Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 4,718 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,269 reviews
on March 18, 2012
Update Aug 2014 - Thanks for all the questions and comments on my review over the years! Yes, I am still using the original juicer! No, this is not a paid endorsement. I have not been contacted by Breville or offered any compensation. When you find a product that is built well, works well and helps you get well...it's worth writing about it! Keep reading...

Update Oct 2013 - I'm so glad I bought this juicer! Still using all the original parts, nothing is broken. I've kept the mesh filter basket clean and it works great, but it is puckering at the top edge of the basket, between the spots where it's welded to the basket frame. It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the juicer, but it requires more diligent cleaning.

I have a new tip today about juicing spinach leaves. Stack spinach leaves about 2-3" tall and place on a large kale leaf. Wrap the kale leaf around the spinach and stuff into the feed chute. Slowly push the kale/spinach "package" down the chute. Small spinach leaves won't fly out the food chute or end up whole in the pulp collection bin. This works great with collard greens too!

Update Apr 2013 - Still juicing! I make about a quart of green juice a day. The shredding disc and steel mesh were showing signs of staining and minor clogging. The residue wouldn't come off with hand-washing, so I decided to try some serious cleansing using a spray-on oven cleaner. Bingo! All the residue came off easily, opening all the clogged mesh holes and rejuvenating the shredding disc. None of the original parts have broken or cracked. I remain very satisfied with this juicer.

Update Dec 2012 - The Breville Compact Juice Fountain works like new after 11 months of daily use! There have been no issues with the motor. The plastic parts have held up well but are veggie-stained. The shredding disc isn't as sharp as it was on Day 1, but it still works great. When the time comes, Breville sells replacement parts online.

Update June 2012 - Still using the Breville twice daily and it continues to work well. No broken parts.

Original Review: Prior to purchasing the Breville Compact Juice Fountain, I researched other models and selected the Breville for its features and excellent customer reviews. I've been using the juicer daily since Jan 18, 2012 and continue to be satisfied with the unit. As with any centrifugal juicer, the pulp may not be "bone dry" due to the nature of the juicing process. But I'm not a purist, and any increase in my fruit & veggie intake is an improvement!

PROS of this unit
* The motor is powerful. The toughest veggie I've juiced is a quarter head of purple cabbage, no problem. Whole kale leaves, celery, carrots, broccoli, beets...juiced regularly without any trouble. I haven't tried juicing a sweet potato yet.
*Quick and easy to clean because there are only 4 parts: the food pusher, feed chute / pulp collection lid, pulp collection container and steel micro mesh filter. See in the video how effortless the Compact Juice Fountain is to assemble. I prefer this model to my friend's juicer that has the side-mounted pulp basket.
* Juice spout fits nicely into the opening of the pitcher lid. Juice doesn't splash all over the counter.
* Compact size makes it easy to leave on the counter to encourage frequent, if not daily, use. The pulp collection container measures 9 inches in diameter.
* Froth separator lid works well to separate the froth from the juice when pouring into a glass. Save the froth! It will liquify into more juice.
* There's a handy cord wrap in the base of the unit.
* Juicer cover, pulp container, filter basket and pitcher are listed as dishwasher safe. I prefer to hand-wash! Note that the inside of the juice collector (under the mesh filter basket) needs to be scrubbed well to prevent build-up.

CONS of this unit
* One speed means you cannot slow the shredder basket down for tough or leafy greens. I compensate by packing the chute with green and feeding it s-l-o-w-l-y.
* Small slices of fruit or veggies end up unshredded in the pulp container because there is a small gap between the bottom of the food chute and the shredding blades of the filter basket. The slices are thin enough (1/16 to 1/8") to fit through the gap. See the video for actual pulp results.
* The juice dispensing hole is hard to clean and gets a build-up. A small bottle brush gets some of it out.

TIPS for juicing and cleaning
* Rinse or clean the juicer immediately after juicing. Dried pulp is hard to clean off the mesh filter basket.
* Juice slowly for better results.
* Juice leafy greens first, then juicier fruits will wash the healthy green into the pitcher.
* Stack spinach into compact piles, and pack into the chute. This way whole baby leaves won't end up in the pulp container. Fill the chute and allow the juicer to slowly shred the greens. Add broccoli, grapes, brussels sprouts, etc. to the food chute while there is still some spinach at the bottom...no more broccoli florets all over the kitchen =)
* Nest and roll big leaves like kale and collards. You can even tuck a small piece of ginger inside for more efficient juicing.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision about which juicer best fits your needs. Happy Juicing!
8989 comments| 2,773 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2015
Bought this bad boy as a last minute Christmas gift for myself. I did some pretty good research and though this may not be considered the best juicer, it did seem to have very good reviews. I've not juiced before this so I did not want to spend the $200-$300 needed to get the "best" that was out there. I was pleasantly surprised at this little fella. Very easy to put together. Very easy to clean. Very easy to use. Not sure if I'm being the most healthy but I basically put everything plus the kitchen sink into it until I get something I want to drink. Basically, spinach, celery, apples, oranges, limes, beets, cucumbers, pears, ginger and anything else that's laying around. When its done the pulp seems to be pretty dry and the juice is ready for my belly. I keep the pulp and my wife likes to add that to her meals or smoothies and she says she loves it. Seeing I bought it on sale for $55 I have to say its one of the better investments I've ever made! (and I've only made a small mess once)
review image
0Comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 24, 2007
I juice at least once a day as I primarily eat raw foods.

My Jack LaLane juicer finally wore out after 2.5 years of daily use. I was tempted to buy another - but I liked the way everything including the pulp catcher is all in one unit. So glad I got the Breville.

This thing is POWERFUL, especially compared to "Jack LaLanne". It is so powerful I usually don't even use the pusher except to cover the top so your ceiling doesn't get covered with stuff. Other reviewers have mentioned that tendency. What wasn't mentioned is that the reason it does that is because the motor is so beefy that stuff will shoot straight up.

When juicing soft stuff I immediately cover the top with my hand.

The design of this thing is absolutely first rate. Even down to the plug, which has a moulded loop so that it is easy to unplug and plug in! No tool is required to remove the basket, as in most other juicers. Breville uses a combo of ingenious design and magnets to hold it in place!

Ease of use and fit and finish is perfect.

Clean up is really a 2 minute operation and I don't even own a dishwasher. It will stain eventually, as every juicer I have ever owned does. Carrot juice would make a great dye :-)

The pulp on this juicer is a bit wetter than the Jack LaLanne. The "Jack" had a much larger basket and a much slower rotation. I believe that may account for it. But it isn't much wetter - just very slightly.

This juicer makes much smaller pieces of pulp though - and my experience so far has been that it gets just as much juice from a pound of carrots.

Bottom line - I can't imagine anyone not loving this unit.

UPDATE 3/26/2011 This thing is still going strong 3.5 years later. Folks I buy carrots by the 25 pound bag so I am HARD on juicers. And not one part has needed replacement!
8383 comments| 6,392 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2016
 Awesome awesome Juicer! 2 years in use, and still going strong! We use it regularly. One thing I would recommend is to spray all the parts out and spray/scrub the fine strainer IMMEDIATELY after use. If you do this, it will clean out nice and clear. Half the time I don't even use soap, just spray it all out over the sink (scoop the big chunks in the trash obviously), and then I just spray it all down with some food grade sanitizer. Don't let it just sit there, otherwise it can become quite nasty to clean out.
OH, also, if you want to, you can use all of the fibrous stuff that the juicer spits into the main compartment for healthy muffins! My wife has done this several times, and they turned out great. That way you can get the healthy juice, AND get some great fiber!

Note to the quality: This juicer has some super heavy duty quality parts. Just as a point of reference, I got my parents into juicing. First they got a Hamilton Beach Juicer, then they got a Jack Lalanne juicer... My Breville has outlasted BOTH of them, WORTH EVERY PENNY. Here's to your health! Please see my video.
on June 13, 2015
Again, this is a 'love it' or 'leave it' review on my behalf. No middle line. My husband is a huge juice fan. He has an old metal juicer that is from the dinosaur age and truly a beast to move, use, and clean (with a big emphasis on cleaning difficulty). Though it's a great juicer, when it takes longer to make the juice and clean up than it does to make a five course meal, well, we tend to lose interest in our health kicks. So, I'm very big on doing endless research by reading reviews, blogs, online rating webs, etc. before buying anything. I did this for our mattress and it paid off nicely. After much research I opted for the Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain. Couldn't beat the price on Amazon. Killer deal! My only concern was performance. Well, it didn't let us down. First of all, this is a very noisy unit. You don't have to wear ear plugs, but keep the baby away as they might start bawling due to the loudness. Beyond that, we absolutely love this unit! Love it! Easy to use, fun to watch, super easy to clean, and the juice is superb! Some of the reviews comment on food bits flying out at times if you don't slap your hand or the tamper down over it when adding it to the mix. They're right. I'm pretty sure I've got a few bits of garlic and carrot on my kitchen ceiling, but they're tiny and made a pretty cool pattern. We don't worry about the tiny issues, because it's preventable. Just slap your hand over the softer additions immediately and you won't get it on the ceiling. Pretty simple and certainly not worth marking down the value of this product. But our greatest joy about this product is the ease of cleaning. OMG, but it is soooo simple and fast! We slick out the pulp bits into a dish for our chickens to eat (they Loooove us now!), and dump the plastic unit pieces into a bath of soapy water, rub down, rinse and towel dry. Easy! Fast! Great juice! The juice collecting container does hold enough for two very large wine glasses worth of juice (we like a little class with our juice). Not to mention how much fun it is to watch this unit in action. I did have a brief moment imagining Hannibal Lector shoving someone's hand into the unit (ugh!) for a movie concept--it's pretty efficient! This was money well spent, and if it did happen to break, we would buy another. So far not a hiccup from this one. It's been a smooth juice every day without a single issue. Oh, we add huge chunks of raw ginger to our juice with the hide on, and it does a great job grinding it down. If you want an affordable unit that performs flawlessly (beyond a few bits of food on the ceiling) then this is the one to buy. We highly recommend it!
on April 4, 2011
When I was looking into juicers, I heard good things about Breville. Although I didn't buy one of the high-end models or brands used by true raw foodists, I feel pretty happy with my Breville Compact Juice Fountain. On the plus column, it's a nice size for two and fits under the counter. It's a breeze to assemble and disassemble, it juices quickly and easily, and cleaning is a cinch. Breville includes a brush for cleaning the juicer's mesh interior screen, and that is very handy. I clean the whole juicer as soon as I'm done, and I haven't had any problem at all getting to the machine's nooks and crannies, unlike some kitchen appliances I've had in the past. Most of the juicer is even dishwasher safe, although, I don't clean it that way most of the time. It's easy enough to do by hand, and then it's always ready for my next juice craving.

On the negative column, it's not great at juicing leafy greens. I'd looked forward to that, but this type of juicer just doesn't do a very thorough job. It seems to just immediately throw the leaves to the inside of the pulp container. Being a leafy greens fanatic, I hate to just waste leaves that could have made a marvelous meal. Luckily, outside of leafy greens, there's still plenty that it is good at juicing - fruits and vegetables like celery, bok choy, broccoli stalks, cauliflower stalks, cabbage, carrots, pears, apples, peeled citrus fruit... I like to do an 80/20 mix of vegetables to fruit. I often plan to bring extra juice with me to work for an afternoon pick-me-up but I've yet to have the restraint. I can't help but drink it immediately. The crisp and thirst quenching juice is irresistible.

I can't compare the dryness of the remaining pulp to other juicers since this one is my first, but I can say that it isn't completely dry afterward. It has the feeling of mashed potatoes. I've tried running it through the machine again, but the few droplets of juice it produces come out like sludge. For the most part I like the juicer, and so I've started finding other uses for the remaining pulp.

One thing I've done is make my own vegetable broth. Before adding any fruits, I juice only the vegetables. Then I remove all of the vegetable pulp from its catcher and put it into a pot with water. I bring the water to a boil and then lower it to a simmer. I let it simmer for about an hour and add in any additional herbs I like. (I often choose homey herbs like thyme, rosemary, and basil.) Once it has finished cooking, I run the broth through a fine mesh sieve to catch all of the pulp. I use it in any recipes calling for broth or when I want to add more color and nutrients to my cooked grains. (Most people stay away from using green vegetables for broth because of the color, but I don't mind it.) If it's more broth than I want to have on hand, I pour it into an ice cube tray, freeze it, and then I can use just as many cubes as I need at a time.

Another way I've used the pulp is by incorporating it in smoothies. After I'm done juicing, I mash the pulp into an ice cube tray and store it in the freezer. When I'm making green smoothies, I just add a few extra cubes for extra nutrition, flavor, and texture.
review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 734 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2012
I bought this juicer after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I was totally pumped up about juicing after that! I had bought a different juicer awhile back and it wasn't a good experience. It was very very messy and hard to clean up with a million little pieces and pulp and chunks flying everywhere. I wanted to give juicing another try and so I bought this little gem. Shipping from Amazon was free and very fast! Where to start? I love everything about this juicer, I am very happy with it. I love how all the chunks are contained within the round plastic basket. And I love the cup, the separator works very well and I haven't had any issues with the spout not connecting, it works great!! Clean-up was fairly easy, just disassembling a few parts and emptying the waste basket. My favorite juice so far is apple, strawberry, celery and carrot. I usually HATE carrots, but actually like them in this juice. I hope this new juicing lifestyle with make positive changes for me. Overall, I am so happy I bought this!!!
review image review image
11 comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2015
I've had this juicer for over 2 years now. While it's not awful, it's certainly not the best either.

If you plan on green juicing with lots of leafy greens this may not be the juicer for you. I've found that many leaves just go straight through to the pulp bin. I've found fully intact parsley and mint leaves in there plus large pieces of other leafy greens. The juicer just spits them through to waste.

For larger fruits and vegetables I've found large chunks in the pulp bin. This surprised me. Leafy greens slipping though - ok - but big chunks of carrot, cucumber, beet, and more is not great. See my picture of the large chunks that were in the pulp bin.

Speaking of the pulp, it's wet. I'm not expecting it to be powder dry, but the pulp is significantly wet to the point you should run it through a second time to get more juice.

All in all, I'm not thrilled with this juicer and will likely replace it soon as I want to focus more on green juicing. It does make juice and for the price it's a decent entry level juicer.
review image
on March 22, 2014
I, like probably everyone else lol, watched Fat Sick and Nearly Dead and immediately decided to try a juicer. I ordered the Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain. My sister and brother in law already had one and had nice things to say about it, so I copied them and got the same model they did. I figured for $90.00 I knew at least it would work well enough based on someone I knew who had it.

I received it boxed appropriately and immediately took it out and washed it so that it was ready when I decided to do my first juice. I will admit I had a huge fear of the juice being gross tasting like when you get unsweetened cranberry juice. My fears were put to rest the first time I used it.

My first juice was 2 apples, 1/2 a lemon, & and a ring of pineapple. It was decidedly good, tart, sweet, refreshing. After that I just juiced fruits at first that I thought might pair well together. Now I have moved on to carrots and cucumber and spinach. Carrots and spinach are awesome, carrots just add a sweetness but temper other sweeter fruits and spinach adds nothing as far as flavor only dark green color and nutrient rich juice. Cucumber is a bit over powering for me HOWEVER, it is a refreshing additive, I would caution to not add so much if you are skeptically of the flavor because cucumber does have a distinctive undertone that carries throughout the juice. Not terrible, just not for me in large quantities I don't think.

About the juicer: It has 5 parts that need cleaning when you are done, the plunger (just rinses right off), the measuring cup/lid (again just rinses right out), the juicer lid & juicer pulp catcher base (again once you use the back end of the included scrub brush to scrape the pulp out these pieces just rinse right off), and the strainer/grater thingy in the center (the only piece that requires scrubbing to make sure the mesh is free from grainy debris so that next time the juice flows through nicely). All in all it maybe takes 20 min from start to finish for cleanup and that includes drinking your fresh juice. I have let everything sit, EXCEPT the mesh grater thing, for at least 20 minutes after juicing and have had no problems with cleanup at all, everything still rinsed off. I always scrub the mesh grater though, I don't have any interest in getting things dried onto that at all.

As far as the fruits and veggies go, I was completely astounded at how dry the carrot dust (as I refer to it) was after juicing carrots, typically the harder the fruit or veggie the drier the pulp is. Things like blueberries, grapes, blackberries that are naturally apt to be mushy with too much handling naturally will yield wetter pulp. Apples and cucumber and spinach pulp is pretty dang dry in my opinion. The carrots are the driest but also the hardest.

I would definitely, due to ease of cleanup and quickness of assembly and juicing, recommend this juicer or any Breville for that matter to anyone looking for an easy to operate intro juicer, I really enjoy it, and although I am not juicing 24/7, juicing is not a hugely time consuming hard process that keeps me from juicing regularly, basically every day.

I found that after an all fruit fresh juice everyday for about 4 days I felt like my taste buds had changed a bit so that the fruit was almost too sweet and I enjoyed tempering it with carrots and spinach and found myself wanting to try other flavors. I haven't juiced extra to save for the morning yet, but I did get a glass bottle in which to store it, since I cannot yet get myself up early in order to juice in the morning. I also found it funny that I find myself craving fresh juice now. Also I tried commercial juice after 3 days of juicing everyday and it just tasted really bad to me. I would also swear I feel the fresh juice making the cells in my body come alive, now this may be all the natural sugar but I also don't crash after the tingling wears off like I do after I eat cake or something processed and sugary. So I found that interesting as well.
on April 13, 2013
I am new to juicing. I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and it really piqued my interest. I looked around the internet and found this Breville juicer. For $100.00 it seemed like a good risk. I ended up with mixed feelings, hence the three stars.

First the pros: It is very powerful and will juice most anything. I had zero problems juicing carrots, yams, any kind of fruit or vegetable. It is fast and effective.

The cons: It is LOUD. I would say it is every bit as loud as a blender on high...with ice in it, maybe.

It makes a mess by tossing little bits of produce all around the work area. I know that people say, "Just juice more slowly and you won't have that problem." I tried that and I was still picking bits of produce off my cabinets, blinds, wine bottles and counter tops.

The biggest issue is that when the juice cup is full, the circular container that catches the pulp is also full. So if I am making enough juice to last the day, say when I'm juice fasting, or if I want to make enough juice for the family, I have to stop, disassemble the cover, clean the pulp out, rinse the cover and assorted parts off and then re-assemble everything to start juicing again. For a pitcher of juice, this happens three times.

That's a deal breaker for me.

I returned it and traded up to an Omega J8005 for $250.00 It is quiet, clean, has an external pulp catching dish that can be emptied in one shake and it's warrantied for ten years. It also makes nut butter and pasta.

Over all, the Breville is OK for someone who wants to juice on occasion or even once daily, but it is a lot of work. I want to stay excited about juicing and if I have to work that much harder to make it happen then it's going to be that much harder to stay motivated.