Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 69 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 106 reviews
on June 16, 2013
Sometimes unusual is good and even outstanding. Often unusual means different. Unusual in "The Bro-Magnet" mostly means different. The author attempts to narrate the story from the guys`s point of view. Much of the time I find the attempts interesting but in the week I read this book I found the male self-reflections boring or redundant. Perhaps the drama in my life that week was overshadowing the drama of the written word. I read for 1 or two reasons: escapism/entertainmet and/or education/training; to learn something. This past week I was unable to escape into my reading. I found me getting bored. Overuse of the shock phrase "You killed my sister" elicited silent screams of frustration. The first time was most effective and still fit the second time; after wards I stopped paying attention! The storyline was interesting but failed to live up to my expectation.
on July 4, 2016
Loved the witty self analysis of the main character. Enjoyed the pace because it moved right along. The sports references were not troublesome to the, "non-sports fan." (Me) Basically, it was well written, and from the male perspective, which made it a refreshing read!
on December 9, 2012
I'll admit, it took me a little while to get into the book at first. The book was slow going at the start, and I almost considered not finishing it. But there was something about the main character, Johnny, that made me want to keep reading. I loved how all guys loved him but women just didn't get him,at least not until he met the right one. It was an interesting take on a common theme.
on July 1, 2012
I loved this book!

Why?

For one thing, it was unexpected. I'm sure there are be other romances written 100% in male first person POV, but I can't think of any others I've read off the top of my head. On top of that, it was well-written and HI-LARIOUS! I love that we don't meet Helen (at all) until (debatably) Chapter 5. I love Sam. I love the tux and the opera. I'm head-over-heels in love with Johnny, the painter-coulda-been-lawyer.

The only thing I didn't quite love - I could see the predictable ending coming from way to far off.

This book reads like chick-lit, but since it is in male POV can we really call it chick-lit? What is it? D**k-lit?

Whatever it is, I'll be reading anything else I can get my hands on by Luaren Baratz-Logsted.

Seriously. Loved. It.
on October 8, 2012
I think this one hits it right on the head. It is the portrait of a lot of the men walking around out there. They are these big overgrown boys, who really want to be the kind of men women love and get, but tend to be unable to make the transition.

I laughed a lot in this one and that makes this one absolutely charming and John/Johnny a completely charming, clueless male who stumbles his way into a rather clever relationship. CUDOS TO THE AUTHOR, she did an excellent job with this material.

I kept forgetting that it wasn't being told by male from a male point of view. It was really something and it kind of sneeks up on you.

Love it. Think you might too.
on September 17, 2013
In this masculine version of Bridget Jones Diary, the main character, Johnny Smith, is a guy's guy who has no idea what to do to get a gal. His whole life he seems to have some known kind of magnetic force that repelled them until he meets Helen Troy (wince at the lack of subtlety) who seems to want him, but in his quest to win her heart he has to give up the Mets for barn opera(you'll have to read it to figure that one out). The main problem really seems to be that he just basically does whatever ANYONE tells him,which in my experience is not the way someone becomes a bro-magnet, but a doormat. Still a funny story and worth a read.
on July 24, 2012
Johnny isn't taken seriously by women and ends up hanging out with the guys. He decides to change that after meeting a lady lawyer that he wants to impress. He is dismayed when his former girlfriend, now his best friend's wife, tells him all the things he needs to change to get a girl. Even his neighbor, a lesbian, chimes in with advice.
He gets a complete wardrobe makeover and his home changed from a guy's comfort zone into one that will impress the lady. As the story progresses, the reader starts to root for the romance between this house painter and the lawyer to work out. It becomes obvious as the story unfolds that each is hiding something from the other. It isn't until they show their real selves that the romance progresses.
on May 19, 2012
This rates high on my list of inexpensive books on Kindle. I am not a big fan of romance fiction, but this was written from an unusual viewpoint - the male! And Johnny is Mr. Nice Guy - all the other guys love him, envy him, and want to be his best friend, if not be HIM. But he can't sustain a relationship with a woman, starting from his mother dying during his birth, to being the first guy in junior high to snap a bra strap, to being best man at all of his friends' weddings. And his BFF is a lesbian! Then he meets THE GIRL and transforms himself into who he thinks is the right guy for her. The laughs go on and on. And, of course, being a romance, it has to have a happy ending. I enjoyed it greatly and will read more from this author.
on March 14, 2014
Overall it is an enjoyable tale. It was a bit slow in the beginning for me, but that may be due to my normal dislike of first person point of view books. Once I picked it back up, I finished it in one sitting. Some of the story was a bit predictable, but I feel like that actually added to the enjoyment by giving the reader a feeling of knowing something that the "storyteller"didn't.

I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a lighthearted and fun read.
on June 1, 2012
The Bro-Magnet is the first book I've read by multi-published author Lauren Baratz-Logsted but it won't be my last. She had me from Page One and held my attention to the very end. Her breezy style of writing tongue-in-cheek pop culture never wavered, with every word serving its purpose to move the story forward and never allowing me to get bored. I felt an immediate empathy with the main character Johnny and his self-depracating manner, also the supporting cast of off-beat characters who held their own with him. I highly recommend The Bro-Magnet.