Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Brokedown Palace
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 14, 2014
It had been a while since I read Steven, and it took a while to get back into his writing style.

However, his dry humor and understated narrative works for me, as long as I work to follow it.

I found Brokedown Palace to be rather dark and a little less funny that some of his other work. I am also still confused about Brigitta. Possibly because I took about a two month break right in the middle of reading.

That being said, I still very much enjoyed this story. I loved the interactions between the brothers and the complex relationship they shared. The way they each evolved as the story progressed. I especially loved Vilmos and his dedication to his Norska.

I loved that the conflict seemingly revolved around the condition of the palace, but there was really so much more at stake and at risk.

The other characters (Brigitta, Mariska, Sandor, Viktor, Bolk) were at times mystifying, but definitely added depth to the story. I had to learn that I didn't have to understand what was going on when some of these characters said things. I just had to trust that I would understand in the long run.

I find that Steven Brust is by no means an easy read, but I for one think it is worth the work to read - and enjoy!
on September 25, 2016
Brust has played around with a number of writing styles (or techniques), even within books set within the same world as Brokedown Palace. Here, the style leans more towards the fairy tale, and has those tales woven throughout, but Brust’s humor and clean writing continue to shine through.
on November 22, 2015
The book is fast-paced and entertaining. It will make more sense to fans of Vlad Taltos and the Grateful Dead, but the book works well on its own merits if you don't get all the references.
on July 11, 2015
I love this story. It reads like half old legend and half modern story. It is lyrical and fascinating in a way I have seen in no other book save perhaps in another work of Brust's called The Gypsy.
on February 26, 2017
Imaginative and unique fantasy, like everything by Steven Brust.
on December 20, 2016
excellent
on June 1, 2016
Very good product from a great seller.
on December 19, 2012
I got the book a long time ago and I loved it. As a person of Hungarian ancestry it was great to find a book with us in mind. Steven Brust is a great writer.
on May 4, 2013
I liked the writing style of the story, but it took a bit of reading to get into the world it inhabited. The feeling of the tale was a bit like life, not just as you expect things to happen.
on January 6, 2009
i have been a Fan of Mr. Brust's work for quite some time now, and i have read all the Dragaeran novels.
however, this book is notably different, it looks like a first book (although it is not), it does not involve any of the charachters of the other novels, it does happen in the same world, but it could also be hapenning in a totally different place, as almost nothing of the unique Dragaeran universe is used.
aside from all that the plot is quite weak, and quite slow.

all in all, i would not recomend it..