Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 67 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 74 reviews
on September 18, 2012
I've been using this machine for a year almost everyday during semesters and at least once a week during breaks. For a complete beginner learning about winding the bobbin and all that, this machine simplified the process. The instruction manuals (one full manual and one handy bobbin winding manual) came with clear pictures and text. Love the computerized ease of adjusting type of stitch width/length, surely that is the best feature of this machine.
I love that you don't have to use the foot pedal - great for a beginner when you havent mastered control. I also do love the overlock stitches the machine comes with -3 types. Great necessity if you are not able to use a serger.

I take off points on this machine bc I don't think its the best when you start moving on to intermediate projects - buttons, invisible zipper, sewing fast on the machine, sewing thick fabrics like denim. On the fastest setting the machine shakes a lot. I feel its hard to keep a nice straight stitch sewing fast bc the machine shakes so much. Or maybe thats bc I also became familiar with the industrial sewing machines which are considerably heavier and can handle fast sewing and heavy fabrics with ease. You also have to use smaller sizes of spools of thread bc the bobbin winder is sideways. I have managed to use bigger sizes but if you are sewing too fast or not pushing it back every so often it will fall which is annoying. Another thing: after sewing so often the shank became loose and the little clasp broke. I purchased a replacement at sewingpartsonline dot com which was about $13 which is expensive for a little part to me. But the presser foot was not as loose anymore so I think thats a part that needs replacing every several months if you are sewing everyday. The last thing is that I wish the needle plate came with more measurement markings, having 1/2" and 3/4" in addition to the 1/4" and 5/8" markings would be perfect as a beginner.

So I would definitely recommend this is you are completely new to sewing or need it for simple projects.
on February 15, 2013
I am in no way a professional at using sewing machines, though I have used them quite a bit in the last few years. I love this machine, though.
My favorite feature is the top-loading bobbin. It makes loading such an ease.
This machine comes with 50 different stitches, great for decorative edges on basic products.
What has been incredibly useful for me is how the machine will stop itself if it ever becomes jammed. There is much less worry that I am going to break it.
The only thing I wish of this product is that it was capable of sewing through much heavier fabrics, however you get what you pay for and this was certainly worth the price!
on February 10, 2012
After reading all the reviews, I ordered this item to replace an old Brother machine I have had for years. For the first couple of months everything was great. Two weeks after the return window closed (of course) it started acting up. I cannot get the tension correct and have tried everything - cleaning, re threading, changing needles, making sure the needle size and fabric and thread should all work together. Also changing the tension control doesn't seem to change the stitches. I hate to pay $80 to have this machine looked at after less than 2 months!! Amazon said I could return for a partial refund but that amount would be determined after I return it. I'll try calling Brother and see if they can help. I feel like I've wasted my money. If I had to do it all over again I would spend a little extra money and buy from a sewing center! By the way - the bobbin case is made of plastic which surprised me.
44 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2012
I bought this machine for my mother who had never sewn before. The instructions were extremely easy to follow and understand. It didn't take her long before she was making tote bags and has already moved on to hemming her own pants. It's also light enough for her to be able to carry from room to room. She enjoys the different stitches that are available as well. I'm extremely happy with this sewing machine - the product description was spot on.
on November 8, 2012
This is a good sewing machine I've had it for a year now and the only problem I've had with it is that the tension is so sensitive that I can't seem to keep it where I want it. adjusting it for a new project is a huge process. But if you are more experienced than me this may not be an issue at all.

All in all I'm very satisfied and would recommend this to experienced crafters.
on July 8, 2013
I needed a less than several thousand dollar machine for piecing quilts and doing some small quilted items. This machine is very affordable, has even more features than I realized and works like a charm. I especially like the bobbin winding, I don't have to stick the tread through a little hole in the bobbin, just wrap it around and let it wind. The only thing I would change is a better storage for attachments, floppy plastic bag just doesn't cut it.
on March 29, 2014
I love this sewing machine. We have an old singer that would cost a lot to service so I was gifted with this model via Amazon. It has held up well. It is very lightweight and there are so many things you can do with this. There are multiple stitch options and you can even embroider. I like that it comes with a starter pack of different needle types and extra bobbins. Now if only I could improve my sewing ability so I can explore all that this machine has to offer.
on December 10, 2012
I have gotten back into sewing and have started quilting. So I needed a machine and with the help of my neighbor she thought
I would be happy with a Brother. I did my research and read reviews of people who had purchased this machine and were
very happy with it. I love it, its been 35 years since I sewed and this is a very user friendly machine and recommend it to
any beginner sewers.
on June 1, 2011
Never touched a sewing machine or used a sewing machine in my life. Ordered the Brother CP-6500 to start with some basic sewing tasks around the house. About ten minutes after opening the box, I had it set up and started sewing. Using it mainly to make my own polishing pads to polish my Harley and I couldn't be happier. Very easy to set up, more stitching patterns than I'll ever use and selecting the one you want is so simple.
on August 11, 2016
Bought this for my daughter's very first sewing machine. She is self taught, never had any seeing lessons, and found this machine easy to use, with helpful directions. Would definitely recommend this machine.