (OPV) for optimal espresso flavor.
Low pressure pre-infusion gradually increases water pressure at the start of the extraction to gently expand grinds for an even extraction (power & duration is user programmable).
Precise and stable water temperature is required for optimum espresso flavor. Water temperature that is too low can lead to espresso which is sour, too high can lead to ashy or bitter flavors.
The dedicated stainless steel espresso boiler with electronic PID control technology delivers precise water temperature with variation of only one degree Celsius, based on tests conducted by Breville (2011).
The actively heated group head maintains thermal stability throughout extraction, controlled by PID technology.
The stainless steel heat exchanger delivers pre-heated water to the espresso boiler via the steam boiler, aiding thermal stability for optimal extraction temperature.
If combining the textured milk and espresso is delayed, the crema may dissipate or lose its flavor. The ability to texture milk whilst extracting espresso, which allows you to immediately combine the two, ensures that the delicate aromatics of the crema are captured. This produces a creamier texture with more complex flavors.
The dedicated stainless steel steam boiler delivers steam on demand, allowing you to texture for one cup or continuously for multiple cups
- Dual stainless steel boilers: dedicated boilers and two pumps for simultaneous milk texturing and espresso extraction at the optimum temperature and pressure.
- Dedicated 32 fl. oz. (950ml) steam boiler
- Dedicated 10 fl. oz. (300ml) espresso boiler
- Programmable functions: adjust the shot temperature, shot volume, pre-infusion duration and power, auto start time and audio volume
- Programmable extraction temperature with PID technology: electronic temperature control delivers precise water temperatures of 190-205 degrees Fahrenheit (89-96 degrees Celsius) for different roasts and origins
- Programmable pre-infusion: alter duration and power to fine tune flavor profiles
- Auto start: preheats the machine at a programmed time
- Audio alerts: select from high, low, or no volume
- 58mm tamper
- Backlit LCD: displays shot temperature, shot clock, or time
- Espresso shot clock: a guide to extraction consistency that displays the duration of the espresso shot being extracted
- Regulated extraction pressure: over-pressure valve (OPV) limits the maximum pressure throughout extraction to optimum levels
- Low pressure pre-infusion: gradually increases water pressure to gently expand grinds for an even extraction. User programmable
- Drop down swivel foot: lowers a wheel for easy maneuverability
- Programmable volumetric control: preset, manual over-ride or reprogrammable shot volumes
- Pressure gauge: monitors extraction pressure
- Instant hot water: dedicated hot water outlet for Americanos and pre-heating cups
- Actively heated group head: commercial 58mm group head with embedded element maintains thermal stability throughout extraction
- Commercial 360 degree swivel action steam wand: with 3 hole tip for a silkier texture
- 84 fluid oz. (2.5L) removable water tank: top-fill or rear-fill with rear integrated water filter and water level indicator
- Included accessories: single wall filter baskets (1 and 2 cup), dual wall filter baskets (1 and 2 cup), integrated tamper, stainless steel frothing jug, cleaning disc and tablets, cleaning tool and allen key, water filter holder and water filters (1 year supply)
BES900XL: Dual Boiler
BES870XL: Barista Express
BES840XL: the Infuser
|Weight||30 lbs||23 lbs||17 lbs|
|Heating system||Dual boilers, stainless steel||Thermocoil, stainless steel||Thermocoil, stainless steel|
|Pump||Dual Italian pumps||15 bar Italian pump||15 bar Italian pump|
|Water tank||84 fl. oz. top-fill and rear-fill||67 fl. oz. top-fill with handle||61 fl. oz. top-fill with handle|
|Accessories||2 x 58mm dual wall filter baskets, 2 x 58mm single wall filter baskets, 58mm integrated tamper, stainless steel milk jug, cleaning tool, cleaning disc and tables, allen key, water filter holder and filters, coffee scoop||2 x 54mm dual wall filter baskets, 2 x 54mm single wall filter baskets, 54mm integrated tamper, stainless steel milk jug, cleaning kit, water filter holder and filter, precision dose trimming tool||2 x 54mm dual wall filter baskets, 2 x 54mm single wall filter baskets, 54mm integrated tamper, stainless steel milk jug, cleaning tool, cleaning disc and tables, allen key, water filter holder and filter, coffee scoop|
|Auto purge?||Not required||Yes||Yes|
|Steam wand||360 degree swivel, 3 hole tip||360 degree swivel, 1 hole round tip for easier cleaning||360 degree swivel, 1 hole tip|
|Other||Over-pressure valve (OPV), actively heated group head, heat exchanger (HX), programmable extraction temps, programmable pre-infusion, backlit LCD, espresso shot clock, auto start, audio alerts (high, low, mute), drop down swivel foot||.5 lb bean hopper, conical burr grinder, grind size dial, grind amount dial, hands-free grinding cradle|
|Housing||Stainless steel; parts that come in contact with water, coffee, and milk are BPA free||Stainless steel; parts that come in contact with water, coffee, and milk are BPA free||Stainless steel; parts that come in contact with water, coffee, and milk are BPA free|
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
My suggestions for the novice - the coffee drinker coming from a fully automated system like Nespresso
1. Watch the videos online of how this machine works, what it takes to operate it, and its capabilities. Just google the name of the machine; lots out there. There are several specialty coffee web sites that put together their own videos of this product, and they are done well (Seattle Coffee Gear is a good one). Do this before you order so you know what you're signing up for every morning.
2. Get a grinder. Dont buy it ground in from a store of coffee shop. I bought the matching Breville Smart Grinder and have had a great experience with it so far. Initially, i went to a local coffee shop and bought a half pound of coffee ground for 'espresso'. Because i expected that grind to be 'correct' for this machine (granted, the grind is up to you and your tastes), i attempted to match the grind with my new grinder. Took me a while, and about twenty shots, to figure out that it needed to be much finer. Google this too and you'll find great info.
3. Be patient, and plan to go through a full pound of beans before you get the entire process down. I watched several videos about infusion, temperature, pressure, etc - these are all settings you can play with on the machine. Although the default settings were good, I found what worked best for me with slight tweaks of these settings.
4. Make sure you're ok with cleaning this thing every day. Its a pretty machine, but i get the bottom area full of coffee and water every time i use it. The spent coffee pucks can also be messy. To keep it looking nice, it needs a wipe down after every use. Im a single guy, and im not a neat freak, but this looks great in my kitchen, but only when its clean.
5. Dont be scared. Once you get your settings established this machine does all the work for you. Its really a no brainer. You'll start enjoying the process of making coffee every day!
The net here is that the compromises to take a set of features that other manufacturers sell for 1.5X to 2X this price come out in the lifetime cost and reliability of the machine.
Most recent customer reviews
Breville's service is nothing short of great. 6 weeks after sending it off, we get a brand new upgrade -- the BES 920xl.Read more