Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 6,234 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6,704 reviews
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on August 5, 2015
I've read all the answers from Brita to the comments posted by unsatisfied customers about the filter NOT staying sealed tightly. I know about first rinsing a new filter in cold water for 15 seconds. I know that you need to line up the filter with the grooves. I know you then push down hard the filter so it locks in place - so called! AFTER HAVING DONE THIS, the filter still pops up a fraction causing water to leak through the sides of said filter. Now, I am 6'5", 250 lbs. I lift weights 4 days a week. I am not a weak duckling. Yet, time after time, even after pushing down the filter with all my strength, the filter will not stay tightly secured in place. Why there is no rubber ring for added sealment remains a mystery to me. Why they didn't design this to "screw" said filter in place so it is water tight (versus just dropping the filter into the pitcher and pushing down), is a mystery to me. And, even when the filter does happen to seal a little tighter than it normally does, as soon as I move the pitcher about (to pour water for example), the filter will pop up again. The design is flawed, plain and simple. I do not have a bad device per say, it's just that they did not design the filter housing with effectiveness.
1717 comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 19, 2014
I currently use a Brita pitcher filter but I've been researching the alternatives in order to decide whether to stick with it. The Soma filters (available only through their website) are nicely made from sustainable materials but they provide no data on how effective they are, and the absence of information seems a little sketchy. The ZeroWater pitcher filter looks compelling, and is one of the few filters to claim reduction of chromium-6 (see below). But perhaps if I was to switch from Brita it would be to the Berkey system which removes a lot of contaminants (chromium-6, heavy metals, and volatile organic carbons) and because of the steel construction and long-lasting filters, appears to be more sustainable.

Meanwhile, the fact that you can now recycle Brita filters through the Preserve Gimme5 program significantly increases the probability of my continuing to buy them. You can find drop-off locations on both the PreserveProducts and Brita websites (they are commonly located outside Whole Foods stores).

Personally my biggest concern with municipal water is the presence of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that are not regulated and certainly not understood in terms of health risks (a 2009 NY Times article "That Tap Water Is Legal but May Be Unhealthy" is worth reading). We're now aware of the dangers of endocrine disruptors such as bisphenol A (BPA) but there has been a huge increase in the number of new organic chemicals generated the chemical, pharmaceutical, and agricultural industries. It's the potential for removal of some of these organic compounds that makes a carbon filter a worthwhile choice for me. Note, however, that a carbon block filter (such as a Brita faucet filter if used at low flow rate) can remove VOCs much more effectively than a pitcher filter. Keeping the water level in the pitcher high enough so that it's in contact with the filter will improve VOC removal efficiency but it probably won't be as effective as a Brita faucet filter or a Berkey system.

The Environmental Working Group (EWG) found very high levels of carcinogenic chloramine by-products in Washington DC tap water and recommended filtration through carbon. Chlorine and chloramines are often used to disinfect water at municipal treatment plants and can pose health risks if not effectively removed before reaching the consumer.

The EWG also found surprisingly high levels of chromium-6 in tap water (following Erin Brockovich's investigation you would think this issue has been dealt with by now) and Brita filters aren't certified to remove chromium-6. A reverse-osmosis (RO) filter can do it, but considering it wastes 3-5 gallons of water for every gallon purified, RO isn't a very green choice from a water conservation viewpoint and since the water purified by RO is mineral-deficient it's not good for your health either. Alternatively, the ZeroWater pitcher filters (if you can afford them) do remove chromium-6, and they do offer cartridge recycling (where they recycle the both the plastic and the resin) but you pay for postage yourself and get credit in return (which may not cover the cost of your postage). However, based on some of the negative reviews for ZeroWater (mainly citing filter life, bad water, and cartridge price) I've decided that if I switch from Brita it will be to a Berkey system. A key advantage of the Berkey system is that it removes bacteria and parasites, so it can be used to filter unclean water in an emergency. One thing's for sure: any one of my top three options (Berkey, ZeroWater, or Brita) is a whole lot better than buying bottled water.

For more information on Brita sustainability and impact, researchers at the Sustainability Science group at the University of Vermont have written a useful evaluation of Brita filters that you can find on the web.

Overall, I'll give the Brita pitcher filter system 4/5 gold stars for quality of the product and 4/5 "green" stars based on the social-ethical-environmental aspects of producing it.
on October 20, 2016
I've always thought that Brita or Pur are the pioneers of pitcher type water filtration brands. However, after getting into hydroponics and really understanding water quality, I honestly don't think that Brita is that great at all. The standard measurement of effectiveness of a filter is testing the TDS or Total Dissolved Solids in the output water. I live in Washington, DC and our TDS comes out of the tap at roughly 210 ppm. (the aim for purest water would be 0 ppm). After running it through thousands of Brita filters all my life, I'm realizing that it only filters a little little bit of impurities.

I recently got a laboratory grade calibrated Electric Conductivity (EC) meter which in essence is the measurement for total dissolved solids. In North America, this value is either multiplied by 700 or 500 to get the value in ppm. I am 100% sure of the accuracy of my new meter. Measuring the output water from Brita, I get a reading of only 198 ppm. So, all it filtered out was about 10 ppm??? That is hardly filtering. That is running water through a cheese cloth!!!

How can I be so sure I'm right? Well, let's use another water filter, namely, ZeroWater Replacement Filter for Pitchers, 2-Pack - ZR-017, the water filters out SUPER SLOW in this one, but the output water actually measures at ZERO ppm!!! I've used my meter on distilled water bought from the store and it's also 0 ppm. I've used my meter on a Reverse Osmosis system my friend has and the output water also reads 0 ppm.

I seriously think that all the rave of "My water tastes so good" etc.... is purely anecdotal and probably a placebo effect. I am actually very very disappointing that Brita has governed the market for SUCH A LONG TIME, living on ignorant folks (myself including), anecdotal evidence.
77 comments| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2017
These are supposed to last for months but the first one I used was clogged within a couple of weeks. it would take a half hour for the water to pass through the filter. I said to myself, "ok maybe this was a fluke". The second one I used has lasted longer but it is already slowing quiet drastically. I don't feel like my water has all that much if any sediment in it. It isn't even all that hard. My wife and I drink quiet a bit of water between the two of us. I used to switch out the standard filters after one month. I was hoping these would last at least 2. Not even close. I would measure the TDS but whats the point if the water passes through so slowly that the filter is no longer convenient to use?
on April 9, 2016
These are the water filters for the Brita pitcher. I ordered the three pack because the price per filter was reduced, as compared to the single filter purchase. There are also larger quantity packages with even more savings. I have used only one filter so far, and it worked even better that the filter that came with the pitcher. What I mean is that you must rinse the filter before inserting it in the pitcher. Once inserted, you may see some small particles of charcoal on the pitcher bottom. While it is not a health issue, Brita recommends dumping the water and filtering a new batch, until the water is clear. When I rinsed this replacement filter, and inserted it, I did not get any charcoal dust at all. Maybe it was luck, but that is the way it turned out. If you are going to use a Brite appliance, use the proper filter. But, read the package sizes when you do, to get the price that pleases you the most.
on July 30, 2016
I have been using Brita filters for over six years now and I have nothing but the best to say about them. Living in a part of the country where the tap water contains impurities resulting in poor taste, at first I resorted to bottled water. Besides being hard on the old wallet, I found that some brands had a burnt aftertaste to them. So I tried Brita. I was amazed at how it improved the taste of ordinary tap water. It tasted better than some bottled water I had been purchasing and it was crystal clear. I have been using Brita ever since. The only drawback initially is the cost of the pitcher, but once you have it the only other cost are the filters that are readily available at most stores. Each filter lasts about 40 gallons, which translates into getting bottled water quality for seventeen cents per gallon.
on August 23, 2016
The replacement filter has a newer design than them I have previously bought. You no longer need to do a pre-soaking before using it and it is easier to install, very convenient. Filtered water is so pure and clear that can really eliminate the smell of tab water and some harmful substances, no black flecks in the water anymore.
Considering the taste, the filter helps to improve the taste of the tap water and the water is crystal clear with a clean and fresh taste. Significantly, by using it to transfer the tap water into more pure drinking water, it also is an economic and eco-friendly life style compared with the bottle water.
Altogether, with the great filter, I can drink the water that is healthier. This is a happy purchase and I will order it again if the filters need to be replaced again for several months. these 3 pks can last really long.
on April 21, 2016
These are a newer design than the filters I have previously purchased. The new shape makes them easier to grasp and install. You also no longer need to soak the filters prior to use, which I find more convenient. The newer design seems to filter the water much quicker which is great for my family that can go through a pitcher very rapidly. I have also noticed that there aren't any of those unsightly black "floaters" in my water anymore.

As for the functionality, these filters make my tap water taste much better and remove many of the impurities and toxins. Given the amount of water you can filter, this is not only a much more cost effective solution to bottled water but also more environmentally friendly one.

Overall, these are great filters at a reasonable price! I will be purchasing more in the near future.
on August 31, 2016
Why buy these anywhere else when you can get 6 for $27 on Amazon?

We have a Brita pitcher that's going on almost 3 years old now. We let the last filter get way past it's expiration, so to speak. The water certainly started to taste poor. Upon receiving these, I immediately prepped one by rinsing it and then inserting it into the pitcher.

The new design with that circular pull handle is superior in two ways: You don't have to run gallons of water through your pitcher first, and they're extremely easy to remove from the pitcher once you're ready to discard them.

Overall, the taste of the water is so much better compared to a filter that had spent an embarrassingly long time (think 5ish months) in the pitcher. Replace them regularly or when your pitcher light indicates they should be replaced!
on February 28, 2017
Easier to set up no soaking required. Water tastes great filtering from tap. Definitely recommend!