Breville SK500XL Ikon Cordless 1.7-Liter Stainless-Steel Electric Kettle
|Price:||$79.95 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 1500-watt cordless kettle rapidly boils up to 1-2/3 liters of water
- Cushion-controlled lid; water-level indicator; removable scale filter
- Easy "on/off" switch; "ready" bell; auto shut-off; boil-dry protection
- Brushed stainless-steel housing; soft-grip handle; cord storage
- Measures 8-3/4 by 6 by 9 inches; 1-year limited warranty
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Compare to Similar Items
This item: Breville SK500XL Ikon Cordless 1.7-Liter Stainless-Steel Electric Kettle
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Color||Brushed Stnless Stl||Silver||glass||Brushed Stainless Steel|
|Material||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Glass||Stainless Steel|
|Dimensions||10 inches x 8 inches x 11 inches||12 inches x 8.25 inches x 9.75 inches||13 inches x 8 inches x 9.63 inches||10.1 inches x 8.6 inches x 5.9 inches|
|Item Weight||3.1 pounds||6.5 pounds||12.5 pounds||5 pounds|
Please help us improve this feature. Tell us what you think of this feature.
Top Customer Reviews
- clean, beautiful design which is also easier to clean.
- hefty, substantial base unit with place to wrap around the cord
- boils quickly in 4 min. for full 1.5 L
- more substantial kettle than more expensive models by Chef's Choice or Cuisinart. The Chef's Tools electric kettle @ the same price point looked flimsier. In fact, the floor model Chef's Choice kettle was no longer closing or opening its lid properly-- always a bad sign when a floor model falls apart.
- modest yet easily audible "ping" sound when the water has come to a boil, and the kettle shuts off automatically.
- the outlet is easy to pull due to the hollow center design
- heavy kettle.
- occasionally, there's a metallic taste in reboiled water if the water was left inside the kettle for several hours. However, the water tastes fine if you boil a pot from freshly filled water.
Overall, clearly the pros outweigh the cons. We're heavy users of the electric kettle, especially in the winter, boiling water for teas, soups at least 4-5x per day. We'll report back again in a yr after the warranty expires.
UPDATE > 1 yr after post (4/6/08): The Breville Ikon is still going strong. The water seems to be taking a slightly longer time to boil. We still use it 3-4 times per day, and it works well.
UPDATE 12/19/11: Kettle still going strong. We still use it 2-3x/day, and it still works great. Wow. Worth every cent.Read more ›
1. Being an extremely convenient home appliance "discovered" by the Europeans decades ago, and later in the USA, the electric kettle always left one concern: compared to its mundane predecessor it was typically made of plastic inside and out. Which could potentially mean various unhealthy substances emanating into the water from the plastic sides, especially at high boiling temperatures. This one is made of stainless steel and doesn't cause any such concerns.
2. The kettle can be rotated on its cordless base, which makes it easier to put it back on the base than some other models.
3. It has a transparent wall segment to measure water level. While this "window" is not located optimally (somewhat shadowed by the handle) and hasn't got a bright floating level marker, this design is sturdier than some others, and is less prone to leaks.
4. Blue back-light that goes on and lights this "window" when the kettle is switched on, is a nice touch. It both attracts attention and simplifies reading the water level.
5. It's easy to open the lid, and the opening is wide to add water with no problems or dripping. (In some models the handle partly covers the lid, making it hard to open and/or add water.)
6. Like in most up-to-date models, the heating spiral is NOT located inside the boiling case, but rather underneath it, which makes the design more relaible, and it is also much easier to wash the kettle inside if need be.
7. Time to boil is reasonable and not worse than average.
1. Stainless inside and out. No plastic taste or chemical worries.
2. Very comfortable handle, nice curve to it, and totally insulated.
3. Cord minder on the base bottom; allows you to tailor the cord length to your needs. Cord very sturdy.
4. Separate base contains the cord. The kettle itself reminds me, from the standpoint of heft and size, of an "old fashioned" stove top percolator
5. The removable kettle itself; also, you can turn the kettle around to any point on the base; it doesn't have a notch or fixed position
6. Construction appears to be quite solid. Push a button and the top opens up automatically (not just a cheap spring, either). Glass center insert on top so you can see in; top is also domed to direct condensation back into the pot; haven't had any problem with water dripping onto the counter (or hand!) when opened.
7. Quick; heating just one mugful of water to boiling is easily faster than the microwave (same time in microwave will leave you with hot, but not boiling water).
8. Easy to clean; the opening is wide enough to get your hand in, and the top opens up to 90 degrees. There is a rod that runs up the inside, part of the temperature sensing system, but there's room enough to get a soft cloth behind it, you'd just need to avoid too much force. Cleaning, however, is not a big deal overall if you use it for its purpose - heating WATER only (don't heat your soup in this; it's not made for it).Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I only keep things on my countertop that aren't ugly, and the Breville is a stylish little appliance. Read morePublished 8 hours ago by r. johnson
Literally saved by the bell every morning before I go to work. The finishing chime is a lovely feature. Read morePublished 1 day ago by Ana Morozoff
Rubbish. My second one just failed. First the light goes out, then the switch starts to work sporadically and then the thing fails completely. Very disappointing.Published 2 days ago by Namaste
Love this . Hot water for tea or coffee in minutes shuts off when done boiling and keeps me from burning up tea kettles. Read morePublished 8 days ago by Amazon Customer
This is the second one I have ordered. Both broke the plastic molding near the switch and then failed completely within 4 monthsPublished 10 days ago by David Quail
I love this kettle. I bought one for myself at home and used it for a year. I then bought three more for work for visiting guests from China. Easy to clean, easy to use. Read morePublished 15 days ago by jake Regna
Plastic around kettle disintegrated and stopped working exactly a year after we bought it.
Very poor quality
I recently purchased this product after being introduced to it by a relative. The kettle is phenomenal as water heats up quickly AND QUIETLY NO MORE WHISTLING! Read morePublished 19 days ago by Amazon Customer