Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 18, 2012
Update Aug 2014 - Thanks for all the questions and comments on my review over the years! Yes, I am still using the original juicer! No, this is not a paid endorsement. I have not been contacted by Breville or offered any compensation. When you find a product that is built well, works well and helps you get well...it's worth writing about it! Keep reading...

Update Oct 2013 - I'm so glad I bought this juicer! Still using all the original parts, nothing is broken. I've kept the mesh filter basket clean and it works great, but it is puckering at the top edge of the basket, between the spots where it's welded to the basket frame. It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the juicer, but it requires more diligent cleaning.

I have a new tip today about juicing spinach leaves. Stack spinach leaves about 2-3" tall and place on a large kale leaf. Wrap the kale leaf around the spinach and stuff into the feed chute. Slowly push the kale/spinach "package" down the chute. Small spinach leaves won't fly out the food chute or end up whole in the pulp collection bin. This works great with collard greens too!

Update Apr 2013 - Still juicing! I make about a quart of green juice a day. The shredding disc and steel mesh were showing signs of staining and minor clogging. The residue wouldn't come off with hand-washing, so I decided to try some serious cleansing using a spray-on oven cleaner. Bingo! All the residue came off easily, opening all the clogged mesh holes and rejuvenating the shredding disc. None of the original parts have broken or cracked. I remain very satisfied with this juicer.

Update Dec 2012 - The Breville Compact Juice Fountain works like new after 11 months of daily use! There have been no issues with the motor. The plastic parts have held up well but are veggie-stained. The shredding disc isn't as sharp as it was on Day 1, but it still works great. When the time comes, Breville sells replacement parts online.

Update June 2012 - Still using the Breville twice daily and it continues to work well. No broken parts.

Original Review: Prior to purchasing the Breville Compact Juice Fountain, I researched other models and selected the Breville for its features and excellent customer reviews. I've been using the juicer daily since Jan 18, 2012 and continue to be satisfied with the unit. As with any centrifugal juicer, the pulp may not be "bone dry" due to the nature of the juicing process. But I'm not a purist, and any increase in my fruit & veggie intake is an improvement!

PROS of this unit
* The motor is powerful. The toughest veggie I've juiced is a quarter head of purple cabbage, no problem. Whole kale leaves, celery, carrots, broccoli, beets...juiced regularly without any trouble. I haven't tried juicing a sweet potato yet.
*Quick and easy to clean because there are only 4 parts: the food pusher, feed chute / pulp collection lid, pulp collection container and steel micro mesh filter. See in the video how effortless the Compact Juice Fountain is to assemble. I prefer this model to my friend's juicer that has the side-mounted pulp basket.
* Juice spout fits nicely into the opening of the pitcher lid. Juice doesn't splash all over the counter.
* Compact size makes it easy to leave on the counter to encourage frequent, if not daily, use. The pulp collection container measures 9 inches in diameter.
* Froth separator lid works well to separate the froth from the juice when pouring into a glass. Save the froth! It will liquify into more juice.
* There's a handy cord wrap in the base of the unit.
* Juicer cover, pulp container, filter basket and pitcher are listed as dishwasher safe. I prefer to hand-wash! Note that the inside of the juice collector (under the mesh filter basket) needs to be scrubbed well to prevent build-up.

CONS of this unit
* One speed means you cannot slow the shredder basket down for tough or leafy greens. I compensate by packing the chute with green and feeding it s-l-o-w-l-y.
* Small slices of fruit or veggies end up unshredded in the pulp container because there is a small gap between the bottom of the food chute and the shredding blades of the filter basket. The slices are thin enough (1/16 to 1/8") to fit through the gap. See the video for actual pulp results.
* The juice dispensing hole is hard to clean and gets a build-up. A small bottle brush gets some of it out.

TIPS for juicing and cleaning
* Rinse or clean the juicer immediately after juicing. Dried pulp is hard to clean off the mesh filter basket.
* Juice slowly for better results.
* Juice leafy greens first, then juicier fruits will wash the healthy green into the pitcher.
* Stack spinach into compact piles, and pack into the chute. This way whole baby leaves won't end up in the pulp container. Fill the chute and allow the juicer to slowly shred the greens. Add broccoli, grapes, brussels sprouts, etc. to the food chute while there is still some spinach at the bottom...no more broccoli florets all over the kitchen =)
* Nest and roll big leaves like kale and collards. You can even tuck a small piece of ginger inside for more efficient juicing.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision about which juicer best fits your needs. Happy Juicing!
5150+ comments| 3,127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 9, 2016
 Awesome awesome Juicer! 2 years in use, and still going strong! We use it regularly. One thing I would recommend is to spray all the parts out and spray/scrub the fine strainer IMMEDIATELY after use. If you do this, it will clean out nice and clear. Half the time I don't even use soap, just spray it all out over the sink (scoop the big chunks in the trash obviously), and then I just spray it all down with some food grade sanitizer. Don't let it just sit there, otherwise it can become quite nasty to clean out.
OH, also, if you want to, you can use all of the fibrous stuff that the juicer spits into the main compartment for healthy muffins! My wife has done this several times, and they turned out great. That way you can get the healthy juice, AND get some great fiber!

Note to the quality: This juicer has some super heavy duty quality parts. Just as a point of reference, I got my parents into juicing. First they got a Hamilton Beach Juicer, then they got a Jack Lalanne juicer... My Breville has outlasted BOTH of them, WORTH EVERY PENNY. Here's to your health! Please see my video.
33 comments| 204 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 11, 2015
Bought this bad boy as a last minute Christmas gift for myself. I did some pretty good research and though this may not be considered the best juicer, it did seem to have very good reviews. I've not juiced before this so I did not want to spend the $200-$300 needed to get the "best" that was out there. I was pleasantly surprised at this little fella. Very easy to put together. Very easy to clean. Very easy to use. Not sure if I'm being the most healthy but I basically put everything plus the kitchen sink into it until I get something I want to drink. Basically, spinach, celery, apples, oranges, limes, beets, cucumbers, pears, ginger and anything else that's laying around. When its done the pulp seems to be pretty dry and the juice is ready for my belly. I keep the pulp and my wife likes to add that to her meals or smoothies and she says she loves it. Seeing I bought it on sale for $55 I have to say its one of the better investments I've ever made! (and I've only made a small mess once)
review image
0Comment| 254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 24, 2007
I juice at least once a day as I primarily eat raw foods.

My Jack LaLane juicer finally wore out after 2.5 years of daily use. I was tempted to buy another - but I liked the way everything including the pulp catcher is all in one unit. So glad I got the Breville.

This thing is POWERFUL, especially compared to "Jack LaLanne". It is so powerful I usually don't even use the pusher except to cover the top so your ceiling doesn't get covered with stuff. Other reviewers have mentioned that tendency. What wasn't mentioned is that the reason it does that is because the motor is so beefy that stuff will shoot straight up.

When juicing soft stuff I immediately cover the top with my hand.

The design of this thing is absolutely first rate. Even down to the plug, which has a moulded loop so that it is easy to unplug and plug in! No tool is required to remove the basket, as in most other juicers. Breville uses a combo of ingenious design and magnets to hold it in place!

Ease of use and fit and finish is perfect.

Clean up is really a 2 minute operation and I don't even own a dishwasher. It will stain eventually, as every juicer I have ever owned does. Carrot juice would make a great dye :-)

The pulp on this juicer is a bit wetter than the Jack LaLanne. The "Jack" had a much larger basket and a much slower rotation. I believe that may account for it. But it isn't much wetter - just very slightly.

This juicer makes much smaller pieces of pulp though - and my experience so far has been that it gets just as much juice from a pound of carrots.

Bottom line - I can't imagine anyone not loving this unit.

UPDATE 3/26/2011 This thing is still going strong 3.5 years later. Folks I buy carrots by the 25 pound bag so I am HARD on juicers. And not one part has needed replacement!
5150+ comments| 6,462 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 4, 2011
When I was looking into juicers, I heard good things about Breville. Although I didn't buy one of the high-end models or brands used by true raw foodists, I feel pretty happy with my Breville Compact Juice Fountain. On the plus column, it's a nice size for two and fits under the counter. It's a breeze to assemble and disassemble, it juices quickly and easily, and cleaning is a cinch. Breville includes a brush for cleaning the juicer's mesh interior screen, and that is very handy. I clean the whole juicer as soon as I'm done, and I haven't had any problem at all getting to the machine's nooks and crannies, unlike some kitchen appliances I've had in the past. Most of the juicer is even dishwasher safe, although, I don't clean it that way most of the time. It's easy enough to do by hand, and then it's always ready for my next juice craving.

On the negative column, it's not great at juicing leafy greens. I'd looked forward to that, but this type of juicer just doesn't do a very thorough job. It seems to just immediately throw the leaves to the inside of the pulp container. Being a leafy greens fanatic, I hate to just waste leaves that could have made a marvelous meal. Luckily, outside of leafy greens, there's still plenty that it is good at juicing - fruits and vegetables like celery, bok choy, broccoli stalks, cauliflower stalks, cabbage, carrots, pears, apples, peeled citrus fruit... I like to do an 80/20 mix of vegetables to fruit. I often plan to bring extra juice with me to work for an afternoon pick-me-up but I've yet to have the restraint. I can't help but drink it immediately. The crisp and thirst quenching juice is irresistible.

I can't compare the dryness of the remaining pulp to other juicers since this one is my first, but I can say that it isn't completely dry afterward. It has the feeling of mashed potatoes. I've tried running it through the machine again, but the few droplets of juice it produces come out like sludge. For the most part I like the juicer, and so I've started finding other uses for the remaining pulp.

One thing I've done is make my own vegetable broth. Before adding any fruits, I juice only the vegetables. Then I remove all of the vegetable pulp from its catcher and put it into a pot with water. I bring the water to a boil and then lower it to a simmer. I let it simmer for about an hour and add in any additional herbs I like. (I often choose homey herbs like thyme, rosemary, and basil.) Once it has finished cooking, I run the broth through a fine mesh sieve to catch all of the pulp. I use it in any recipes calling for broth or when I want to add more color and nutrients to my cooked grains. (Most people stay away from using green vegetables for broth because of the color, but I don't mind it.) If it's more broth than I want to have on hand, I pour it into an ice cube tray, freeze it, and then I can use just as many cubes as I need at a time.

Another way I've used the pulp is by incorporating it in smoothies. After I'm done juicing, I mash the pulp into an ice cube tray and store it in the freezer. When I'm making green smoothies, I just add a few extra cubes for extra nutrition, flavor, and texture.
review image review image review image review image
44 comments| 819 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 11, 2014
I did a 13 day juice fast using this machine, and it was flawless.

I regularly fill the whole pitcher that comes with it, to the brim with juice, without having to stop and clean out a filter like my old juicer. If I put in mushier veggies like Kohlrabi, it can get out of balance, but it is even then, really easy to run the filter under the faucet for a few seconds and keep on juicing. Pulp is dryer than the last juicer I had, and I am satisfied with the amount of liquid I get from what I put into it. It sounds powerful because it is. 3 carrots, a beet, and a big bunch of kale all at once as fast as you can push into it? No problem. Slower feeding seems to yield more juice though.
on December 30, 2016
I sent this to a friend dealing with breast cancer and she said it is an excellent product. There were cheaper ones available, but this was a mid-priced product that had good reviews, whereas the less expensive ones didn't have the consistent reviews I was looking for. I would order this again.
on January 21, 2014
I like this juicer and have gotten a lot of use out of it so far. Apples, carrots and oranges juice with a pretty dry pulp. Mangoes and small spinach had less juice, but rolling the spinach leaves in something bigger like bok choy or kale leaves seems to work better. The juice parts are very easy to clean and rinse out right away - I never tried letting it sit - it would probably be more difficult. It comes with a plastic long handled brush to use on the grating basket. That came in handy. I can see where soaking the juicing basket in lemon juice every once in a while can keep the tiny strainer clean, to help get the most juice out of your produce. The juicer seems very powerful and sturdy so far and I've used it almost daily for a month. I am pleased with the results and think the price was very reasonable on Amazon.
on June 14, 2012
Bought this about a month ago and am totally loving it. Fresh juice is absolutely amazing, unlike anything you can buy in the store!

Since this was my first juicer, I didn't want to spend more than $200, and this seemed like one of the best in that price range. I was a bit torn between this one with a high RPM and others with lower RPM that are good at juicing leafy greens, but after trying a few juices with kale and spinach, it turns out I don't like them much in juice anyways so it's not a big deal to me. Those ones all have small feeder tubes anyways which means way more prep. I love how big the tube on this one is, the only thing I ever have to cut are largish apples that I sometimes get from Costco. The ones I buy from my local grocery fit in without having to cut them at all.

Fresh juice makes you feel fantastic and it's great replacement for breakfast and/or lunch. I've been trying to have it for both most of the time I've had it and have lost 8 pounds without really even trying. My goal was to lose 20 pounds before my wedding in 3 months from now (4 months from when I bought it) so already being almost half way there in a quarter of the time is a nice feeling!

I definitely see myself being a "lifer" when it comes to juicing. I am so glad I decided to finally try it!

Pro's:
- Large feeder tube means almost no prep needed, other than rinsing the raw goods.
- Super quick to make juice - from the time I decide I want some to the time I'm drinking it is rarely longer than 5 minutes.
- Fast cleanup - there's only a few parts so it only takes a couple minutes to wash when you're done. Or if you don't juice every day, it's all dishwasher safe except the tube "pusher".
- Makes delicious juice!!

Con's:
- A bit loud
- Not good at juicing leafy greens

The two cons are not a big deal to me at all though, so definitely a 5 star product for me!
on January 19, 2013
I expend a lot of effort into making nutritious food for my family, but in the process I forget to give time to my own health and nutrition. One evening last week I realized I had gone an entire day without any fruit or vegetable intake (sadly, fries and ketchup don't count). I decided to take some practical steps and the 200XL seemed appropriate. I wasn't sure if juicing would be something I would take up long term and if a time consuming clean up would deter me.. After using the Breville for 2 days now, I believe I am hooked. I have had more fruit and veggies than I can usually consume during the work week. My husband has caught the juicing bug too (unfortunately, not badly enough to want to make the juice himself, but its a start). Cleanup wise it requires some work, taking apart, clearing out the pulp, soaking and scrubbing the basket, washing the parts which I do by hand. But it juices a carrot, an apple, an orange in seconds. I save the pulp and have used it in a banana quick bread and tomato pasta sauce.

I did read the comments on cleaning the basket being a hassle. It is. I soak it in soapy water for a few minutes then hold it under running hot water while scrubbing with the brush in circular motion. I've only juiced once a day since I got the Breville but I intend to increase the frequency and then I can see how it might become a hassle. But I'm doing this for my health and I have the time to do it.

Overall the Breville is great and I look forward to better health and energy.