Brinkmann 815-4001-S Turkey Fryer
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 30-Quart stock pot and outdoor gas stove
- Aluminum stockpot and 45,000 BTU cast iron burner
- Over-temperature sensor- shuts off gas flow automatically
- 12-Inch Stainless Thermometer and 1-ounce seasoning injector
- Product Dimensions: 14.6 x 18.5 x 14.6 inches ; 23 pounds
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|Item Dimensions||18.5 x 14.65 x 14.6 inches|
|Item Weight||20.46 pounds|
|Shipping Weight||23.25 pounds|
Top Customer Reviews
There is a max-fill line on the side of the pot which turned out to be exactly the amount of oil I needed and was about 3.5 gallons. Next time I'll just fill right to that line and skip the whole water-fill measurement step described in many places on the Web.
The only annoyance was that during assembly I missed installing the spring in step 2 because it is not shown in the assembly drawing. When I had the spring left over I read all the text and had to disassemble part of unit to install the spring. The purpose of the spring is to provide a little friction for the air mixing control.
I tested the thermometer provided with the kit by placing it in a pot of boiling water and it was fairly accurate but I plan to buy a better quality one before I use fryer again. There is too much riding on the temperature of the oil both from a safety standpoint and when trying to cook based on cooking times that assume a certain oil temperature. I plan to just use them both and as long as they agree with each other I should be good to go. I also need to buy a large metal funnel with a fine mesh screen and/or cheese cloth to filter the oil after use.Read more ›
The "safety features" are kind of annoying, I think when I get the time I will bypass all of that stuff.
But for the price it is great. Comes to a boil plenty fast, and I can keep a full roiling boil of 6.5 gallons without having the gas cranked all the way.
As far as fryers go, while this is a very basic kit, you certainly can't beat the price! I know for a fact that this is the most affordable turkey fryer on the market today, so if you're just getting started, it's a great turkey frying kit. While the kit is basic, it does come with a thermometer (remember you deep fry at 350 F for 3.5 minutes per pound) and even an injection kit. (This is so you can inject a flavorful marinade into your turkey, even though I myself prefer a brine).
The gas valve to the propane tank on this kit is also great, because it really allows you to adjust the flame to maintain your heat at a constant 350 F while you're deep frying your turkey.
I would have given this turkey frying kit 5 stars, but I downgraded it to 4 stars for 2 main reasons:
1. It doesn't come with a fryer basket, which you really need to when you recycle your oil and make chicken wings and french fries afterwards!
2. The instructions aren't great, especially if you've never deep fried a turkey before. Of course, I am a bit biased there, since I wrote an entire book on how to deep fry a turkey, but still, for a rookie, the instructions aren't completely "idiot proof".
Overall, this is a solid fryer that is affordable! I would recommend this fryer to anyone about to deep fry their first turkey, or looking for the most cost effective equipment to do so.
Enjoy your deep fried turkey!
2) Paint is really bad. It smells when you heat it and turns white. I'm not an expert, but it doesn't look like the right kind of paint for a propane burner.
3) Assembly includes a spring, but the instructions don't say anything about it.
4) The 30 second push-and-hold button to light the thing doesn't work. Another thing you have to jimmy to get it to work.
5) My box was missing the bottom heat shield.
Stay away from this thing.
Assembly was not super easy, but not the most difficult thing to do. Getting the screws to line up with the holes was a little challenging, as the legs can flex a bit, and the tap on the holes isn't the cleanest. The instructions are a bit thin, but I didn't end up with any leftover parts.
There are a load of safety features on this fryer, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on your perspective. They didn't get in my way, for whatever that's worth. As far as I know, the safety items are:
1) A temperature sensitive button where the pot sits. The button must be depressed and the temperature of the pot can't be too hot.
2) A probe that sits over the burner to make sure the flame is on. I'm assuming if the flame goes out, the gas shuts off.
3) When starting, there's a red button that you have to keep depressed for about ten seconds before the gas starts flowing.
About lighting... it was a little fussy. Maybe I'm spoiled by grills with a sparker button, but sitting on my knees with a match to light the burner ring was kind of a pain. I can deal with it, though. Once lit, be sure to adjust the air intake valve to get the most efficient flame (super easy to do on this burner).
Once it started, I was really pleasantly surprised with how much control I could get out of the burner. I was able to maintain an even, rolling boil, and was able to make very fine adjustments of gas flow. During the hour and a half or so process, the unit was very stable and didn't give me any surprises.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Easy,. simple, bought it for my brother. Best tasting turkey I've ever had. Took no time at all. Keeps.me.from having to host Thanksgiving!!Published 1 month ago by Jon Leone
Not only a turkey fryer, but we use for lobsters. Great for getting that mess out of the kitchen.Published 2 months ago by cmp
It started out really well - *lots* of heat and easy to get a turkey in and out. However, as others reported, the paint on the burner failed very quickly and then the thermocouple... Read morePublished 4 months ago by baxkr
Disappointed, had to work magic to keep it lit, paint already is burnt off after first use, I don't expect the thing to stay perfect but come on, just poorly made, but I will say... Read morePublished 6 months ago by Amazon Customer
I use this thing all summer long, And I fry a turkey for X-mas and Thanksgiving. Very happy with thisPublished 6 months ago by Jason Walewski
I have been using this for about a year now and it is still working great! I do not use it for turkey, but to boil lobsters outside during the summer. Read morePublished 7 months ago by Nick Ricci