Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 18, 2012
Update Aug 2014 - Thanks for all the questions and comments on my review over the years! Yes, I am still using the original juicer! No, this is not a paid endorsement. I have not been contacted by Breville or offered any compensation. When you find a product that is built well, works well and helps you get well...it's worth writing about it! Keep reading...

Update Oct 2013 - I'm so glad I bought this juicer! Still using all the original parts, nothing is broken. I've kept the mesh filter basket clean and it works great, but it is puckering at the top edge of the basket, between the spots where it's welded to the basket frame. It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the juicer, but it requires more diligent cleaning.

I have a new tip today about juicing spinach leaves. Stack spinach leaves about 2-3" tall and place on a large kale leaf. Wrap the kale leaf around the spinach and stuff into the feed chute. Slowly push the kale/spinach "package" down the chute. Small spinach leaves won't fly out the food chute or end up whole in the pulp collection bin. This works great with collard greens too!

Update Apr 2013 - Still juicing! I make about a quart of green juice a day. The shredding disc and steel mesh were showing signs of staining and minor clogging. The residue wouldn't come off with hand-washing, so I decided to try some serious cleansing using a spray-on oven cleaner. Bingo! All the residue came off easily, opening all the clogged mesh holes and rejuvenating the shredding disc. None of the original parts have broken or cracked. I remain very satisfied with this juicer.

Update Dec 2012 - The Breville Compact Juice Fountain works like new after 11 months of daily use! There have been no issues with the motor. The plastic parts have held up well but are veggie-stained. The shredding disc isn't as sharp as it was on Day 1, but it still works great. When the time comes, Breville sells replacement parts online.

Update June 2012 - Still using the Breville twice daily and it continues to work well. No broken parts.

Original Review: Prior to purchasing the Breville Compact Juice Fountain, I researched other models and selected the Breville for its features and excellent customer reviews. I've been using the juicer daily since Jan 18, 2012 and continue to be satisfied with the unit. As with any centrifugal juicer, the pulp may not be "bone dry" due to the nature of the juicing process. But I'm not a purist, and any increase in my fruit & veggie intake is an improvement!

PROS of this unit
* The motor is powerful. The toughest veggie I've juiced is a quarter head of purple cabbage, no problem. Whole kale leaves, celery, carrots, broccoli, beets...juiced regularly without any trouble. I haven't tried juicing a sweet potato yet.
*Quick and easy to clean because there are only 4 parts: the food pusher, feed chute / pulp collection lid, pulp collection container and steel micro mesh filter. See in the video how effortless the Compact Juice Fountain is to assemble. I prefer this model to my friend's juicer that has the side-mounted pulp basket.
* Juice spout fits nicely into the opening of the pitcher lid. Juice doesn't splash all over the counter.
* Compact size makes it easy to leave on the counter to encourage frequent, if not daily, use. The pulp collection container measures 9 inches in diameter.
* Froth separator lid works well to separate the froth from the juice when pouring into a glass. Save the froth! It will liquify into more juice.
* There's a handy cord wrap in the base of the unit.
* Juicer cover, pulp container, filter basket and pitcher are listed as dishwasher safe. I prefer to hand-wash! Note that the inside of the juice collector (under the mesh filter basket) needs to be scrubbed well to prevent build-up.

CONS of this unit
* One speed means you cannot slow the shredder basket down for tough or leafy greens. I compensate by packing the chute with green and feeding it s-l-o-w-l-y.
* Small slices of fruit or veggies end up unshredded in the pulp container because there is a small gap between the bottom of the food chute and the shredding blades of the filter basket. The slices are thin enough (1/16 to 1/8") to fit through the gap. See the video for actual pulp results.
* The juice dispensing hole is hard to clean and gets a build-up. A small bottle brush gets some of it out.

TIPS for juicing and cleaning
* Rinse or clean the juicer immediately after juicing. Dried pulp is hard to clean off the mesh filter basket.
* Juice slowly for better results.
* Juice leafy greens first, then juicier fruits will wash the healthy green into the pitcher.
* Stack spinach into compact piles, and pack into the chute. This way whole baby leaves won't end up in the pulp container. Fill the chute and allow the juicer to slowly shred the greens. Add broccoli, grapes, brussels sprouts, etc. to the food chute while there is still some spinach at the bottom...no more broccoli florets all over the kitchen =)
* Nest and roll big leaves like kale and collards. You can even tuck a small piece of ginger inside for more efficient juicing.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision about which juicer best fits your needs. Happy Juicing!
3,084 helpful votes
3,085 helpful votes
5150+ comments|Report abuse
on May 9, 2016
 Awesome awesome Juicer! 2 years in use, and still going strong! We use it regularly. One thing I would recommend is to spray all the parts out and spray/scrub the fine strainer IMMEDIATELY after use. If you do this, it will clean out nice and clear. Half the time I don't even use soap, just spray it all out over the sink (scoop the big chunks in the trash obviously), and then I just spray it all down with some food grade sanitizer. Don't let it just sit there, otherwise it can become quite nasty to clean out.
OH, also, if you want to, you can use all of the fibrous stuff that the juicer spits into the main compartment for healthy muffins! My wife has done this several times, and they turned out great. That way you can get the healthy juice, AND get some great fiber!

Note to the quality: This juicer has some super heavy duty quality parts. Just as a point of reference, I got my parents into juicing. First they got a Hamilton Beach Juicer, then they got a Jack Lalanne juicer... My Breville has outlasted BOTH of them, WORTH EVERY PENNY. Here's to your health! Please see my video.
184 helpful votes
185 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on January 11, 2015
Bought this bad boy as a last minute Christmas gift for myself. I did some pretty good research and though this may not be considered the best juicer, it did seem to have very good reviews. I've not juiced before this so I did not want to spend the $200-$300 needed to get the "best" that was out there. I was pleasantly surprised at this little fella. Very easy to put together. Very easy to clean. Very easy to use. Not sure if I'm being the most healthy but I basically put everything plus the kitchen sink into it until I get something I want to drink. Basically, spinach, celery, apples, oranges, limes, beets, cucumbers, pears, ginger and anything else that's laying around. When its done the pulp seems to be pretty dry and the juice is ready for my belly. I keep the pulp and my wife likes to add that to her meals or smoothies and she says she loves it. Seeing I bought it on sale for $55 I have to say its one of the better investments I've ever made! (and I've only made a small mess once)
review image
236 helpful votes
237 helpful votes
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 24, 2007
I juice at least once a day as I primarily eat raw foods.

My Jack LaLane juicer finally wore out after 2.5 years of daily use. I was tempted to buy another - but I liked the way everything including the pulp catcher is all in one unit. So glad I got the Breville.

This thing is POWERFUL, especially compared to "Jack LaLanne". It is so powerful I usually don't even use the pusher except to cover the top so your ceiling doesn't get covered with stuff. Other reviewers have mentioned that tendency. What wasn't mentioned is that the reason it does that is because the motor is so beefy that stuff will shoot straight up.

When juicing soft stuff I immediately cover the top with my hand.

The design of this thing is absolutely first rate. Even down to the plug, which has a moulded loop so that it is easy to unplug and plug in! No tool is required to remove the basket, as in most other juicers. Breville uses a combo of ingenious design and magnets to hold it in place!

Ease of use and fit and finish is perfect.

Clean up is really a 2 minute operation and I don't even own a dishwasher. It will stain eventually, as every juicer I have ever owned does. Carrot juice would make a great dye :-)

The pulp on this juicer is a bit wetter than the Jack LaLanne. The "Jack" had a much larger basket and a much slower rotation. I believe that may account for it. But it isn't much wetter - just very slightly.

This juicer makes much smaller pieces of pulp though - and my experience so far has been that it gets just as much juice from a pound of carrots.

Bottom line - I can't imagine anyone not loving this unit.

UPDATE 3/26/2011 This thing is still going strong 3.5 years later. Folks I buy carrots by the 25 pound bag so I am HARD on juicers. And not one part has needed replacement!
6,459 helpful votes
6,460 helpful votes
5150+ comments|Report abuse
on January 1, 2013
See my review of the BJE820XL.

I decided some family should also get into juicing. So I bought a Breville as a gift. Since I already forked out $400 on the 820, I decided to go cheep and get them a 200 for $100.

Bottom line: it works just as well. There is little need to spend more on the 820.

The main differences are the awesomely powerful motor of the 820: it hums away at a zillion RPM and doesn't break a sweat. However I put every type of vegetable through both and I can't really tell the difference.

I would be hesitant to let the 200 run for long periods of time however.

The 200 also needs to be emptied more regularly. You are not going to juice 2 full quarts of juice without overflowing the catcher.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on April 4, 2011
When I was looking into juicers, I heard good things about Breville. Although I didn't buy one of the high-end models or brands used by true raw foodists, I feel pretty happy with my Breville Compact Juice Fountain. On the plus column, it's a nice size for two and fits under the counter. It's a breeze to assemble and disassemble, it juices quickly and easily, and cleaning is a cinch. Breville includes a brush for cleaning the juicer's mesh interior screen, and that is very handy. I clean the whole juicer as soon as I'm done, and I haven't had any problem at all getting to the machine's nooks and crannies, unlike some kitchen appliances I've had in the past. Most of the juicer is even dishwasher safe, although, I don't clean it that way most of the time. It's easy enough to do by hand, and then it's always ready for my next juice craving.

On the negative column, it's not great at juicing leafy greens. I'd looked forward to that, but this type of juicer just doesn't do a very thorough job. It seems to just immediately throw the leaves to the inside of the pulp container. Being a leafy greens fanatic, I hate to just waste leaves that could have made a marvelous meal. Luckily, outside of leafy greens, there's still plenty that it is good at juicing - fruits and vegetables like celery, bok choy, broccoli stalks, cauliflower stalks, cabbage, carrots, pears, apples, peeled citrus fruit... I like to do an 80/20 mix of vegetables to fruit. I often plan to bring extra juice with me to work for an afternoon pick-me-up but I've yet to have the restraint. I can't help but drink it immediately. The crisp and thirst quenching juice is irresistible.

I can't compare the dryness of the remaining pulp to other juicers since this one is my first, but I can say that it isn't completely dry afterward. It has the feeling of mashed potatoes. I've tried running it through the machine again, but the few droplets of juice it produces come out like sludge. For the most part I like the juicer, and so I've started finding other uses for the remaining pulp.

One thing I've done is make my own vegetable broth. Before adding any fruits, I juice only the vegetables. Then I remove all of the vegetable pulp from its catcher and put it into a pot with water. I bring the water to a boil and then lower it to a simmer. I let it simmer for about an hour and add in any additional herbs I like. (I often choose homey herbs like thyme, rosemary, and basil.) Once it has finished cooking, I run the broth through a fine mesh sieve to catch all of the pulp. I use it in any recipes calling for broth or when I want to add more color and nutrients to my cooked grains. (Most people stay away from using green vegetables for broth because of the color, but I don't mind it.) If it's more broth than I want to have on hand, I pour it into an ice cube tray, freeze it, and then I can use just as many cubes as I need at a time.

Another way I've used the pulp is by incorporating it in smoothies. After I'm done juicing, I mash the pulp into an ice cube tray and store it in the freezer. When I'm making green smoothies, I just add a few extra cubes for extra nutrition, flavor, and texture.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
802 helpful votes
803 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on December 30, 2015
am new to juicing and read all the reviews on here before I bought this one. It is a great juicer. The price is excellent and it does exactly what it says it does. I get a huge glass of juice in just a few seconds and I feel better after! Every AM now I take one lg apple, 2 lg carrots, 1 stalk of celery, and a handful of grapes and I get a very large glass of fresh juice right in my kitchen before work. I never thought juice could taste this good without sugar and corn syrup.. but it tastes even better without all the additives!! I clean it up right afterwards and it seems to be very easy to clean so far.. the brush that comes with it scrapes the pulp out and the bristols clean the screen pretty well (I think a good soaking in bleach once a week for the screen is probably going to be in order though). I've already had one other person at work over for juice and she wants this juicer now too! It's a very safe purchase if you are looking for a good juicer..very good quality and a great way to get back in shape. You really can't go wrong with the cost and the performance of this juicer.
on January 11, 2013
I bought this juicer due to the great number of reviews in the price point I was looking for. I didn't want to buy something so cheap that it turns me off of juicing, but also did not want to spend a ton of money when I'm not planning to be hardcore into juicing. I read that cabbage juice was a helpful natural cure for ulcers and heartburn so I figured why not. Well after it arrived I saw the sticker that said it was the same brand of juicer featured in "fat, sick and nearly dead" so we watched the documentary and decided to start juicing once or twice a day. We are pretty darn hooked. My husband loves it and says he feels great, the clean up of the mesh piece is a bit tedious but we make sure to clean it thoroughly after every use and have had no problems. We use the pulp in soups and other recipes such as meatballs and soufflés etc and have noticed a lot of health benefits from the increase in veggies and fruits in our diet. We use it about twice a day. If you aren't sure about juicing and don't want to go overboard this is a great machine to do it. It is effective enough that the benefits are felt but not so pricey you feel like you spent a car payment for something to sit on your counter.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on November 21, 2016
As advertised. About as small as you can get for a juicer with power. Does what it's supposed to do and does it well. Would I like to empty it less? Sure, but remember, it's their smallest version and it takes up less counter space. Cleans up easy and goes back together in a flash. The people that complain about it I don't understand. I wanted it to make fresh carrot juice. It does and it does it fast! I wanted it to make apple and pear juice with beets. It did and it did it fast! Again, for 100 bucks, what the hell are you looking for? Two years ago I purchased the large Breville Toaster Oven. I read many reviews because after all, it was $250.00. I hasn't given me one ounce of heartache since I bought it and I abuse the crap out of it! So, bottom line, you can't go wrong with the compact Breville Juice Fountain because it actually works and works well.
2 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on February 13, 2014
I have read complaints of other people with leaking or juice falling into the machine. And after a few months of using this I don't understand how that is possible. Everything is very contained in the catch. This is a great personal juicer. I find that for two people this is perfectly adequate for making juice. If your trying to make enough for a family you may need to upgrade to one of the more expensive models with the pulp collector in the back. Juice from what I have learned is only fresh and the most nutritious in the first 24 Hours. So the amount you make with this is perfect for each day.

Power: This is a very very fast spinning juicer. I think its even listed as faster then some of the higher end models. Although they have different adjustments of speed. I find that that the power is great for any hard vegetables. But not so great when it comes to softer leafy greens and fruits. Even with that said the pulp at the end is always dry and slightly damp never wet. I have been told that if you wrap leafy greens around something hard like a carrot you'll have better results and yield.

FootPrint: This is the smallest model that Breville has and is great for people who don't have a lot of counter space or live in a small NYC apartment.

Cleaning: Probably the part that takes longer then Juicing. All the parts but one is very easy to clean. Just empty the pulp in to the garbage or save it for many various uses. All the plastic parts can be rinsed and gently sponged over or put in the dish washer. The metal screen juicer element is the toughest to clean. It only takes a minute but you have to hand wash and scrub out all the bits that may get stuck in the screen, Breville does not recommend using the dish washer on it. The supplied brush makes the scrubbing easier. I recommend cleaning this part immediately after juicing run it under hot water with some soup and just scrub both sides till everything looks clean. I know it takes a minute which isn't long but hand washing everything else and doing it every day can get old. But you can't avoid this with a more expensive model. And no matter which one you get its still the same amount of cleaning.

I can't say enough good things about Breville. I own a few of their products and its all very well thought out and very design conscious. Even for $100 and having other models in its family that are more expensive. This is truly the only one you really need.
2 helpful votes