Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 31, 2017
My 9 year old LOVED Hatchet so we bought him all the books by Gary Paulsen. He says they all seem to follow the same literary "formula" just in different settings - winter, an island, etc but he loves the outdoors and adventure books so he enjoys them, despite their slight predictability.
on January 6, 2017
Very popular series. Both my husband and his 11 year old granddaughter love them.
on September 11, 2017
My grandson asked me to buy him the entire "Brian Series" for Christmas. This title is engaging and inspirational, as are all the other in this series.
on April 24, 2017
Great book, great service!
on January 4, 2017
Best boy adventure book, gift well received
on November 29, 2016
My 12 year old loves these books. Highly recommend
on May 23, 2011
STORY BRIEF:
This is book 5 in the series. Brian was 13 in the first book "Hatchet" when he survived a plane crash and the Canadian wilderness - alone for 54 days. In book 4, Brian is 15 and returns to the wilderness - with supplies to live there for a while. This book is later in that same trip or the next year. He is now 16. He catches fish and shoots game with a bow and arrow. He discovers an injured dog. He tends the dog's wounds. The dog becomes his companion. Brian travels to discover where the dog came from and what happened. He learns it was a bear which Brian then hunts.

REVIEWER'S OPINION:
This wasn't as good as the earlier books. I listened to all of the earlier books as audiobooks. When I felt this not to be as good, I wondered if the others would have been less good by reading as opposed to listening. I would hope my reaction would be consistent, but there is the possibility that all of these are better "heard" than "read." I'm not sure. Anyway, this book was very short. It finished too soon. I wanted more. This book didn't have as many events, things happening, and things I learned as in the earlier books. It was pleasant because I liked being in Brian's wilderness world, but there was no "wow" the way earlier books were.

OTHER BOOKS:
The author wrote many books, but the Hatchet series consists of:
5 stars. Hatchet (read first)
5 stars. Brian's Winter (read second or third but I prefer second)
3 stars. The River (read second or third)
4 stars. Brian's Return
3 stars. Brian's Hunt

DATA:
Story length: 103 pages. Swearing language: none. Sexual content: none. Setting: current day Canadian wilderness. Copyright: 2003. Genre: young adult adventure fiction.
on July 15, 2015
I don't really like to read but when I read hatchet I loved it. Then I found out there was more so I read all of them. I don't want this to be the last of Brian so please make more.
This book was great and so were the other books in the Brian Saga. Most people might not want more of Brian so. They don't have to read them but lots of people like me want more. His life is great. And so much more can happen. So please don't end Brian.
on August 23, 2014
Brian is a wonderful character, understandably changed by his survival of the crash. We get a chance to experience the woods from his perspective. The crash and nature's harsh lessons that followed made him rethink his attitude toward learning, civilization, and independence. He teaches us about wildlife in a calm voice despite the dangers he has to face in this saga. Paulsen is to be commended for his knowledge and Brian's mature handling of life and death issues. This book was a pleasure to read because its vocabulary was descriptive and appropriately challenging for teen readers and satisfying for adults.
on September 4, 2017
This was also for my grandson.