Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 71 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 101 reviews
on June 12, 2016
I really liked this book. When I first started it, I wasn't sure that was going to be case, but it drew me in and I couldn't put it down. I feel like there are lots of stories about telepaths out there, and I feared this would be a run-of-the-mill paranormal fantasy, but I was wrong. There is something different about this book, and that is a good thing. The characters were interesting, though not always very noble, and I found that I really cared about them. Maybe it is because this is an "adult" book, as opposed to "young adult," and it is dark and gritty - whatever it is, I'm really glad I had the opportunity to listen to the Audible version of this book. It sucked me in and wouldn't let go. The narrator was pretty good, but it took me a little bit to get used to his style. He seemed to have a lot of long pauses between sentences, but I got used to it and really thought he was perfect for the main character. This is the first book I have read by Mark Tullius, and I think I'm hooked. I will definitely check out more of his books, and I recommend this one to anyone who enjoys a dark, well-paced story.
on April 26, 2013
The concept is unique and 'Thought Thieves' and 'Boots' the perfect names for these characters. While the protagonist, Joe, is well defined, I found myself trying to recall who some of the minor characters were when they became more important to the plot later; more frequent mention of them would have helped. I like this author's writing, but found the pacing uneven, and the constant flashbacks to various past events were confusing at first and made the plot somewhat disjointed. The ending was also very predictable. Mostly, though, I liked the book. Too many current 'authors' really can't write. This one can. The best sections of the narrative were the scenarios of Joe's childhood. The writing seemed more even in those sections.
on January 12, 2017
I was impressed with the unusual quality of this story's premise. It's rare that one finds something like an innate sense of precognition becoming a reason for persecution, and somehow author Tullius makes the concept work well. In this distinctively imagined tale, those who possess any type of clairvoyant ability are isolated and imprisoned for life; and the penalty for using one's ability is lethal. The story follows one such citizen of a futuristic world, who has more trouble than most of his fellow paranormals in following the rules. I recommend this book.
on October 14, 2012
Thought thieves can't help but hear everyone's little secrets and awful truths. Joe, the conflicted main character, would never wish this upon anyone- wrenched from his home, and placed in a government-sanctioned group was supposed to be better for him. But knowing he wasn't alone actually makes things worse- everything is on display, and there's nowhere to hide in Brightside. "Brightside was plastic," Joe says. "It was all just pretend, each detail fabricated so we couldn't jump off the edge of the mountain... take the easy way out." From a sham marriage to the cruel Boots policing Brightside, Joe's only connection to anything sane is his friendship with Danny, the only person who is truly able to find good in anything, and Sara, the first Brightsider he feels anything real for. Joe's life has been "one big should've. Should've known better, should've listened, should've paid attention." But when gifts from his father give him the chance to make things right, he stumbles across a band of rebels that might offer him the way out. This story of loss, family, and childhood trauma is a great read- I read it one night- and you'll start evaluating your life the way Brightsiders are forced to do. It's a really fresh premise, very unlike anything you've ever read.
on January 27, 2013
Brightside is, simply, a really, really, really good book. The story itself is very entertaining, the character development is interesting, and the action sequences are really well done. This is what I like about sci-fi and imagination: given a certain premise, is the rest of the story believable and realistic? In this case, yes. If you assume that telepathy is possible, then what happens in this book, sadly, makes a lot of sense. Why not send them off to be by isolated? And once they get there, just how miserable would it be to live in a world where you have absolutely no privacy or ability to hide from anyone? It's an intriguing situation and the author does a great job of writing a believable and satisfactory outcome.

Be warned--it is, as some mentioned, a bit disturbing at times, and sex and violence are a big part of the book. The sex isn't too graphic, but it's there, so if you don't like it you might want to avoid at least those sections. there's some language, too, but nothing you won't get from most movies today.

So, bottom line: Brightside is well worth your time.
on November 12, 2012
This was some of the best "new" science fiction I have read in a long time! It was true to it's genre, which means it's a little hard to describe. :) This book was compelling and interesting! It sucked me in from the start, and I HAD to read this, I felt like I was in a rush through the whole book. I never knew what was coming or where the book was headed. It was a REALLY interesting book, and a great premise! I loved this book and look forward to reading more by this author!
on April 6, 2013
I was looking for something to read on the plane and decided to give this a try. I kept hoping that this story would evolve into a really interesting take on how could an individual cope in a society where you couldn't keep secrets. Instead I got gratuitous sex, pointless violence, and way way to much conflicting angst from the character, But hey if you are into those things this is the story for you.
on October 30, 2012
Wow! I haven't read something this good in a long time. I downloaded this book on a whim and wasn't able to put it down. I couldn't read it fast enough. When I did take a break from the book, I ended up dreaming about it; I think it's due to how detailed each of the situations were described. Right from the get-go the book captivated me and drew me straight into the main character. I really liked how the author develops Joe by using Joe's childhood experiences and then ties it all up in the end. Without giving too much away, I also appreciate the ending. The ending leaves you thinking about the characters and wanting more. Yes, it was THAT good. I'm adding Mark Tullius to my list of preferred authors.
on November 4, 2012
Brightside is a unique concept about telepaths who are feared and therefore sequestered. The main character, Joe, is an insecure young man who at the top of his game selling BMW's is found out to be a "thought thief" and is consigned (sentenced) to Brightside, where he tries to have a "normal" life, but cant because everything there is artificial. Joe wants to escape, but is there a way? Maybe.

Written in the first person, this gripping tale had me from the start. Few books are real page-turnner, can't put 'em down reads, but this one was. The main characters, with their quite human flaws were believable and likeable. Except for a few minor typos or grammar mistakes this book was near perfect. These minor distractions are the only reason I didn't rate it five stars.
on September 3, 2013
I purchased 25 perfect days by Mark Tullius one week ago. After enjoying that book so much I looked for more by Mark Tullius. Once again he does not disappoint.
This book had me from the first page with two of my most frequent thoughts. The violent thoughts about my boss and how I can't stand to hear my loved ones chew. I'm sure many people can relate, but how horrible if you could hear everybody's thoughts. Or even worse if they could hear yours. Also another interesting look at people being under control by government.
Mark managed to make me cry while reading this! A very thought provoking book. I will eagerly wait for more books by Mark Tullius.