Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 659 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 694 reviews
on May 29, 2013
Love this seat! My daughter said she feels like a big girl in it and thinks the colors are cool.

The pros:
- It is large enough that a child can grown into it and you will never have to get another seat to replace it.
- It can fit large toddlers or smaller preschoolers
- Very comfortable
- Stapes do not rub childs shoulder
- Easy install, I installed it in about 5 mins and that includes having to take it out and reajust the shoulder part.
- Childs head does not fall to a akward angle when asleep. This seat supports head, so no more painfull neck postions.

The cons:
- Its heavy
- I do not see this fitting in small cars
- In med size cars it will fit but not next to other seats, unless your good a puzzles!!!
- I do not like the round pad at the crotch, it moves around and bunchs up
- The shoulder strap adjuster is akward to get to

All in all I give it a 5. If I were in a smaller vehicle I would probably give it a 4 because of it being to big.
on March 11, 2011
So, I bought this carseat after watching it for a few days and the price had dropped about $10 extra overnight! (LOVE Amazon's prices on things! Babies R Us is charging about $80 OVER Amazon on this same seat!) I was a little nervous because I didn't have the chance to go down to my local Babies R Us and see if it would actually FIT in my cars; I have a 2008 Scion xB and a 2001 Honda Civic sedan. I read a lot of the reviews and found that they fit perfectly....in SUV's and minivans! This added to my nervousness. I KNEW I wanted this seat, but I was concerned with the fact that it just might not fit in our cars. We got the seat day before last and it fits WONDERFULLY...in BOTH cars! So, for all those out there who have smaller cars, but what their child in THIS seat, fear not and buy with confidence. Britax is a great brand, we have had our girls in Britax seats since birth and that will continue to be the case until they no longer need car seats :)
on January 4, 2016
I have tall kids & they always outgrow things soon than expected BUT, this britax booster grows w/ your kid b/c it can expand so high that your child won't even need to be in a car seat or booster seat by the time it'd max out (as far as maximum height allowance). I think the maximum height allowance is just under 5' or something crazy :) These car seats are worth every penny! They last for 9 years!! That's amazing! You can get this for your child & know that it'll last them until they no longer need to be Ina car seat or booster. That's why this seat is worth it, b/c it's the last one you'll need to buy:)
on June 1, 2012
As with everything else we conscientious parents/grandparents (yes, I realize that I'm not the only psycho researcher out there), I researched booster seats religiously. This entire process took me about 3 months when I realized that my second daughter is insanely large for her age and she would be outgrowing the car seat momentarily. The funny thing is that I own a Marathon and a B-Nimble stroller and worship them both, so the Frontier 85 was the front runner right out of the gate. However, I didn't want to be hypnotized by the Britax brand (although I totally am), and let "the greatest booster seat ever" allude my grasp; hence my journey began.

I don't putz around either. I gave some lower end seats an honest investigation, because you never know where you may find a precious gem of a surprise! But alas, I didn't. Then I moved on to familiar territory: Clek, Recarro, Diono just to name drop a few. I knew two things going in: I want a 5 point harness and the best bet in the unlikely event of an accident. The Marathon (Cowmooflage) that we have owned for 3 years, is an incredibly safe and thoughtful chair, so it made sense to just upgrade to the Frontier (which is also Cowmooflage).

There are 2 points that I would like to address that other reviewers have made complaints again. Unlike the Marathon, the tightening on the LATCH system is only one sided. However, Britax has cleverly instructed us to pull the slack through the slot near the bottom right of the seat. I just installed this seat today and it is remarkably easy to do. I'll teach you a trick. Don't pull the slack straight out towards you. Kneel on the seat with all of your weight bearing down, and pull the slack in a straight line hard and to the left. Kind of like a lawn mower but in the opposite direction. When I lifted my knees, the seat didn't budge, not even to "give" from releasing my body weight. This puppy won't move an inch, Just like the Marathon. For reference, they are both installed in a Saab 9.7.

The Cowmooflage material is the only material however that is not like a thick shiny tent-like material that I'm just not down with. I've actually never seen or felt a seat with similar material, but it stays cool when it's supposed to and vice versa. You can tell it's expensive.

This brings me to my final point which is the price point. Don't even flinch. As soon as you open the box, your anxieties will be released. This seat feel $300, no doubt about that. My 3.5 year old daughter's face lit up when I opened the box and she said, no kidding, "Cool!" There are 2 built in cup holders- seemless, no less so nowhere for gross things to fester. Consumer reports and parents alike rave about this seat. keep your kids buckled for as long as humanly possible. If they're older, use the booster mode or park farther away from their school. Kidding. Kind of.

Bottom line, if you're on the fence, jump.

Safe travels to you all...
on February 23, 2013
I originally started looking for a new carseat (to replace a Graco MyRide 65 that was going into Nana's car), I wanted to make sure that it would last for a long time. Since my rather large son was already forward-facing, I started looking at the seats that convert to boosters. Like many others, I was torn between the Graco Nautilus and the Britax Frontier 85. At the time, the price difference between the two was a lot bigger than it is today. Taking that into consideration along with the fact that they both get really good reviews, the fact that the only one I could view in person at a local store was the Nautilus, and the fact that we loved the MyRide 65, I decided to go with the Nautilus. As much as I wanted to love that seat, I couldn't. It was comfortable enough for my son, but it was a pain to get it installed tightly in my car. Plus, regardless of which recline position I used, he was super upright and his head would flop forward if he fell asleep. We also realized that the crotch strap was not going to leave him much, if any, room to grow.

But, we only had the Nautilus for a short time before we got rear-ended on a road trip. The accident wasn't major, but we decided to replace the Nautilus to be on the safe side. We had to buy the replacement on vacation, but there was a BBRU nearby. I knew that I didn't want a new Nautilus, so I looked at the Frontier and the Graco SmartSeat. I will say that the Frontier BBRU had on display must have been the older model because it was not like one I just ordered. The seat cover had virtually no cushion, it was super upright and uncomfortable looking, and the cupholders flipped out. I didn't like it and I didn't believe it would comfortable. The SmartSeat is very cushioned, it functions as a rear-facing (for future kids), front-facing, as well as a booster, and has a really cool recline feature that came in handy during our long car ride home at the end of vacation. But the SmartSeat is pricey and with all the things that I like about it, I just can't seem to love it. Which brings me (finally) to the Frontier 85.

We decided to replace the Safety 1st Complete Air 65 (which we loathe) that is in my husband's car. So, since the SmartSeat is rather large and makes it hard to get the kid in and out of my car, I moved that to my husband's car (more headroom). I started researching again and once more ended up looking at the Frontier 85. Everybody always raves about Britax, but I didn't want that to be the only reason I bought this seat. The reason I decided on this seat over all the others is the simple fact that my son is tall and my previous experience with Nautilus crotch strap made me realize he will need more room. I bought this because on paper, it will clearly last the longest. I was really concerned I would hate it and have to send it back. But truthfully, I really like it. It reclines enough in the seat that my son's head doesn't flop forward. The Cowmooflage is super soft and well padded. The carseat was a breeze to install with the LATCH system and it doesn't budge a centimeter in my car. Also, it is a lot lower than the SmartSeat so it is easier to get him in and out of the car. Best of all, my son seems super comfortable in it. All in all, I am glad I finally decided to buy this seat.
on July 4, 2012
We ended up buying two. These are quite large... for kids up to 85 pounds but can also fit in a smaller car. When my grand daughter out grew her infant seats we purchased one for my 2005 Chevy Suburban, it was great. My wife drives a 2006 Mini Cooper S coupe. We were worried about finding a larger child seat that would fit in the back seat of her car. I decided to try our new Britax Frontier 85 in the back of her Mini. I was shocked... It fit great. The base foot print actually being reasonably small for a large scale child seat. We ordered another for her Mini. The seat is very high quality. Britax has come up with a unique push button latch assembly that makes it easy to hook and unhook the seat from the metal anchors often buried deep behind the seat cushion. No more fumbling and frustration trying to get the child seat hooked or unhooked. Expensive but highly recommended
on November 25, 2012
We passed our Britax Boulevard down to our toddler and upgraded our preschooler to this. She loves it, and it certainly has the quality you expect from Britax. However, there is an issue with the anchors at the bottom (not the tether on top). On the other model, each anchor had its own tightening strap. On this model, they share a single strap. This prevents you form getting a rock-solid fit as I have come to expect form my other Britax. I'm not concerned enough to return it, but I would have looked for something else if I had been able to try this out in my car before buying.

Jan 2013 EDIT: dropped from 4 stars to 2 stars
After moving this between cars a lot I find the single-strap issue to be incredibly annoying. The shared strap is bad enough to start with, but the pull-system is oriented in the wrong direction so that the car seat itself interferes with the tightening process. As a result, you can't get a good angle on it to pull it tight and at times I doubt the safety of my installations.

March 2013 EDIT: dropped from 2 stars to 1
We got a new car with leather seats. This thing just won't get tight due to the shared strap design and it slides more noticeably on leather.
on June 11, 2013
The styrofoam cushioning in my son's old convertible car seat started disintegrating and since my son reached 30 lbs, I decided to find a five-point harness car seat/booster combo. After a lot of searching, I decided to go with the Britax Frontier 85 Combo Booster Car Seat. I found it on this site for a better price than in-store. I absolutely HATE getting my son out of this car seat. The belt-loosening button (between the child's legs) is buried so far under the outer car seat cover that I can never find it using the provided opening. I have to lift the cover so I can see where it is. It doesn't exactly make for a quick exit from the car.

The initial installation was also a pain.

For a company so well known for their car seats, I grade Britax with a D-. You have better options. I recommend you look elsewhere.
on January 5, 2014
The seat is sturdy and comfortable as is all of our previous Britax seats. I am disapointed only that the front fabric on the seat comes up easily, the prongs underneath that hold it in place are much too small to do a good job of it. That being said, I bough the Pinnacle a few months ago for grammas car to share with auntie and WOW that one is THE best as far as installation if you have to move the seat often and it gives you a hair more height in the harness so it may last a tad longer in that mode. But of course it is Britax as well so the comfort is similar. I'd say if you never have to move the seat and want to save a few bucks, then this one may be a teeny less expensive than that newer model and just as safe and comfortable. If you must move it often then the Pinnacle is more than worth the money with the new lock in mode it's tighter than any other seat I';ve ever used in under two minutes and you don't need two people nor do you have to get up on it to make it tight in there if you know what I mean.
on November 19, 2012
My daughter loves her "cow seat". She really likes the pattern and the fabric is soft and fluffy. This seat is in my husband's car- he likes that it is not pink.
The seat was very easy to install. The straps are easy to adjust and are of good quality. The seat is very sturdy. It offers just enough recline to allow my 2 year old to sleep in the seat.
The seat itself is quite wide. My little one swims in it. She is 40in and 29lb.
My daughter likes having cupholders and the arm rests are quite nice. Though they can be in the way when installing the seat.

Pros:
High harness limit.
Straps can be adjusted without retreading
Two cupholders
Easy for child to get in and out of
Not too heavy

Cons:
Very wide seat
Cover is not machine washable.
HUGS- we do not like those plastic things around the chest clip

This is a great seat and I higly recommend it.

Diono Radian RXT vs. Britax Frontier 85:
If you're like me your decision has probably come down to these two seats. My daughter rides in both seats. I have the Radian in my vehicle (2012 Focus hatchback). My husband has the Frontier in his vehicle (2009 Vibe). She is equally happy with both seats.
My husband and I are pleased with both seats. We have likes and dislikes for each. I'll try to give a good comparision.

Seat installation:
The Frontier wins here simply because it is lighter.
Both seats were super easy to install in either car. The bothe all install well in our 2005 Trailblazer on the odd occassion we use that car. I have never in stalled the Radian RF so I can not comment on that. We use th latch system on both seats. I have also used the belt paths when using in other people's cars. Belt path installation is also easy. The Radian is much heavier than the Frontier, making it more difficult to lift.

Seat Maitenance:
Here I feel the Radian wins.
The cover on the Radian is machine washable and is easily removed. The cover is one piece. The straps do have to be unthreaded to remove the cover. The cup holders can be put in the dishwasher.
The cover on the Frontier is supposed to be handwashed- not machine washable. Seriously... hand wash something my kid vomited on. Anyway, my washing machine has a handwash cycle so I used that. It turned out fine. Britax sells the cover for $80. The cup holders are intergrated into the seat so you have to wipe them out.

Seat adjustments:
It's a tie. Both seats have to be completely remove from the car to make adjustments.
The Radian has straps that need to be rethreaded to adjust. But, it's super easy. The crotch strap is easier to move than the Frontier. But, the head wings can be a pain. I have to put my knee in the seat and apply a lot of force to move them. But this means the stay in place once adjusted. When putting a kiddo in the seat the ratchet mechanism to tighten the straps can be annoying. My husband does not care for it.
The Frontier has a mechanism on the back that moves the straps and head rest up and dowm. But the adjuster is the piece I always seem to grab when picking up the seat causing the straps to move. I then have to wrangle my daughter to sit in it so I can adjust the straps again. Sort of annoying. Once she is in the seat adjustments are easy. But we didn't like the HUGS. They made her sweat under them so we took them off.

Seat size:
The Radian is much narrower than the Britax. This could make a big difference if you want to fit 3 across a back seat or have a tiny car. Otherwise It does not matter.

Travel:
I have only used the Radian for air travel. It is easier to bring into an airport, hands down. I wouldn't even consider air travel with the Frontier.

All in all, either seat is a good pick. It will just depend on your needs. I have found I really like them both.