Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,721 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,794 reviews
We have tried several different refillable k-cups; the Ekobrew Cup, the Keurig My K-Cup and most recently the Brew and Save Refillable K Cup. All three perform well and make a good cup of coffee using your own grounds, but the difference is in the clean up, convenience and purchase price.

Ekobrew Cup
* $10 per refillable cup
* Cleans easily by rinsing under water
* Three step: Fill cup, snap closed and insert into machine
* One piece with no additional parts to misplace

Keurig My K-Cup
* $10 per refillable cup
* Three parts to clean, but can be done by rinsing under water
* Five step: Remove K-cup holder, fill basket, insert into holder, screw on top and insert into machine
* Three pieces with potential to misplace

Brew and Save Refillable K-Cup
* $6.50 per refillable cup
* Cleans easily by rinsing under water
* Three step: Fill cup, snap closed and insert into machine
* One piece with no additional parts to misplace

As you can see in my opinion the Brew and Save Refillable K-cup is the best choice. I have several and use them daily.
33 comments| 424 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2014
The grind matters. More of a coarse grind works spectacularly well in these cups. I don't claim to be an environmentalist, but a friend and I had a discussion about how much waste K-cups create. For me, that was a factor...but the best part is the SAVINGS these fantastic little cups make. I have had them now for about six months, and can readily say, they hold up to daily use. My family of four makes about eight cups of coffee each day, and I laugh every time I use them, thinking of how much money I'm saving vs. K-cups that are at best, 50 cents each...with these, I estimate that I'm paying closer to 10 cents a cup. I have found that if you are someone who has a grinder (we do - a 10 year old Braun that works flawlessly), and/or you like most of the major brands out there that have a more coarse grind, you'll love these.

Finer grinds WILL jam up the cups, and you'll end up (unfairly) bashing these Brew & Save cups...so stick by the rules, and I PROMISE you'll end up loving them.

Some of the brands that come already ground at your local supermarket that I have tried that work well are:
Dunkin Donuts - Regular, Decaf, French Vanilla
Wawa - Regular and Decaf (for those that are lucky to get this AMAZING, and inexpensive coffee...try it!!)
New England Coffee Company (regular, decaf)

A couple that I tried, that WILL NOT WORK in these cups (the grind is TOO FINE and will CLOG the cups):
Gevalia (shame, because I really like this brand)
illy (also a shame)

If you're careful, you can check most brands simply by rolling the bag around a bit in the stores and listening....if it sounds like a bag full of dust, then don't buy it. If it sounds like a bag of sand, then go for it and give it a try...or better yet, look for some brands that actually indicate whether it's a fine or coarse grind.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE YOUR K-CUP standard tray. You just open your Keurig (I use the Cuisinart, which I find to be the best I've ever owned, by a WIDE margin), and put the Brew & Save in just the way you would put a regular K-cup. How does this work without the pin punching a hole in the bottom!?", you ask....well, the cup has notches on the bottom that do not interfere with, or harm the Brew and Save, or the punch-pin in any way. If you look at the picture, there is a little "shoulder" that sticks out from the sides of the top of the Brew and save. Those curved bottom half circles "sit" in the notches of the K-cup holder perfectly every time, so you cannot mess it up. (See my attached photos of the open top, bottom, and the cup sitting in a Cuisinart K-cup brewer. The Keurig brewer has the same tray setup...I've owned both)

Cleanup is easy. I just turn the cup over, run warm water over the open cup, and the grinds fall down the drain. Anyone that knows kitchen tricks knows that coffee grinds are one of the BEST things for a drain. The grinds keep fats and oils from clogging the pipes by "scrubbing them" away, and coffee naturally absorbs odors and keeps the sink and drain smelling nice....so it's a win-win all the way around. The cups have been through my diswasher dozens of times with no signs of wearing, weakening or drying out.

So in summary - Easy to use, pays for itself, great for people that grind their own, or like a custom roast. Simply grind it more on the coarse side, and you'll be as delighted as I am with this simple, yet effective solution for expensive, wasteful k-cups. (Sorry, Keurig, but I still love ya anyway!)
review image review image review image
44 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 25, 2013
I've used both the Solofill and Ekobrew. Each of those had disadvantages, but this "Brew and Save" K-Cup seems to solve the problems and dislikes I had of the Solofill and Ekobrew.

The "Brew and Save" has a flat bottom, holds more coffee for a stronger cup, and doesn't leak/spew from the top like the Ekobrew did on me with certain types of coffee. And just like the Solofill and Ekobrew, you don't have to remove or change the K-Cup holder in the machine.

This is a good way to help the environment, save money (especially since k-cup prices have gone up), and use your own coffee (like buying it at Costco). It's certainly not as convenient as using actual k-cups, but it's not as much trouble and waste as brewing a regular cup of coffee the old fashioned way.

Tip #1: We weren't happy when we ground our own beans with a cheap blade grinder. We bought a Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black and it made a significant difference because you can control the grind well & it's consistent. You may have to "play" with the grind to get one that will work well, and it could vary depending on the coffee bean.
Tip #2: Make sure you do not overfill past the fill line... too much coffee in there will cause problems with proper brewing & water disbursement through all the coffee grinds.
Tip #3: Some pre-ground coffees will just not work as the water cannot flow through it properly.
Tip #4: To dump the coffee after use, keep it closed, turn it upside down, and tap it on the counter a few times, then open the lid over the trash and the coffee should fall out (might need some side taps)... then just rinse the K-Cup.

NOTE: You have to put this in the right way so that it falls properly into place or it won't close... and NEVER force the top of the machine to close.

5 stars for being the best I've used so far.
77 comments| 319 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2013
Overall, it works and for the price I'm happy. Been using for 4 months with zero issues - only wear is because of use. It's cheaper than purchasing the Keurig, Solofill & Ekobrew style cups. The hinge is weak and a single piece so it will eventually wear out and crack, but should provide serviceable coffee making for quite some time. Bottom cage strength is a little weak when closing the lid snugly as it can bend the mesh. When cleaning out by turning over and tapping, a small amount of the wet grounds come out the top because the sieve holes are a little too large for most store bought coffee grounds. The handle on the edges are handy for removing the cup while it is hot (if brewing multiple cups in a row) and they are easier to clean with the water under the faucet after use than the more expensive models because there is mesh on the bottom, not just on the sides.
I purchased this for my wife as she recently purchased the Mr. Coffee single cup brewer (Mr. Coffee BVMC-KG6-001). There are several versions of these load-it-yourself refillable cups on the market. The reviews on this one were the best on Amazon so that is why I purchased this one. I'm glad I did.

My wife tried both cups that came in the package and reported they worked fine. She had no trouble loading them. They worked well in the Mr Coffee with no leaking. She said the cleanup was easy.

Someone estimated the cost of the prepackaged single cups at over $100 per pound. While we are likely to buy a few of them my wife will likely load her own with her Starbucks coffee purchased from CostCo. It is her preferred coffee, and way cheaper than $100 per pound!
on June 25, 2013
This is my original post below, I am just getting ready to reorder as our lasted just two month shy of TWO YEARS!! Really good product!!!

With every review on an item new to you you have to weigh the good with the bad reviews and just see what comes out on top. Despite a few reviews with spillage and grind issues, I can honestly say we have not had any issues with these. We have a regular old grinder, we don't grind any differently than we do for the "normal" coffee pot. We are just careful to not overfill. There is been no problems with spillage, leakage, grinds in the cup---nothing. It's just not as terribly SIMPLE as those K-cups. That is the only reason it gets a 4 instead of a 5. It requires a bit of thought in the morning. Something I am not very good at.
on February 25, 2014
Drink a lot of Kuerig coffee and wanted something that allowed me to use my own grounds, cheaper. Bought this based off of reviews and have been pleased with their performance. I have a small Kuerig at work and a larger one at home, so this dual set was perfect for the value.

Construction is a high grade rubber/plastic material with a mesh screen at the base of the cup. The flip top seems extremely well made and durable and snaps into place even after hundreds of uses. Using regular Folgers or Dunkin Donuts coffee grounds, this makes a consistent cup of coffee no different from pre made cups.

Great bargain if you are looking to save money and own a Kuerig.
on November 11, 2015
Do not buy this product! These USED to be the best reusable/refillable K-cups I could find BUT they changed the design and omitted the half moon shaped tabs at the top that prevented it from being inserted incorrectly into the Keurig. These tabs were located at opposite sides so that the refillable K-cup could only be placed correctly and could NOT be inserted so that the puncture pin at the bottom would pierce the bottom screen. They totally messed up the design now!!!
on January 22, 2015
I went back and forth with whether to give these 2 or 3 stars... I chose 2 because I ended up throwing them in the back of a drawer while reusing another I got around the same time.
I found these cups tend to hold a lot of the water intended to go in my cup. At one point I got about 3 of the intended 8 oz. in my cup... They also lea e a gross layer of sediment on the top of what does come out.
When it has actually brewed correctly and I look past the weird sediment left behind, the coffee does actually taste great and there are no issues with splashing.
on December 7, 2015
These are exactly what I need for Keurig'ing my own coffee. Been waiting for these single self-use pods that will work with the 2.0 machines. I prefer light roast and must have decaf for medical reasons, so even though there are some K-cups I can use and do like, I prefer my Americano decaf. There are 5 in this package which really makes the price extremely reasonable and the product shareable with friends. Using these reduce your Keurig costs to a more reasonable level. Highly recommended!