Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Luke Bryan STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Some of these essays are written so well, that they inspired anger at the characters portrayed...Many are less essays, but nit short stories either, so this book, much like its brilliant author, is hard to classify. Some of the essays are sublime though. The title IS A WARNING: the men here are unsavory, not to put a fine point on it, and the reader should beware of the truly scuzzy people and their attitudes towards life and other humans( especially women) are drawn to show how truly ugly and selfish so many people can be. A brutally honest series of portrayals of the human nature of people who burp at public gatherings and who do not often wash well, minds included!
on May 12, 2017
I absolutely love this book. Its a great read. High recommend!!!
on July 9, 2016
Not a light, entertaining read for me. 5 stars due to DFW's astoundingly creative style. It is a rare experience to marvel at the situations and characters he creates out of thin air. Bref, it's for those who appreciate massive talent and creativity as things.
on July 3, 2013
Although this book is a collection of short stories, it's emotional impact is not contained by its size. What is trly important about this work by the late David Foster Wallace is what it gives you to chew on. I have regurgitated many sections of the book, and even used its lessons - which are not taught didactically - in my own life. Strangely, a book on Hideous Men, could improve your sex life.
on April 30, 2008
David Foster Wallace is one of those "love him or hate him" kind of guys. His fans love his quirky stories, textural experimentations, and insights on the human condition. His critics, however, think he's too full of himself and egotistical. After attempting to read "Infinite Jest" last year, I was of the latter group. But after reading "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" and trying "Infinite Jest" again, I now consider myself a fan.

"Brief Interviews..." is not my favorite DFW book, but it's still a great collection of short stories. Yes, it can sometimes difficult, but if you take the time to really read them you will find some great, and hillarious, stories.

The title story is a series of fictional interviews with men who have some major issues. I've read reviews accusing Wallace of being a sexist, but I don't think he's intentionally glorifying misogyny. Hence the word "hideous" in the title. THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE OUTSTANDING CITIZENS!!!

One of my favorite stories is "The Depressed Person." It is a difficult read because the prose often reads too much like a philsophical textbook than a story. However, it's actually an interesting story about a woman suffering from depression and the effect it has on the people around her.

Another good one is "Octet" which starts off as a series of pop quizzes featuring different scenarios, but then, in a metafictional move, focuses on the author's original intention for the piece and how it didn't work out the way he planned. Judging by your tast, such "breaking the fourth" wall moves like this are either groundbreaking or cliched.

Of course there are flaws. Besides it being sometimes really difficult, some of the stories don't really go anywhere. For example, "Death is Not the End" is not really a story but a very wordy description of a writer relaxing by the pool. When I came to the end of that piece I couldn't help but think, "So what?"

Despite its flaws, "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" is a challenging yet hillarious book that may not be for everyone, but nevertheless displays Wallace's great talent.
on February 16, 2016
A brilliant and thoroughly engaging collection. I often find myself laughing out loud and he is never dull. His is a grievous loss.
on July 4, 1999
I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and reward of Infinite Jest (it took a couple of months to get through, and the next book I read took around 2 days) as well as The Girl With Curious Hair, but never got to grips with A Supposedly Fun Thing, so I was uncertain about how much I would enjoy these Brief Interviews. However, almost all of these stories (the exception being Tri-Stan) had me rapt, they were so brilliant. True there is a lot of repetitiveness, only just on the right side of excessive, but in for instance The Depressed Person it served to heighten the endless reworking of the person's fears. Plus I knew this wasn't going to be an easy read, although I found it to be a breeze compared to Infinite Jest.
One thing I've noticed has been missing from the reviews of this has been Wallace's simply awesome use of words. I love the way the words in the story fit exactly as they should, not to say that there aren't surprises and loops where I couldn't help but laugh at the audacity. But in the interviews themselves it's so easy to imagine a real person speaking what's written, the way they're interrupted and interrupt themselves. What's also impressive in the interviews is the lack of words from the interviewer, which I found forced me to concentrate more on the book, and gave me the fun exercise of thinking of the questions; and that only in the last shocking interview do we get anything of the interviewer's persona. And I suppose even Tri-Stan's wordplay was entertaining, although for me it was too long and rambling; Wallace's stories generally work best for me when they're more condensed. This is one book I can't wait to re-read.
11 comment| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 27, 2014
Even here, in what is one of his more minor books, Foster Wallace's immense genius is eminently present. He masterfully dives into the human person, exposing both its beauty and weakness. Highly recommended!
on August 15, 2017
👍🏼
on November 19, 2013
Parts of this book I really had to wade through, but it was worth it to come to the parts that were pure genius in their complexity. Wallace had an uncanny ability to look deeply into the souls of some of his characters.