|Print List Price:||$7.99|
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Price set by seller.
The Bronze Bow Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 261 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $2.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
|Age Level: 10 - 12|
|Grade Level: 5 - 7|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
The story concerns Daniel, a young Jew at the time of Christ. He has an intense hatred of the Romans and lives with in an outlaw band in the hills. When his grandmother dies, he must move to the village to take care of his sister while trying to continue his life's mission of driving the Romans back to Rome. He is drawn to the miracle worker, but just doesn't know what he truly thinks about him. Is he the Messiah sent to free them from the Romans? And will his sister ever recover?
Ms. Speare was able to create a complex plot that is simple enough for her target age to understand, but still captivating to adults. I got so caught up in the events when I was rereading that I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend this children's novel to readers of all ages.
The story is told in the time of Jesus in a village near where Jesus teaches those who come to hear him. Daniel, a young outcast, is sworn to fight the Romans with the goal of throwing them out of the land altogether. There are many other young men who want to do the same thing, but they need a leader. What they do, how they prepare, their speculation whether the new teacher Jesus may be that leader, and most of all, Daniel's struggles between his oath and what Jesus has said to him, are the story.
This is not a religious book, though its end point is the second great commandment Jesus gave (Matthew 22:39). It is a book about life in the time, the unrest and resistance of many Jews to Roman rule, the confusion of many Jews looking for a military messiah trying to decide if Jesus could be that man. But more than that, it is like any other moral tale of any other time, a story of a man trying to decide what is the right thing for him to do.
It is not simplistic, I'm 57 and I read it entirely, but neither is it difficult reading. I strongly recommend it for anyone from 9 years on.
In The Bronze Bow, Daniel, a Jewish boy, despises Roman rule. After Daniel witnesses his father's crucifixion and watches his mother die of a broken heart, he retreats to the mountains. There he joins a notorious gang that robs people to gain money for armor and weaponry to free Israel. Daniel meets up with some old friends and they recruit a small group of boys who, with Daniel, hope to avenge his parent's deaths and rid the Holy Land of Romans. But then Daniel faces the hardest decision of his life: should he love and forgive the Romans or hate them?
The character development in The Bronze Bow is tremendous. Two of my favorite characters are Daniel and Joel. Daniel is an eighteen-year-old Jewish boy seeking revenge. He is hateful yet finds himself questioning his anger for the Romans. Joel is a seventeen-year-old Jewish boy that is thoughtful, loyal, and kind. Joel wants to solve the Roman/Israeli conflict with words, not force. In this story the reader becomes part of Daniel and Joel's group of friends.
Elizabeth George Speare, the author of The Bronze Bow, was born in Melrose, Massachusetts in 1908. She has won the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award and two Newbery Medals for The Bronze Bow and The Witch of Blackbird Pond. She has also won a Newbery Honor Medal for The Sign of the Beaver.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
My kids (14 and 16) really liked this one. It's great to see good fictional writing bouncing off of real times/places/people. Read morePublished 28 days ago by Julie M. Welch
Bought for my daughter for school super fast shipping and great product. Above every book I loved in childhood, this one stands alone. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Kevin
I read this book when I was young and recently revisited it. It's well written and engaging.Published 1 month ago by Nikki
i only rated it one star because it would get people's attention .
i really like this book . a friend recommended it. at first i did not like it too much . Read more
My son does not like to read but he is really enjoying this book. I found him reading it on his own without any prompting from me. Read morePublished 2 months ago by J&R Inc.
This was a wonderful story which is appealing for all ages. I appreciate this author's style and her use of historical information.Published 2 months ago by Bonnie L. Williams
Although fiction this book was a powerful tale of redemption and faith. Can't wait for all my kids to read itPublished 2 months ago by jpool
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Historical Fiction > Ancient
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Historical Fiction > Prehistory
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Classics
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Religious > Christian
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Geography & Cultures > Explore the World > Fiction > Middle East
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Geography & Cultures > Explore the World > Middle East
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Classics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Ancient Civilizations
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Prehistory
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious Fiction > Christian
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Historical Fiction > Ancient Civilizations
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Classics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Geography & Cultures
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Religious
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Religion & Spirituality