Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 53 reviews
on February 1, 2015
This first book of the series was a fast and interesting read. I thought that it was written well, had a good plot, and the characters were appealing. It has the potential to become a worthwhile YA series because of the unlimited possibilities of the hidden Fae world brought to life in this first book.

Although it has a satisfying ending, there is surely more to the story. It didn't rely on a sneaky cliff hanger, though, which is appreciated. No graphic sex, no strong language, which makes it a good YA choice. As an adult, I didn't find it quite as engrossing, but it did keep me reading through to the end because I found the plot twists to be intriguing. I'm not sure if I'd read the next book, but I did kind of enjoy this one.
on April 11, 2012
Broken (A Paranormal Romance)

Whoa! Awesome reader's hook! I knew from the blurb I was going to like this book, and the opening lines just cemented that intent. That reader's hook is just the beginning, though, and very shortly the initial intrigue is followed by some even more intense shockers. Soon, the mysteries deepen and pile atop each other, and just as one clue is extended, more tentacles of concealment shift in the shadows. I liked the author's approach in this, of entangling several different skeins of possibility and probability, both as reasons for Katherine's background, and as issues with which she absolutely MUST deal for the future-if she is to have a future at all, that is!

Fast-paced and intriguing, intricately plotted, with good characterisations-and a subtle, delicate hand at interweaving the paranormal, supernatural, and just plain mystifying, "Broken" is a joy to read and most readers will probably want to race through it in one sitting-or if not, will spend the intervening time away pondering its intrigues!
on July 16, 2011
I really liked the basic storyline for this book. But that's really about it.

I don't know if this was something overlooked by the author in editing or if it was intentional, but there were some contradictions in the story. For instance, Katherine figures out who she is, then for some unexplainable reason believes she's wrong (and others seem to agree with her), then realizes her belief that she was wrong was actually what was wrong. Sound confusing? That's because it was.

But the main reason this wasn't a great book was that the writing itself is immature. The narrator kept insisting some things were true (like how heartbroken she was by her first love), but she wasn't convincing. Saying the words, "I was heartbroken," over and over doesn't mean you're actually heartbroken.

This book had a lot of promise, and I guess it would be a decent beach read. I was just disappointed with it.
on June 12, 2011
3 days before her 24th birthday, Katherine receives a letter from her mother telling her of a family curse in which the first born Gregory child is destined to die within their 25th year. With a key to a locked box and new knowledge her mother has secured for her, Katherine must find a way to stop this curse from happening... or else she will be doomed to die like her ancestors. This family secret takes her to the UK where she must not only find a way to end this curse, but also decide between her new love and her former beau, whom was love lost and never forgotten.

I found this book to be absolutely enchanting. I picked it up and didn't want to put it down, reading for nearly 8 hours straight. I enjoyed the mix between fantasy and reality, where I cared for not only Katherine but her friends along the journey as well. David H. Burton tells a tale that brings adults back into the fantasy world we so often forget when we grow up, and keeps you guessing to the very end. Why is their family cursed and will Katherine be able to put an end to it ... or will she just be another victim? That is for you to purchase this book and find out! I highly recommend you do!
on July 31, 2012
I absolutely can't wait for "Bitten". This book was so interesting. Okay, I know that is vague. So let's start with characters. Katherine is torn between a current love interest and finding the love of her life (at 16) but neither is what they seem. This is one of those books that you want to read in one sitting but then you don't because it will be over. The ending was so unexpected. It was perfect. When I finished, I was hoping there would be more; sequel, prequel, I wasn't being picky. Seriously, what would you do if you found out you could die any day after your 24th birthday and not live to 25? I'm also glad that the "romantic (read:sex) portion" was only a few pages. I get that author put that in the story but it only slowed down the pace for me. Otherwise, the pace was good, there were no extraneous details. What was in the story was for the story. Great read.
on July 5, 2013
This book happened to be free one day, so I took a chance and got it. I like romance and fantasy stuff, so this seemed a great fit. And just so you know, this is a great Mystery as well.
After reading this book, paying for it would have been worth it. Takes you on a great ride. You keep reading cause you are just as curious as the main character, Katherine. And when the story was over...it left that, wishing I could just keep going, feeling.
I gave 4 out of 5 because there are some stories that I just like better, it's more of a personal score. But this is well worth the read (great way to spend a weekend, or day).
on April 11, 2013
This novel held my attention to the end. Once having finished it, I quickly forgot the details and had to thumb around to reorient myself for this review.

Although the title seems to refer to the protagonist appearing to be psychologically broken because she see things, one also might interpret it to mean that Katherine has broken the family curse of death on her 24th birthday.

As others have noted, Brokk, the humunculus is a loveable character in much the same way that Dobbie captures hearts in the Harry Potter books.

A lot happens in the last pages, resolving the threads of a complicated plot.

I do not regret reading this book; it was a pleasant enough. Probably will not read sequels.
on March 11, 2013
The book was ok. A little slow to start. Then it got more interesting and drew me in. But as the climax neared it seemed a little rushed and got confusing at the end. It seemed the author was in a rush to tie up all the loose ends.
on March 2, 2012
This book was really original and action packed. I didn't want to put it down. There were so many twists and unexpected turns. You didn't know who to trust--who was good, who was bad. The ending threw me for a loop, I actually thought I had it figured out. Boo on me!! Hopefully book two give us a little more background of what actually happened because the Winter Queen's explanation was not enough for me. I want to know more about Jonathan. I can't wait to read book two to see where Katherine's journey takes her. I have a feeling that we haven't heard the last of Jonathan or Morgana.
on May 15, 2014
This was a really enjoyable adult fantasy read which could have ended there. I was happy to see there was a sequel listed at the end of the book called Bitter to be release in 2012. Unfortunately I don't think it's ever been released. Sad but I still highly recommend Broken.