Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Fergie PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here forum

Brickwalled or not?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2013, 7:13:39 PM PDT
Coltrane says:
Simple question. When this cd hits can anybody tell me if the audio is BRICKWALLED before I purchase it? Thank you!

Posted on Apr 16, 2013, 10:57:12 PM PDT
Tablet says:
whut?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2013, 2:57:37 PM PDT
Coltrane says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brickwalling

Posted on Apr 18, 2013, 9:09:10 AM PDT
W. Dillon says:
I'm definitely guessing it will be. It's produced by the same guy as the last one, so I wouldn't expect much. We'll see.

Posted on Apr 27, 2013, 6:13:46 PM PDT
Rad_Racing says:
Can guarantee you it will be. They will never learn.

Posted on May 22, 2013, 3:34:50 AM PDT
FU says:
dang it I want the vinyl so much more than the CD... but not 6 times more. Jesus H Christmas $60???? That's outrageous. And I'm sure the CD will be so brickwalled that I'll regret not buying the vinyl. God they really screw with the real music market. I PAY FOR MY MUSIC WHY STEAL FROM ME???

Posted on May 23, 2013, 2:06:05 PM PDT
Frank says:
I doubt it will be brickwalled. The producer got an ear full for the last album being so loud and both tunes Hollow and Stone sound much cleaner than anything of BGWTB.

Posted on May 24, 2013, 3:10:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2013, 3:37:57 AM PDT
Coltrane says:
BRICKWALLED
BRICKWALLED
BRICKWALLED
BRICKWALLED
BRICKWALLED
BRICKWALLED
BRICKWALLED
BRICKWALLED
BRICKWALLED
BRICKWALLED
BRICKWALLED
BRICKWALLED even worse than BGWTB...because remember folks...if it's not so loud your ears bleed, it cannot be a metal masterpiece.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=alice+in+chains&search_album=

Another non-purchase and money saved for me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013, 3:48:40 PM PDT
Frank says:
Well I just read 3 reviews of the album itself and I see 4, 4.5 and 5 out of 5 stars. Could be the album of the year. Buy it on vinyl if it hurts your ears, this looks like a rock masterpiece.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013, 8:15:15 PM PDT
W. Dillon says:
Thanks for the info. I won't be buying this for sure now. I also cancelled my pre-order of Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age so I can see what the DR is before I buy it. I know it's going to suck. The DR on the rest of their stuff is horrendous. Great music, though.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013, 8:39:52 PM PDT
W. Dillon says:
It's got a 3 out of 5 on Allmusic. But I'll let my ears decide.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2013, 6:44:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2013, 7:40:50 PM PDT
J. Tolisano says:
Yes it's brickwalled. I'm listening to an advance copy and theres ok punch down low the treble region is compressed to hell and it's LOUD. Not Hi-Fi in any way. It's a shame since AIC music lends itself well to a good quality mastering with dynamics. With some music it just doesn't matter. Sounds like an extention of the last album if memory serves me. It'll sound good on a pair of Klipch speakers cranked to 11 or on a PA at a concert. I haven't analyzed it yet....but I'm sure someone will by the end of next Tuesday when the album is released in the states.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2013, 11:52:03 AM PDT
J. Tolisano says:
I buy very select few CD's lately. Only audiophile non-brickwalled recordings. Jazz/Fusion mostly. I don't feel I'm missing anything by what I'm doing. I've been dissapointed by several of my favorite bands last few releases so now I have a hard and fast rule and only buy verified top notch recorded/mastered releases. I don't understand why these executives believe that because an artist is Metal or Hard Rock that the final product has to be lifeless with the only things going on is some BOOM BOOM on the bottom end.....vocals....and....some sizzle....sizzle on the top. Everything in between is squeezed out and I WILL NOT stand for it one bit. None of you should either.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2013, 11:56:24 AM PDT
J. Tolisano says:
I have it. It is. To my ears anyway and directly comparing ----- on quality headphones through a high end DAC and amp combo ----- to recordings I know have nice dynamic range. But let the analysis prove it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2013, 12:17:59 PM PDT
Coltrane says:
AMEN! I do exactly the same.

Dynamic is the true loud. Without quiet, there can be no loud.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2013, 12:26:12 PM PDT
W. Dillon says:
I agree 100%. One of the main reasons I buy the CD is for the sound quality so if they're not going to give me that then I'm not going to buy it.

Posted on May 25, 2013, 9:58:22 PM PDT
Coltrane says:
Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused To Sing" is a perfectly done recording and mastering job. Plus the music/writing is phenomenal. If you are into that type of music. Worth checking out. One of the rare new cd releases that is done properly. Several audio options to boot.

Posted on May 27, 2013, 5:37:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 28, 2013, 12:22:19 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2013, 6:18:58 PM PDT
W. Dillon says:
"Another thing is the problem is not the audio. It's likely the setup."

VIN, clearly you don't know what dynamic range is. It's not that we don't like loud music, it's the fact that the music is compressed so much and mastered so loud that it destroys the sound quality of the music. There's absolutely zero reason why the music should be destroyed like it is. AiC's first album had a DR of 11, the new one has a DR of 5. That is just unnecessary and pathetic.

Posted on May 27, 2013, 7:06:46 PM PDT
Just downloaded the new AIC album. Much to early to really give it a rating since I like to hear the album in its entirely a couple times prior to giving it my thumbs up. With that said, I would like to chime in to the discussion. I am a audiophile that listens to 95% vinyl on a high end system. I have learned in the last couple years not to run out and purchase new vinyl since most vinyl is just a medium to reproduce a digital recording. So, if buying new vinyl beware the initial recording is still digital and not analog. In the end the sound may still be digital and lack the warm analog sound. Until they choose to use DSD or an advanced recording format than you may as well buy the CD. I do not buy CDs any longer. I will download a FLAC copy from a source and if I really like it than I will wait HD Trax add it to their library if they ever do. HD Trax is a hit or miss when it comes to new releases. Ok, half way through the new AIC album and I will agree, sounds much like the last, but not as good. Oh well, life long AIC fan and will still loyal. Happy Listening.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2013, 7:11:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2013, 3:32:24 AM PDT
Coltrane says:
Loudness is all about mastering and LOUD mastering actually equals weak, whimpy sound. Clipping, another commonality in this trend, equals damaged sound.

Listen to the self titled AIC and tell me which has more punch...it or the last AIC release. And the self titled is fairly compressed too, but to me in the easily acceptable range.

As for John Coltrane, I own three of his cd's and they sound SPECTACULAR. His saxophone is practically hitting me in the forehead...at the very least certainly right in my living room, even with that old recording. Why? Because it has been properly mastered...preserving dynamics...giving it power and punch...although of course limited in the "punch" department due to it's nature.

Crush it down to an average range of 5db and see what happens.

Posted on May 27, 2013, 7:23:18 PM PDT
We need more people like yourselves to speak and demand better mastered recordings. I believe it is getting better with the resurgence of vinyl and people are demanding better sound quality. I have no idea the cost to record in high audiophile quality sound and but as consumers we need to demand artists to produce better recordings and not feed into the the compressed MP3 format by purchasing these less than ideal formats. I will stick with analog until digital can get their act together and start using an advanced recording format. Happy Listening.

Posted on May 28, 2013, 11:11:14 AM PDT
Steve says:
It shouldn't cost any more to master a recording properly. Problem is, the status quo is MAKE IT LOUDER instead of preserving any dynamics evident in the original recording.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2013, 2:10:30 PM PDT
Coltrane says:
Exactly. It's a choice.

Posted on May 31, 2013, 2:21:03 PM PDT
Agentalbert says:
I'm not buying this. I'd love to get a good sounding CD of the new Alice In Chains songs, but apparently the band has chosen not to release such a thing. It's atrocious what is done to music these days. "Black Gives Way To Blue" had good songs, but the CD is unlistenable. I bought that one but I'm not buying this. It pisses me off cause there are so many new releases I'd love to buy and listen to, but spend my money on re-issues from audiophile labels instead or just on other things.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Apr 9, 2013
Latest post:  May 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here by Alice In Chains (Audio CD - 2013)
4.3 out of 5 stars (421)