From the foreword to Broken Trust...Like radiation leaking from a broken reactor, toxic faith can damage you without a lot of fuss.This book is a Geiger counter designed to beep loudly in toxic environments...
Since leaving my cult and graduating from seminary, I have read over 100 books related to toxic faith, toxic churches, spiritual abuse, and cults. Many of them were like wheat crusts: dense, nutritious, but hard to chew. When I started a blog designed to educate survivors of spiritual abuse, I tried to simplify what I'd read and turn it into bite-size pieces that were easier to swallow. I realized that most survivors of toxic faith didn't need scientific papers or Ph.D.-level manuals: they needed simple truth packaged with much grace and plenty of practical application. At least, that's what I needed.
For the past seven years I have looked for a book that combined all of these qualities into a comprehensive treatment of toxic faith and recovery from spiritual abuse. F. Remy Diederich has finally written that book.
Remy's chapters are short, clear, and filled with practical advice on how to evaluate the health of your faith and your faith community. If you are in a toxic setting, Remy gives clear instructions on how to exit it and how to begin your healing journey.
My hope is that Broken Trust receives the wide readership it deserves and becomes a tool of grace to shatter the chains of toxic faith and bring liberty to captives.
Stephen Smith, libertyforcaptives.com
- "Broken Trust" equips us to leave toxicity and abuse behind for good, and replace them with healthy church leadership that's restorative, gentle, humble and loving! Deeply grounded in God's grace and truth, "Broken Trust" also draws on Remy's wealth of knowledge and understanding of shame, anger, and forgiveness in producing the best book I've ever read on toxic faith and spiritual abuse! While those who have been wounded in this way will want to--and need to--read this book, it's also an absolute MUST READ for all pastors, spiritual leaders, and prospective church leaders! Mark Halvorsen, Radio broadcaster and Co-founder/missionary of Teamwork Africa.
- "Broken Trust" is a much-needed book. I can only pray that Remy's graceful and gentle approach to victims and churches will get through. So many churches do not know how to handle abuse. This book is a cup of cold water in the desert! Remy "hears" the stories of victims, legitimizes what happened to them, and goes to the root of the problem. Liz Tinnea, ourunseenhope.com
- It is unusual for pastors to speak out with compassion on the subject of spiritual abuse. More often than not, church leaders and members prefer to defend their own denomination fiercely, unable to hear the cries of those who have been wounded by it. This book will be an invaluable tool to enable congregation members and those in authority to understand the reality of toxic groups and cults and reach out in love to their victims. Emily Walker de Villasenor, faithafterdeception.wordpress.com
- F. Remy Diederichís latest book, Broken Trust, identifies what spiritual abuse looks like and brings hope and healing for the spiritually damaged. As a victim of a toxic church, this book touched me personally and gave me hope in my Savior that He can heal the wounds caused by church leaders ñ itís just going to take time. Jim Brangenberg, Radio Talk Show Host iWork4Him
- Spiritual abuse and Toxic church is a complex maze, fraught with danger. Broken Trust offers a safe passage for those lost on the journey. It is a welcome addition to the increasing debate on Spiritual Abuse and sound resource for both survivors and therapists. Remyísí gift of writing is in his clarity and connection with the reader founded on sound biblical principles and personal healing. Bill Huxley- Counselor, Psychotherapist and Survivor.
About the Author
F. Remy Diederich is an author of six books helping people to overcome life's hurts with God's help. He is also a pastor and spirituality consultant for an addiction treatment center.