Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 261 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 279 reviews
on January 21, 2015
This is the best single bud I have been able to find. That being said, with daily use, they will fail eventually; I probably go through a new one every six months. I have experimented and found a few tweaks that will prolong their lifespan - harvest a wire coil from inside of a pen (or elsewhere) and super glue it to the plug end (where the fabric casing meets the plastic), and add a drop of super glue at the earbud end where the fabric casing ends. These seem to be the two weakest spots and these modifications do help.
review image
33 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2014
I bought these initially because it was a monaural system. I frequently listen to music or books when I am walking the dog. I only use one of the earbuds on a two ear bud system because I need to hear what is going on around me. This item looked convenient because one of the earbuds wouldn't be tying itself into knots or catching on things and tearing itself out of my ear.

Much to my delight, the sound was better. While not in stereo, I did get the full range of sound in one ear, I didn't have the loose earbud to contend with and I was happy. Then I realized that this is a cloth or braid covered cord which does not twist and knot. And finally, I have small ear canals and usually can't find buds to fit. Using the size small ear piece, the bud fits neatly and snugly inside my ear. So I have safety (using only one earbud), no knots, comfort (these work for small ears), good monaural sound, and a decent price.
on September 4, 2013
Although I like the fabric covered cord and the sound is very good, the connector developed some sort of short after only a week of use. Sound is now intermittent and has to be in the "perfect" position to hear.

After this review, Far End Gear called me today and they're shipping me another bud free. Apparently there is a 1 year warranty, and FEG is paying attention to their reviews. I upped the review a couple of stars because they were very nice and are working to make the problem right. Good customer service!
on September 3, 2013
I have single sided deafness and I love music. This thing works great. I have tried many other in the ear - sound isolaion buds, however this works the best or me. I use this to listen to music while at the gym and to watch movies at home.
on July 9, 2013
With only one "working" ear, have missed out on 1/2 the sound when using regular ear buds. This product is a God send.
on March 1, 2017
Preface: I'm not an audiophile so I cannot comment on how this headphone stimulates your auditory synapse as it jingles your auditory ossicles as it powers through the soundscapes of your favorite frequencies!

As an average music enthusiast/musician who also happens to have lost my hearing in my left ear as a result of an acoustic neuroma, I definitely miss the full stereo aural experience that the average person can enjoy. For people with Single Sided Deafness, there are very few headphone options that combine left and right channels and most of the options that do exist provide an aural experience on par with a free pair of airline headphones that you found in the early spring snowmelt of the airport parking lot. Apparently, combining left and right channels is more of an art than a matter of simply splicing two circuits, as anyone who's tried the stereo-to-mono mini jacks can attest. This headphone is hands down the best mono earbud headphone I've tried, to date. In fact, this is my second one despite the first one failing from a broken wire at the strain relief of the jack. This seems to be a common issue with this particular headphone so I headed another reviewer's advice and bolstered the strain relief with a spring from a cheap retractable pen. This seems to be working well but keep in mind, this wire is very fragile so care should still be taken to make sure you don't break the internal wire somewhere else along the length.

Sound quality (for an earbud): A+
Materials quality: B-

Overall, I'm satisfied
review image
Perfect! I do not like bilateral ear buds when working or gardening .........or whatever. Mostly I listen to audiobooks anyway so one ear is more than enough for this purpose. This item channels both left and right stereo into one ear bud so it can be used for music as well. I have several uni-bud ear phones and they work out perfectly for me. This one has a nice solid braided cord so it wraps up well and is not at all flimsy. It is perfect for working at a desk or anytime when one does not want to disturb others with his or her listening devise. Even better, if you are like me and want to keep one ear free for ambient sounds. When gardening, I do find a shorter cord to use with my Sandisc is preferable. The Sandisc is a clip on which means it can clip onto your collar or shirt pocket where a short cord to reach your ear is the way to go. For other purposes and devises, a longer cord is in order and this item is a great choice. For me, anyway, having one ear free is the way to go. I don't like that "boxed in" feeling of having both ears tied up with ear buds. This way is more like listening to ambient sounds from e.g. a radio in the room versus feeling "closed in" with bilateral ear buds. Give it a try - for books and lectures, at least, it is absolutely the way to go.
on September 21, 2014
I'm very pleased with this earbud. It's well-built and doesn't feel flimsy or heavy, and I'm particularly pleased with the fabric-wrapped cable. It's surprising how hard it is to find a monaural option for a single earbud, so I was very pleased to find this one.

The cord is of sufficient length for me to wear it in my ear and have the connected device in a pocket, and the symmetrical design of the earbud itself means that it's equally comfortable in either ear. I can lay down on my side with this in one ear and still enjoy both channels of a stereo feed (great for listening to music/podcasts or watching TV in bed). I also have the option of keeping one ear open in case I need to be vigilant for other sounds while still listening to audio -- for example, on an airplane, while waiting for a phone call, or in any other situation where I want private audio but also want to be somewhat vigilant for other things.

As for the audio quality? I'm no audiophile. I really just want to be able to hear what's going on, or to be able to hear the music. That said, I listened to some music this afternoon, and it sounded just fine by my standards. Both channels came through in a balanced way, and the sound was crisp and clear. You're not going to get booming bass, because it's an earbud, but you will get the full spectrum of sound in both channels, all through one earbud.

In terms of comfort? Well, if you have difficulty with earbuds in general -- and earbuds with the rubber stoppers on the end in particular -- you'll probably find this one to be uncomfortable. I prefer this style of earbud, and I don't generally have issues with earbuds. It's a pretty standard design and size, and it comes with three different sizes of silicone caps. If you try it and don't like the fit, try switching it out. I learned some time ago that even though I'm a big guy with relatively large ears, I prefer the smallest size. I wouldn't trust it to stay in during vigorous exercise, but for sitting around and listening, it's more than secure enough.
on July 21, 2017
I'm a big fan of this earbud and have bought several over the years, going back to when they were 'One Good Earbud' before Far End Gear purchased them (or whatever). However, it's the "have bought several over the years" as to why I can't give a 5-star rating.
I love that I can get stereo audio in one earbud, leaving my other ear open to hear what's going on around me. But these typically only last 6 months to a year, so expect to replace them regularly. In the past, the wire sheathing would wear thin at the jack and/or earbud, as pointed out by other reviewers. I've found that the fabric wrapped cord seems to be much more durable than the rubberized sheathing of the past. But the other common failure is one of the audio channels giving out, so you only hear the left or right channel instead of a stereo mix.
I'm about to buy yet another earbud to replace my current one, which has experienced a failure in the right channel, as well as the meshing over the earbud opening having fallen off. Maybe this time I'll spend the extra few bucks on the protection plan so I can get some free replacements for the next few years instead of having to spend full price on a new earbud when this new one ultimately fails.
Second one of these I bought. I still have the first, but after a couple of years of riding around in my shirt pocket and getting plugged and unplugged several times per week, it developed a bit of a short in the plug. Very worth it to get another though.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.