Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on February 12, 2018
I'm giving this four stars because though I love it, the friend who received it as a gift and uses it most thinks the bottom plate does not get as hot as it should. (It gets hot enough for me and a hamburger does sizzle on it). The only way to turn it off and on is to plug it in and unplug it. Safety wise this might be better (or not) and the cord is made with a handy loop pull that is very sturdy so I don't think this will cause it to break due to all the action it gets going in and out of the wall. The lights on the top DO NOT tell you when it is off or on; they merely tell you when it is actively heating or not heating. I'd rather know when it is on or off as I don't care when the thermostat is presently active or not. There is no way to adjust the temperature other than to set the height of the lid lower or higher depending on how think your sandwich is and wether you want to grill or melt cheese etc. All that being said, I really like it. It's my new favorite kitchen appliance. Another friend who came over and used it is going to get one as well because he liked it to and decided his kitchen needed one.
4 people found this helpful
on May 5, 2017
I love Breville products and this one is no different. Its well made and the lid has nice weight to it.

I would like to share one experience I have had with Breville on a Toaster oven that was out of warranty.

The oven stopped working and I called Breville about it. Fortunately, I bought it on Amazon so I could find my receipt really quickly. They had me send in my broken oven and sent me a new one. Very impressed with this company.
on June 2, 2017
So finally I bought Breville Panini maker after due consideration and comparing with various other products. It serves the purpose and is very useful for a family of 4. In one go I can make 4 sandwiches/ open toasties. However after few uses I realize that the base gets heated up after using it twice and the bread starts getting burnt. So you need to let the machine cool down a bit before you can use it again. which i guess is not so bad. No smoke, no smell and easy to use. I like it and can't wait to experiment more.
on September 30, 2016
I was a bit worried about buying due to the bad reviews. I ended up going for it and I'm very impressed. My husband and I both work so sometimes dinner can be difficult to get to. This makes a very quick dinner, lunch, or breakfast. Fantastic products. Heats up super fast. To turn on you plug in and to turn off unplug. Very basic design with high functionality equals great products that won't break. Solid build!!!!
review imagereview imagereview image
8 people found this helpful
on December 28, 2016
This is a big hit in my house. It's simple to use, the temperature is perfect so things don't burn, it's easy to clean, the grill marks on top look professional and it tucks away neatly when not in use. My only complaint is you can't leave it plugged in, there's no on/off switch, but the cord has a hole in it to easily plug and unplug it.
I was hesitant because I don't really have room for another appliance but this is worth the counter space. My teen boys have been happily making themselves elaborate sandwiches and quesadillas since we got it for Christmas, they have even been putting spinach in their sandwiches.
on May 30, 2017
So far, I've not discovered the limits to what I can do with the Panini Duo, but I have now given my toaster oven away as it did nothing that I wanted to do that the Breville doesn't do better. The plates, although not reversible, clean easily and I've not needed to use anything more than a wet paper towel to have them ready fro the next sandwich. It heats quickly, cooks efficiently and cleans easily--a winner for me.
6 people found this helpful
on July 29, 2015
I'm addicted to panini now thanks to this amazing appliance. When first using, I plugged it in and follow the instruction as if making a panini but did not put any food in the machine to allow the initial factory smell to go away after about 10 min without closing it then turned it off, let it cooled off then wiped it clean with damp soapy cloth, dried it and it was ready to be used without any lingering initial odor. They provide also a booklet with lots of recipes. I have the Breville smart oven for a year and half and I know this will be durable also.
10 people found this helpful
on April 11, 2012
My 14-month update. I STILL use this amazing panini grill nearly every day. Sometimes twice. I use it for so many things that I would find it hard to be without now. It is very easy to keep clean, it still looks new, and I still love it.

Update October, 2012: I know, it is hard to believe. I still use this nearly every day, and often, twice a day. Some of the further uses I have found: quickly re-heat pancakes or waffles...just pre-heat, put the lid right down on them, set the timer for a minute or two, and they are done. I make instant French toast by dunking a thick slice of home-made raisin bread into fork-whipped egg, soak both sides, put the bread on the pre-heated surface, pour any leftover egg over the top, put the lid down...and one minute later...PERFECT. I have also been using it to "bake" frozen fish filets (you know....Gorton or whatever....) I do put foil on the bottom, spray some PAM on it, spray PAM on another piece of foil, lay that ON the frozen fish, then put the lid all the way down. I give it about four minutes. The fish is a bit oily (the guts get a little squished out of the "crust,") but it is hot clear through and totally delicious...and saves you about 40 minutes of oven time too!

Update end of June, 2012: I am still using my Panini Duo nearly every day. This morning I tried pancakes. I wasn't sure how that would work, only doing two pancakes at a time. Still, there are only two of us, so I gave it a try. Check out the pictures and you can see the result. I made blueberry/coconut pancakes (kind of an improvised recipe). I found that 1/3 cup of batter, lid put down but not touching the pancakes, and 4 minutes per side, worked perfectly. Unlike my stove-top griddle, the Breville surface heats up uniformly. That is the best thing about making them on the Panini maker. I am pretty sure I couldn't have burned these if I tried. They are probably too light for some, but so incredibly perfectly cooked inside...you should try it.

Most Recent Update: I am still using this appliance nearly every day. It is so easy to use, and I keep it right on my counter (locked and standing on end - takes up virtually no space.) It still preheats in 3-4 minutes, and then cooks whatever I am cooking quickly. I just put up a picture of French toast....truly divine.

I have had my Breville Panini Duo for a few weeks now. I think I have used it every day. There is always something different to try. So here are some of the many uses I have found for it, most of which have saved me 30-45 minutes of the oven being on (especially nice now that it is summer-like weather.) Reheated leftover home-made pizza; heated the chips for bean dip (pre-heated the machine, laid a piece of foil on the surface, put on the pizza (or chips), put the lid down so it was not touching the food...and presto. Two minutes for chips, about 10 minutes for the pizza. I have made garlic bread, oven-fried potato slices, potato pancakes, tuna patties, turkey patties, French toast, grilled bagels, and of course, panini sandwiches. I LOVE this machine, and no, I do not work for Breville! I am a self-employed composer (among other things) who really loves kitchen "gadgets."

There seems to be a concern among reviewers about the "plug" "unplug" versus an on/off button. You should know, if you are letting this issue stop you from purchasing, that it is not a "toaster plug." It is a large, very insulated plug with a "handle" on it....incredibly safe, solid and very easy to plug and unplug.

I researched for days and days, reading hundreds of comments, and then finally decided on the Breville Panini Duo. When I purchased it at Amazon, it was $57.99....and with Prime shipping it was an extra bargain. It came today...and I won't have any bread in my house until Sunday! But I was eager to try it out, so I decided to see what else I might use it for. We love oven fries. Oven fries involve 15 minutes of pre-heating the oven to 425. Then baking the fresh-cut potatoes for a half an hour, turning once. We do not do this at all in the summer, for obvious (heat) reasons.
After wiping down my Breville, I plugged it in, then got out one large potato. I sliced it in approximately quarter inch wide slices, plunked them into cold water, and by the time I had done that, the grill was saying it had pre-heated. So I quick drained and patted dry the potato slices, poured a little olive oil in the bowl and stirred it around, then carefully put all of the potatoe slices on the grill and closed the lid. 12 minutes later (after approximately two minutes of pre-heating time) I had the most delicious potatoes ever. Crispy on the outside, nice and done on the inside....machine already unplugged. Fabulous. Probably wouldn't have needed the olive oil, but I am not used to cooking without it. Maybe next time I will try without.

I have never had a panini sandwich, so I am looking forward to MANY of those, even if we never get fancier than smoked turkey and swiss cheese on whole wheat bread. But I am thinking I will be using this machine for many, many other things as well. Cooking for two...it is a perfect size.

So today, (2nd day,) still having no bread, I decided to further experiment. I made tuna patties (simple....a can of good tuna, some chopped onions, oat bran (I had no bread crumbs either), a spritz of lemmon juice and some chopped up cabbage (I often use broccoli instead, and normally stir in an egg, which I did not do this time.) Anyway....less than 5 minutes to heat the grill, and 6 minutes to cook the tuna patties. While they were cooking, I whipped up the "potato cakes" I make with leftover mashed potatoes and egg. Took out the tuna, put on the "lumps" of potato....they were done in 4 minutes, thoroughly cooked, crispy on the outside, lovely on the inside. If you miss the buttery taste (normally I would fry each of these items in skillets or griddle with olive oil and a little butter) you can spread some butter on after. I am not sure yet how to use olive oil when I want to. I am afraid it will get too hot while the thing is heating up...and I am afraid to put it on WHILE the griddle is hot.....so I guess I will do some experimenting about that.

I love this machine so much, thought I would do another update. For my third use....I did another version, using the leftover tuna patties, stirred them into mashed potatos with an egg and cheddar cheese, all together. This time when the grill was preheated I did pour a bit of olive oil on the flat plate and spread it with a spatula, there was no sizzling or popping or anything dangerous, although I tend to wear an oven mitt because I am not used to the machine yet and am afraid of getting burned bumping into the top grid. Anyway, I spooned my concoction on, closed the lid, set the timer for 5 minutes, and that was all it took. Delicious. And by the way....there is no reason on earth to have removable plates...this is SO easy to wipe down when it is cool.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
62 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 8, 2017
Great little device: warms up quickly and prepares paninis in no time. It's powerful enough to make panini out of frozen bread w/o thawing. The fact that the cooking plates are not removable is not a problem at all. It's very easy to clean them with a wet napkin or a sponge. Love it. Takes little space and can be conveniently stored in a kitchen cabinet. I own a coffee maker from Breville and they again didn't disappoint!
5 people found this helpful
on April 3, 2017
I got this as a gift for my boyfriend after his Hamilton Panini Press bit the dust. The difference is amazing. You can easily cook two paninis perfectly. It does take longer than his old panini press, but that's because it is cooking it more evenly. The cheese is always the perfect consistency/ gooey level. We've had it for a month and a half and no issues so far. I hope that it continues to work well!
4 people found this helpful