Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 26, 2011
I was looking for some inexpensive Wii games and found this one on Amazon. I had never heard of the original game, but after reading the description and the reviews, I was excited to find a new (to me) game of the same style and era as Monkey Island and Loom (two of my all-time favorite games).

Story: 4/5. It is a modern-day murder conspiracy that involves the Knights Templar and the Assassins. It requires finding clues and deciphering puzzles that are several centuries old. I guess that description along with the title make it sound like "The Da Vinci Code meets Assassin's Creed," but no. Thank goodness it is very different.

Characters: 3/5. One thing that I think is essential to a good video game is that the protagonist(s) is/are likable. My main gripe about the characters is that around 3 hours into the game, one of the main characters, George Stobbart, was really getting on my nerves. VG characters can be cheesy and still be likable, but the voice acting was over-done and I think the game would have been more enjoyable without it.

Graphics: 3/5. The graphics were...interesting. Knowing that the game is mostly a port from the original version, I wasn't buying the game for the graphics. What made them a little weird was that you could tell that certain things were touched up or added to this version and other things were not. I don't think the graphics make or break the game, but the inconsistency was a little distracting.

Gameplay: 2/5. I like this style of game. It's nice every now and then to play a game that is more about problem solving and telling a story than boss battles and repetitious action. Unlike most games like this that I have played, it has a hint system, so if you are stuck, you can get some help. There are usually 3 or 4 hints per puzzle/objective, increasing from subtle to blatantly explaining what you have to do. Along with time spent playing, it keeps track of the number of hints that you have read. While cursor precision may not have been a problem when using a mouse for the original version, keeping aim and combing the screen for targets with a Wiimote is a little more difficult. What was aggravating was that I had the right idea on several occasions but after they didn't work, I reluctantly looked at a hint that only reaffirmed that I was correct. If I knew these things up front, I probably wouldn't be complaining about them:
- In many cases, you have to use an item that you possess on another object on the screen. For me, this often took more than one try. Sometimes, the area that you act on is so small that pressing the button on the controller may move the cursor enough to miss your target. That means bringing up your item screen again, picking the item, and trying to click on your target again. I actually had to move closer to the screen than normal to avoid that from happening.
- One item may have multiple target areas that are indistinguishable from one another. The screen may have something like a statue. You can hover your cursor over the entire statue and it looks like one continuous target. However, inspecting/acting on one part of the statue may have different results than another part.
- The object may be a target but the target area is only a small portion of the object. For example, if there is a pile of coal, the target for that pile of coal may only cover 25% of it.
- There are a few puzzles in the game that are analogous to cracking combination locks and require you to press and hold a button on the controller as you twist it clockwise or counterclockwise. The game will hint to you when to stop turning by making a certain sound and making the controller vibrate. So the idea is to turn slowly. Well, the control has the "ice dispenser" effect. You twist it slightly and it either doesn't move or it starts to move and stops. You twist it a little bit further and the object on the screen spins way too much. If you turn too far, that means starting all over again.

Value: 4/5. This game took me about 10 hours to finish. For what I paid (under $10), I consider it a good value.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on December 25, 2014
I got to the a room on the second level and that was the end of the game for me, because it was impossible to turn the combination dial with a wii remote. I must have tried for around an hour. Total rip off
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on December 7, 2011
OK, so if you are a fan of the modern 3d looks, swordfights, actions and nerve-wrecking controller-button-combos, this game is not for you.
But if you are like me, and prefer oldschool text-only adventure games, adventure games, where time is not sensitive and you can go any time to have a cup of tea, where you can try all options out without the risk of having to die and restart the game for the hundredth time, go ahead. And if you like the kind of games where you need to "give the raven a ring, and then he will give you a torch, with which you will be able to find the squirrel's nest..." etc etc, this one is for you. Seriously. The graphics is pretty good, surely not like the flashiest brand new action games, more like a peek in the past, but who cares as long as I dont have to swordfight with aliens.

What I like:
many many characters to interact with
pretty good story line
funny conversations
lots of extra puzzles, where you may need to use your brain too - not overly difficult though
lots of scenes to explore
fun story
no need for fighting or quick, time-sensitive actions (there are a few scenes where quick action is needed, but it is all easily doable - even for me, who is miserable in Zelda / SuperMario galaxy)

What made me giggle:
well, ok, the fake accents are sometimes over the top
and the conversations can be way too cheesy
and sometimes characters speak way too much

But overall a good adveture game, and gives you a good 30-40+ hours of enjoyment without having to master pushing the controller buttons in the right time/way
on July 13, 2016
This was a very enjoyable game. There were times when I got frustrated and stuck, but who wants a game that is too easy. The embedded hints in the game were usually enough to get me past the hard parts. This game requires you to solve puzzles using your brain and intuition.
on March 25, 2015
The part of the game I got to play was fun but, disappointingly, I had to return it because it kept freezing at a certain point during game play. The disc was new and did not appear to be damaged so I don't know what caused the problem.
on February 23, 2010
I spent HOURS playing this game the first day I got it, and confess that, even though I'm finished playing it and pretty much can't do it again, it was a LOT of fun! Even though there aren't as many puzzles as one would want, there were always options to do or say different things, and get some weird comments in return. Or trying to figure out what to do before the hint icon started dancing around like a Mexican Jumping Bean.

How do I find more games in this vein?
2 helpful votes
on April 30, 2013
and challenging. it takes patience and you need to listen to what the character's say to help get clues. the puzzles can be frustrating but with a little patience they can be overcome. I find it to be a fun game that I enjoy playing. my first game of this type and I am glad I got it.
on December 27, 2014
It started out fine, but locked up on the first actual puzzle! Cant get is passed that! my pointer wont even get on the puzzle blocks to solve it!
on April 7, 2012
Loved this when I was young on the PC (Circle of Blood) and was happily surprised to see the game again, with so much new to it. Great for all ages, logic, puzzles, and learning, plus tons of fun and a backstory. Awesome to see it again!
2 helpful votes
on May 12, 2014
a friend told me this is a game she played on another game system and she was happy that they made it for wii and that it has a lot of replay value that's good
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question