Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 337 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 391 reviews
on April 11, 2012
My 14-month update. I STILL use this amazing panini grill nearly every day. Sometimes twice. I use it for so many things that I would find it hard to be without now. It is very easy to keep clean, it still looks new, and I still love it.

Update October, 2012: I know, it is hard to believe. I still use this nearly every day, and often, twice a day. Some of the further uses I have found: quickly re-heat pancakes or waffles...just pre-heat, put the lid right down on them, set the timer for a minute or two, and they are done. I make instant French toast by dunking a thick slice of home-made raisin bread into fork-whipped egg, soak both sides, put the bread on the pre-heated surface, pour any leftover egg over the top, put the lid down...and one minute later...PERFECT. I have also been using it to "bake" frozen fish filets (you know....Gorton or whatever....) I do put foil on the bottom, spray some PAM on it, spray PAM on another piece of foil, lay that ON the frozen fish, then put the lid all the way down. I give it about four minutes. The fish is a bit oily (the guts get a little squished out of the "crust,") but it is hot clear through and totally delicious...and saves you about 40 minutes of oven time too!

Update end of June, 2012: I am still using my Panini Duo nearly every day. This morning I tried pancakes. I wasn't sure how that would work, only doing two pancakes at a time. Still, there are only two of us, so I gave it a try. Check out the pictures and you can see the result. I made blueberry/coconut pancakes (kind of an improvised recipe). I found that 1/3 cup of batter, lid put down but not touching the pancakes, and 4 minutes per side, worked perfectly. Unlike my stove-top griddle, the Breville surface heats up uniformly. That is the best thing about making them on the Panini maker. I am pretty sure I couldn't have burned these if I tried. They are probably too light for some, but so incredibly perfectly cooked inside...you should try it.

Most Recent Update: I am still using this appliance nearly every day. It is so easy to use, and I keep it right on my counter (locked and standing on end - takes up virtually no space.) It still preheats in 3-4 minutes, and then cooks whatever I am cooking quickly. I just put up a picture of French toast....truly divine.

I have had my Breville Panini Duo for a few weeks now. I think I have used it every day. There is always something different to try. So here are some of the many uses I have found for it, most of which have saved me 30-45 minutes of the oven being on (especially nice now that it is summer-like weather.) Reheated leftover home-made pizza; heated the chips for bean dip (pre-heated the machine, laid a piece of foil on the surface, put on the pizza (or chips), put the lid down so it was not touching the food...and presto. Two minutes for chips, about 10 minutes for the pizza. I have made garlic bread, oven-fried potato slices, potato pancakes, tuna patties, turkey patties, French toast, grilled bagels, and of course, panini sandwiches. I LOVE this machine, and no, I do not work for Breville! I am a self-employed composer (among other things) who really loves kitchen "gadgets."

There seems to be a concern among reviewers about the "plug" "unplug" versus an on/off button. You should know, if you are letting this issue stop you from purchasing, that it is not a "toaster plug." It is a large, very insulated plug with a "handle" on it....incredibly safe, solid and very easy to plug and unplug.

I researched for days and days, reading hundreds of comments, and then finally decided on the Breville Panini Duo. When I purchased it at Amazon, it was $57.99....and with Prime shipping it was an extra bargain. It came today...and I won't have any bread in my house until Sunday! But I was eager to try it out, so I decided to see what else I might use it for. We love oven fries. Oven fries involve 15 minutes of pre-heating the oven to 425. Then baking the fresh-cut potatoes for a half an hour, turning once. We do not do this at all in the summer, for obvious (heat) reasons.
After wiping down my Breville, I plugged it in, then got out one large potato. I sliced it in approximately quarter inch wide slices, plunked them into cold water, and by the time I had done that, the grill was saying it had pre-heated. So I quick drained and patted dry the potato slices, poured a little olive oil in the bowl and stirred it around, then carefully put all of the potatoe slices on the grill and closed the lid. 12 minutes later (after approximately two minutes of pre-heating time) I had the most delicious potatoes ever. Crispy on the outside, nice and done on the inside....machine already unplugged. Fabulous. Probably wouldn't have needed the olive oil, but I am not used to cooking without it. Maybe next time I will try without.

I have never had a panini sandwich, so I am looking forward to MANY of those, even if we never get fancier than smoked turkey and swiss cheese on whole wheat bread. But I am thinking I will be using this machine for many, many other things as well. Cooking for two...it is a perfect size.

So today, (2nd day,) still having no bread, I decided to further experiment. I made tuna patties (simple....a can of good tuna, some chopped onions, oat bran (I had no bread crumbs either), a spritz of lemmon juice and some chopped up cabbage (I often use broccoli instead, and normally stir in an egg, which I did not do this time.) Anyway....less than 5 minutes to heat the grill, and 6 minutes to cook the tuna patties. While they were cooking, I whipped up the "potato cakes" I make with leftover mashed potatoes and egg. Took out the tuna, put on the "lumps" of potato....they were done in 4 minutes, thoroughly cooked, crispy on the outside, lovely on the inside. If you miss the buttery taste (normally I would fry each of these items in skillets or griddle with olive oil and a little butter) you can spread some butter on after. I am not sure yet how to use olive oil when I want to. I am afraid it will get too hot while the thing is heating up...and I am afraid to put it on WHILE the griddle is hot.....so I guess I will do some experimenting about that.

I love this machine so much, thought I would do another update. For my third use....I did another version, using the leftover tuna patties, stirred them into mashed potatos with an egg and cheddar cheese, all together. This time when the grill was preheated I did pour a bit of olive oil on the flat plate and spread it with a spatula, there was no sizzling or popping or anything dangerous, although I tend to wear an oven mitt because I am not used to the machine yet and am afraid of getting burned bumping into the top grid. Anyway, I spooned my concoction on, closed the lid, set the timer for 5 minutes, and that was all it took. Delicious. And by the way....there is no reason on earth to have removable plates...this is SO easy to wipe down when it is cool.
review image review image review image review image
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2014
I could not wait to get this item. My George Foreman (one of the original ones) died on me a few weeks ago. I took to the net and started combing reviews. As I came upon poor quality reviews about current GF's, I decided to broaden my research. My next choice was the Cuisinart, but once I read a certain amount of poor quality reviews, despite how ever many praises, I back off. Next, I came upon the Breville Panini and didn't read not 1 review about poor quality; there we go. Okay, the basics: received the product very quickly -- 2 days. It was well packaged; didn't give the appearance that it was a formally-returned product. The quality was immediately noticeable. Instructions were a quick read. There were no issues with smoking, when I plugged it in (read that on some reviews). Cleanup is a breeze, even after melted cheese. As long as you wipe up while it's luke warm, with a paper towel or cloth, you're good to go. Now, here's why I'm not as impressed as I'd like to be: my sandwiches (I make thick, tall ones) have not been as hot, especially inside, as I would like them to be. Once I close the top, contents of the sandwich sort of swish outwards, sometimes. I paid attention on my 2nd go round to ensure that I was placing the sandwich towards the back, as instructed. The same end result. I decreased my sandwich height, but the same occurred. I experimented with cooking eggs, hash browns, mushrooms, onions and sausage on the grill. Eventually, it turned out quite tasty, but the length of time was not worth it. Had I used my stove top, it would have taken half the time. I have made a traditional grilled cheese and it was very good. Though I'm not excited as I had anticipated, I am keeping it and will experiment with it some more. I have a standard apartment kitchen and my countertop space isn't compromised, whether I place it vertically or horizontally. It's presents quality, is good looking and matches my stainless steel and black appliances. I wish I could give it 4 or 5 stars, but can't.
on September 30, 2016
I was a bit worried about buying due to the bad reviews. I ended up going for it and I'm very impressed. My husband and I both work so sometimes dinner can be difficult to get to. This makes a very quick dinner, lunch, or breakfast. Fantastic products. Heats up super fast. To turn on you plug in and to turn off unplug. Very basic design with high functionality equals great products that won't break. Solid build!!!!
review image review image review image
on December 28, 2016
This is a big hit in my house. It's simple to use, the temperature is perfect so things don't burn, it's easy to clean, the grill marks on top look professional and it tucks away neatly when not in use. My only complaint is you can't leave it plugged in, there's no on/off switch, but the cord has a hole in it to easily plug and unplug it.
I was hesitant because I don't really have room for another appliance but this is worth the counter space. My teen boys have been happily making themselves elaborate sandwiches and quesadillas since we got it for Christmas, they have even been putting spinach in their sandwiches.
on May 30, 2017
So far, I've not discovered the limits to what I can do with the Panini Duo, but I have now given my toaster oven away as it did nothing that I wanted to do that the Breville doesn't do better. The plates, although not reversible, clean easily and I've not needed to use anything more than a wet paper towel to have them ready fro the next sandwich. It heats quickly, cooks efficiently and cleans easily--a winner for me.
on June 2, 2017
So finally I bought Breville Panini maker after due consideration and comparing with various other products. It serves the purpose and is very useful for a family of 4. In one go I can make 4 sandwiches/ open toasties. However after few uses I realize that the base gets heated up after using it twice and the bread starts getting burnt. So you need to let the machine cool down a bit before you can use it again. which i guess is not so bad. No smoke, no smell and easy to use. I like it and can't wait to experiment more.
on December 11, 2014
I needed to replace my Cuisinart Griddler Panini Press which I had had for some years and totally loved so I decided to go for this brand. The Breville press is a little different as only the one top side has the grill ridges and the other bottom side is just plain. But the surface is larger than my old one and the non-stick surface is truly amazing. After finishing the stuff just rolls right off with a paper towel. It's great easy clean up which I was missing in my cuisinart! I think it's because the surface is treated with a special non-stick. You can also make open faced melt sandwiches in this one which you could not do in my Griddler Panini press. This one has a few settings for toast, open melt or panini style sandwiches and grilled cheese. I also use it to grill vegetables like yellow and green zucchini or eggplant. In the end, it's supposed to make your life a tad easier so you don't have to turn your stove on and just use a cutting board, a knife and your materials! It turns any sandwich into a hot meal. I watched the videos and read the descriptions before purchasing it. I have to say it is really high quality and also comes with a guide book for recipes and uses etc. I hope you find this helpful. The only reason I gave it four stars is because I felt that my Griddler Panini Press had deeper ridges on both sides and that gave a different feel to the look and bite of the sandwich. Still this was a good replacement for it.
on January 16, 2015
I LOVE this panini maker. We have given this as gifts to young people getting their first home away from home, and I purchased one for the break room of my spa. It is more than as andwich maker. You can sautee vegetables or reheat leftovers. If Wednesday dinner was a pork roast with gravy, asparagus and quinoa, tomorrows lunch can be a pork roast, veggie and quinoa sandwich. Or, you can just re-heat the leftovers if you don't want a sandwich. I have made many a vegetarian sandwich with my panini maker. Just throw some sliced eggplant, portobello mushroom, tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, and some shallots on the panini maker for a few minutes, add to a baguette with goat cheese and basil and there you have it.

I originally purchased a different panini maker for the break room of the spa because these were not in stock on Amazon. The first one I purchased was half the price, but worthless in comparison. We have two panini makes and one sits untouched.

I have many pricy kitchen appliances and gadgets and I love them all. But this Panini maker is one that I use at least once a week. It's so nice to make my family a quick, easy hot lunch on weekend days.
on April 25, 2017
I purchased this panini press after checking out the reviews for various models. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it doesn't have an on-off switch. I guess I missed that. Otherwise, it doesn't take long to heat up, sandwiches are nicely browned without using oil or butter, and the contents are hot. Thicker breads or rolls take some extra time and had to be moved a few times. The top really isn't heavy enough to flatten them out. It's easy to clean even with melted cheese.
on January 21, 2013
We read tons of reviews for this press and others before we bought this one. We have had it three months and use it everyday. We make way more than sandwiches on it. We have made pancakes, toast, cookies, and we heat up our son's dinners some nights (frozen tots, fries, nuggets, stuff like that). Overall we are incredibly pleased with how it cooks and its many uses. We have two gripes and they are kinda big: there is NO on/off switch. You turn it on and turn it off with the power cord. Sometimes when I pull it there's a spark. I don't like that! And the plates aren't removable for cleaning. It's not such a big deal for the bottom plate, that one seems to clean up pretty easily as long as you wipe it while it's warm. Even still, there is some discoloration. But the top plate is a PAIN to clean. The angle is awkward. And I cannot get it to come completely clean no matter what I try. The grill is only three months old but it looks like I've been using it for 100 years. Not happy about that.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.