Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,594 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,756 reviews
on August 9, 2013
I find myself eschewing American TV lately for these absorbingly realistic British series. The people in this show quickly seem real and transport you effortlessly into being part of their fictional world. In Broadchurch, the seaside town is a seemingly caring, close-knit small community. Their warmth and connection to one another is heartening, and immediately puts the viewer on notice that the murder of one the village's children will affect all who live there. The newcomer is the new DI Alec Hardy, who has taken the spot from his new assistant Ellie Miller while she was on vacation. References to a dark past make you wonder about his brusque, almost-pompous attitude, and heightens the tension between him and the close-knit police force & neighborhood he has dropped into at the start of investigating the worst crime the town has supposedly seen, the murder of an 11-year-old boy.

I enjoy how normal and non-stereotyped the British actors in this police show are, and the dialogue rings true and succinct. Also, not having visited, the scenes of this British beach town are a delight to see. I look forward to continuing to watch the investigation unfold as well as learning the deeper emotional lives of this multi-faceted program. Why can't American producers use real-looking characters instead of showing us stories populated with character "types" and starring "beautiful" people of normal sizes and shapes?
3434 comments| 373 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2015
I only came across Broadchurch recently, some two years after many of the reviews here. I have watched a number of British mysteries, and continue to be impressed with the quality of the scripts and acting. But Broadchurch is different from the usual mystery/police procedural. Over the eight episodes it takes to solve the murder of an 11-year old boy you have the opportunity to learn about the people of Broadchurch, how they interact with each other, the "backstories" (not always pleasant) of some, and the way the murder opens wounds in a seemingly idyllic small seashore community. Much more than a murder mystery that will keep you guessing, this series is a psychological and sociological drama in which there is much suffering, but redemption too.
The acting is superb; it doesn't seem like acting, it is so well-done. This series won't insult your intelligence, but it will tug at your heart.
on January 10, 2015
Typically I don't go in much for police dramas as I am much more of a fantasy person, but I became a huge fan of David Tennant after watching Doctor Who and love most British television, so I figured I would give this a go. I was not disappointed and ended up watching the whole season in one night! The actors, especially Tennant, are fantastic, it is wonderfully scripted, and the cinematography is brilliant. A must if you like Sherlock (the only other police type drama I watch, which is also amazing), you will love this. The characters are relatable and the plot continually develops with no "fluff" episodes to drag the pacing down. After watching shows like Sherlock, Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, Top Gear, and now Broadchurch, I never ceased to be impressed by the quality of British TV over American TV. I highly recommend this show, whether or not it is your typical genre of television. I have seen the premiere of season 2 and it looks like it will only get better, which is saying something, since it is already a fantastic show!
on September 12, 2013
British TV has figured out how to present an engrossing series without grisly scenes of violence and sex. Not that both are not part of the storyline in Broadchurch, but rather it underlines the tension of the characters and its story. What you see is actors who know their craft and how to tell a story that is compelling and relevant. I grow tired of our American TV series that leaves nothing to the imagination and insults the intelligence of the viewer.
Amazon offered the first episode for free and after watching it - I immediately bought the series. David Tennant and Olivia Colman are brilliant as police inspectors trying to find the killer of an 11 year old boy who lived in a small English coastal town. Their character's lives intertwine into the storyline. It is TV at its best.
"Broadchurch" Season One opens with the death of a small boy at a quiet beach town in England. The discovery of the body sends shockwaves through the family of the boy and the town itself. The investigation is assigned to newly arrived DI Alec Hardy, assisted by DS Ellie Miller, a disappointed applicant for Hardy's job and a long-time resident of the town. The investigation begins, as the show adroitly reveals a town of secrets and a field of suspects...

This British procedural succeeds on patient storytelling, not flash and bang. It won't be hurried in giving up the secrets of the death of a small boy. Viewers are invited to follow the suspenseful investigation at the shoulders of the detectives. Horribly addictive and highly recommended.
on November 19, 2014
An unusually well-scripted drama that not only engages you in the "who done it" aspect of the mystery, but more importantly leaves the viewer totally engaged with the characters and the village of Broadchurch. The characters are realistic and recognizable with their flaws, secrets, and sorrows, especially the mother of the murdered child. Most of the actors are excellent! Most importantly for me, this is the only show or movie I have ever seen that does a very good job of accurately portraying some of the heartbreaking grief that bereaved parents experience upon the death of a child. As a bereaved parent myself, this was a refreshing departure from gratuitous, surface level "grief" that is usually portrayed. Despite the gut wrenching nature of the murder in this show, the series leaves us with hope as opposed to despair. I can't recommend this series highly enough. It is intelligent and very human, from start to finish.
on April 23, 2016
I've already reviewed Season 2 with five stars, but this one would get even more, if that were possible. I've already said that all the actors gave superb perfomances, and that Olivia Coleman's performance is phenomenal and layered. The situation is devastating and complex, set against a hauntingly beautiful setting. Frankly, I don't think I can communicate just how good this show really is. If it's not a Greek tragedy (and it might be!), it's a desert-island-disk, for sure. Don't miss it!
on November 10, 2015
many reviewers provided very detail description of the show so I will not repeat them here. Though not a horror story, there were plenty of horrible things going on, against a hauntingly beautiful landscape. Great acting, great story, ending was totally unexpected (if you don't want to know the ending, don't read some of the detail reviews} - loads "normal" happy people in a cute little town, then all the dark secrets ,,what lurks in the heart of men and all that... Kept me glue to my tv for three nights in a row, 2 pints of ice cream, and no regrets
on June 8, 2015
Will you like Broadchurch? An engrossing tense murder mystery in a small beach side town in England, Broadchurch can be recommended to ANYONE who enjoys a good mystery and character development.
I loved this series, and my favorite TV series include The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and House of Cards. This series kept me guessing until the last episode and the characters were fantastic and relatable, all the ingredients one would look for in a series

I highly recommend
on May 14, 2014
I first read a glowing reference to Broadchurch in the New Yorker, had no idea what it was. I tuned in to BBC America, watched the first episode without recording .- which I regretted because I ended up becoming totally sucked into this show, Usually it's the plot of the mystery that grabs you, but here it's the characters - brilliantly written and flawlessly acted by some of the best actors in England (and beyond). Olivia Coleman is not the same Olivia we're used to (at least in America); the usually gorgeous, dashing David Tennant (the last "Dr. Who") becomes a worn-out, beat up, middle aged cop, totally defeated by a screwed-up life. (You feel sorry for him and you'd probably like to buy him a beer, but you wouldn't think of going out with him.) These characters become people you feel you really know, the dialogue is that believable, the acting is that good - in fact SO good, you can look into the actors' eyes and know what they're thinking or what they're going to say next, something you can only do with real people in real life. I taped the rest; it took several DVDs, one got damaged, I never got the first episode so I just caved in and bought it - never regretted it. A Season 2 is coming up, presumably about the same people with a different murder? Who knows - but I'll certainly be there!