Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 4,201 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,755 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 10, 2010
The Brother HL-2270DW is the follow-up to the immensely popular HL-2170W. The 2170W was popular for its amazing value and print quality. It was also wildly popular because of a neat toner trick to get it to print more pages out of the toner, even when the printer claimed the toner needed replacing. The one big knock of the 2170W was the difficult wireless setup and for being only able to use one network connection at a time-- either Ethernet or WiFi. The 2270DW adds an automatic duplexer and also improves performance.

PROS:
- Fast, fast, fast
- Great print quality
- 3 connectivity options including WiFi
- Automatic duplexer
- Supports Windows XP/2000/Vista/7, Mac OS X, and various Linux distros
- Good looking
- Great value

CONS:
- Starter toner rated at only 700 pages
- Slight curl for duplex printouts
- Uses different and more expensive toner than 2170W
- WiFi limited to 802.11b/g

Once upon a time, I used to have an NEC laser printer, a generic scanner, and an Epson photo printer all on my desk. Well that got old and I consolidated to a multifunction printer and the last 3 printers I owned have all been color inkjet MFP's. The advantages were many but the one drawback was major. The cost per page for inkjet prints became huge, even when printing in black & white. Many color inkjet printers still use color inks when printing in black & white, thus requiring you to replace not only the black ink cartridges, but some of the color ones as well. For me, magenta and yellow frequently ran out, even though we ONLY ever printed in black & white. I'd finally had enough and sought out a solution. As recently as 3 weeks ago, I was able to purchase the 2170W for my parents for a great price and was going to get one myself but they all went out of stock or had gone up in price. Then I found out that they were being discontinued and the 2270DW was the newer model. I pulled the trigger and have not looked back.

2270DW vs. 2170W
The difference between the older 2170W and the newer 2270DW isn't limited to just the change in exterior color. Considering that the base MSRP remains the same, the 2270DW is an outstanding bargain. The 2270DW is slightly faster at 27ppm vs. 22ppm for the 2170W. The 2270DW also uses a 200MHz processor vs. the old 181MHz CPU. The dimensions are identical except that the 2270DW is half an inch taller and happens to weigh almost a half a pound more. I'm guessing the automatic duplexer is responsible for the slightly larger size. Brother also decided to get cheap and included a starter toner rated for only 700 pages, whereas the 2170W was 1000 pages or 2 full reams of paper. The 2270DW also adds GDI printing

INSTALL
The toner and drum are pre-installed but you have to remove it and prep (shake) it before use. I found the Quick Start Guide to be pretty clear and useful for all three connection methods. WiFi configuration is still a bit hokey, but it was easy enough in my opinion.

(USB)
The USB install was a cinch. Install the drivers off of the disc or download them from Brother's website, then plug the USB cable (not included) into your computer and you're good to go.
(Ethernet)
Though the printer's wireless abilities are nice to have, I prefer to use the Ethernet connection to plug the printer directly into my wireless router. This still allows me to print wirelessly from my laptop and via a hardware switch from my desktop. I also don't have to fiddle with the wireless settings and have a stronger, more reliable connection through my router. Using the install wizard, I selected Peer-to-Peer Network Printer as my preferred network print type and was off and running. I performed the same setup on my laptop over WiFi and installed perfectly. One note, I could not quickly find the MAC address to the Ethernet port so I disabled MAC filtering on my router temporarily. If you don't use MAC filtering, then you have nothing to worry about. Afterwards, I found out that you can print the settings from within the Brother print driver and find the MAC address.
(WiFi)
I think a lot of people think they need a WiFi printer to print wireless but most people have wireless routers already that they can just connect the printer to with an Ethernet cable. A printer with WiFi is really only useful if it won't be attached to your router and want it completely independent. As with the 2170W, the 2270DW requires it to be temporarily connected by USB cable or Ethernet to configure the wireless settings, unless, your wireless router supports WiFi Protected Setup or AOSS. The installation wizard on the CD-ROM is pretty straight-forward and I found the install to be painless. Although, if you are using MAC filtering and not broadcasting your SSID, you'll probably want to reverse those temporarily to configure it then switch it back. This is especially true if you are trying to configure the WiFi AFTER you've already set it up by Ethernet and using BRAdmin to do it. To find the internal wireless card's MAC address, hold down the Go button for 10 seconds until it prints a network config page that will enable/disable WiFi and also show you the MAC address. I don't really need WiFi so I only performed the install for the sake of reviewing the procedure.

PERFORMANCE
Time to print has been improved on the 2270DW by nearly 2 seconds, so less time warming up from sleep or off. The actual print speed improvement is less noticeable but 27ppm is insanely fast. I thought my Consumer Reports #1 rated, HP All-in-One Printer was pretty fast, but the 2270DW is at least twice as fast. Text output, even really tiny fonts, looked great. Graphics were also very good. The 2270DW still supports the most current PCL printer language, developed by HP. Oddly though, Brother decided to add GDI capabilities, which is also known as host-based printing and is typically used on low-end printers that put all the printer processing burden on the PC, rather than on the printer's hardware. For example, Brother's bare-bones, cheap 2140 laser printer is GDI only. The 2270DW already has PCL 6 support so I don't see any benefit to having GDI. Even if using a high-end PC might possibly achieve faster to-print speeds, I would think the extra load put on the PC would be a hindrance over just letting the printer's hardware take care of it. I would personally never buy a GDI-only printer. Lastly, given how recently this printer was released, I'm disappointed they didn't include the better 802.11n Wifi support.

NOISE
The 2270DW is noisier than the 2170W, so if you didn't like the 2170W for its noise, then you definitely won't like the noise from the 2270DW. The fan does stay on for several minutes after it prints but shuts off eventually and then becomes totally silent. The sounds of a laser printer are a welcome change from the wonky noises that my inkjet printers made.

DUPLEXER
If you decide to use the automatic duplexer, it will add more time to your printouts, but what a convenience to not have to manually flip over sheets of paper. Brother rates the duplexer speed to 10 sides per minute. I've always liked the idea of using both sides of a sheet of paper. Save them trees! The duplexer on the 2270DW works well and I have not had any jams, knock on the wood of one of those trees I just saved. Aside from having network printing, the duplexer is my favorite feature of the 2270DW. The only downside to using the duplexer is that it has a noticeable curl. A commenter suggested that heavier paper (24 lb) as opposed to the more commonly used 20 lb paper might help reduce the curl and paper jams.

SOFTWARE
The drivers for the 2270DW include a lot of customization options for your printer, including using the Toner Saver Mode, which is similar to Draft Mode in inkjet printers. Unless you are printing a resume, the Toner Saver Mode is more than good enough for daily print jobs. Additionally, Brother laser printers have the ability to upgrade firmware. Given that the 2270DW is brand new, this is an important ability to note because bug fixes and performance improvements are sure to become available down the road. The most current version of the firmware as of this writing is v1.02. You can also install various administrator utilities for configuration and monitoring (BRAdmin). I used BRAdmin to change the Sleep time from 3 minutes to 2. Another neat feature is that you can use web based management by putting the IP address of your printer into a web browser. This is a great way to review settings and other useful information like how many pages you've printed, remaining drum life, serial number, and firmware version.

COST PER PAGE
The high-yield (2600 pages) genuine Brother toner (TN450) from Amazon is currently $46, which equates to about 1.8 cents per page. That is ridiculous! It is so much cheaper than most inkjets, which can cost between 4 cents and 8 cents per page of text. The only bummer is that the Brother drum unit (DR420) currently costs $84. At that price, if my 2270DW's drum needed replacing, I would probably just end up buying a new printer. The drum is rated at 12,000 pages, which is 24 reams of paper. A lot of factors go into when the drum unit should be replaced but given that I personally don't print more than a ream of paper per year, it would last me 24 years, or basically the life of the printer. Factoring in the cost of a new drum unit, I calculated the cost per page to only increase to 2.5 cents per page. Whenever 3rd party toner cartridges become available, the overall cost is sure to drop even more.

MISC
RE: Toner trick. I believe Brother wised up and created the new TN450 toner specifically to address the toner trick. I could not find any holes or openings in the toner or drum unit that could be covered up like the 2170W's TN360 toner. As long as I get close to the rated output for the toner, I'm ok with this. One of the reasons why the toner trick for the 2170W was so lauded is because Brother's method for measuring the toner was inaccurate. I am hopeful that they have improved their measurement method and the trick is no longer necessary.

I love the 250 sheet main paper tray because I no longer have to feed the paper tray on a monthly basis. The manual feed "slot" only accepts one sheet at a time to feed labels and envelopes. Since I use self-adhesive envelopes, I refrained from printing on them. Also, though I was very tempted to, I did not feed any of my inkjet labels through the manual feed slot. Brother does not recommend using inkjet paper due to the risk of paper jams.

I found the multifunctional "Go" button to be confusing. I think a cheat sheet card would have been very helpful to keep all the functions straight. For example, you can hold it down for various lengths of time to make it do different things like reprinting the last print job or pushing it several times in order to continue printing when the low toner warning light comes on.

The 2270DW uses more energy during printing than the 2170W, but less in standby mode.

Out of the 11 monochrome laser printers that Consumer Reports tested, only 2 garnered their "Recommended" rating. Both were Brother printers.

CONCLUSION
I can't imagine the Brother HL-2270DW not reaching the same heights that the HL-2170W did. The 2270DW performs very well, has great features, and is inexpensive to buy and to operate. If I didn't still need a scanner, my HP multifunction printer would be banished from my home. I highly recommend the Brother HL-2270DW for any home, home office or small office.
review image
5150+ comments| 3,084 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2012
After going through another $56 set of inks on my inkjet printer, I decided enough is enough. I don't need to print documents in color and I no longer print photos at home because Costco and Walmart are cheap and easy (and better). This Brother laser printer was my solution.

I give the printer high marks: the print quality can be set at three different levels and the two highest levels are superb. Also it duplex prints (both sides) and does a good job at that. Printing envelopes via the 'straight-through' path is easy and has made my label machine less useful.

As with so many tech units, it's the setup that is the hassle. I am a Mac person. Sure, I've used PCs at work and when I have to but I much prefer the Mac OS. The first indication that there was trouble was when the included setup disk refused to install the printer drivers because they were outdated. There was no link to update, no advice, nothing. So I went to the Brother site and after digging around through their horrible UI, I found the necessary updated drivers, downloaded and installed them. But that was only the start of the hassle.

The user manual is horribly confusing, to say the least, when it comes to setting up the wireless networking (at least to me). I suggest you ignore everything in the manual regarding networking. Let me give you Mac users some hints so you can avoid the wasted time and frustration I experienced:

[Update: June 2015: Apple's OS X now includes printer drivers for most manufacturers, so step 1 may not be necessary. If the setup prompts you for a driver, Google the printer model number and you should find it quickly. Note: After nearly 3 years, I continue to receive personal thanks for this review. I'm grateful I could help so many people].

1. After you've unpacked the printer, installed the toner and paper and printed a test page, go to the Apple web site and search for Brother printer drivers. Apple has all the latest drivers for download free.
2. Download and install the drivers.
3. Insert the CD that came with the printer and open the 'Utilities' folder. Do NOT use the 'Start Here OSX' icon.
4. In the Utilities folder, click on 'Wireless Device Setup Wizard.'
5. In the next window, Setting Up Wireless, click 'NO' then 'Next.'
6. In the next window, click 'checked and confirmed' then 'Next' (you don't need to read the stuff in that box).
7. In the next window, make sure 'Temporarily use USB cable' is selected, then click 'Next.'
8. Connect a USB cable from your computer to the printer.
9. In the next window, you will see the setup software searching for wireless signals in your area. Make sure your network is visible, then select it.
10. In the next window, input your router's wireless access password twice as requested. (Note: if you have an Apple Airport, do not enter the Airport PW, but your wireless access PW. If they are the same, no worries.)
11. Unplug the USB cable to the printer.
12. Click through to 'finish' and you are done!
[Update Aug 2014}
Many have commented that to make their printer work, they took an additional step. Here it is:
13. Be certain the printer is ON. Go to System Prefs>Printers & Scanners. If you see a Brother printer in the pane, it is likely the wired version setup placed there automatically during the setup process. Delete it. Then hit the '+' button and add the wireless version setup your computer will find. Should you ever want to revert to a wired setup, you must go through this step again with the printer connected via USB cable.

Your Brother is now set up to print wirelessly and you can put it anywhere you like.

If Brother would make the setup 'Apple' easy I would give this printer 5 stars. It's a 5-star printer, but a zero-star setup experience.
5150+ comments| 448 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2015
This wireless printer has a known, unresolved issue. The issue has something to do with a dynamic IP address that periodically forces the printer offline. The simple solution was to uninstall and start over from scratch. Every month or so I would play that game much to my annoyance. The month my mother died from a lightning-fast lung cancer, I did not have the patience to fight with my printer. I needed to print out copies of her death certificate and begin the process of closing out her affairs. The printer was offline. I called customer service. After a lengthy hold and close to an hour of fruitless tech support, the technician sent me to grab my USB cable downstairs. When I returned a minute later with the cable, the technician had hung up on me. I proceeded to rip the power cord out from my printer, carry the thing to my front walkway, and smash it into a thousand bits. O Brother, where art thou?
review image
44 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2014
Setup: The printer came with a very detailed guide that made setuo quick and easy. In less than 10 minutes I had it connected to my computer, added to google cloud print (unfortunately it is not cloud ready so it had to be added as a classic printer), and successfully printed a few test pages from three different devices: my desctop pc, my macbook pro, and my moto x(using cloud print).

Print speed: This thing prints insanely fast compared to my old hp touchsmart laserjet. I am a computer science major so I have to print lots of pages and this thing blazed through 13 pages of source code in less than 30 seconds(time from hitting print to it being done printing).

Print quality: The only printers I have used before were inkjets and the difference in quality is amazing. The printing is so sharp that even 2pt font was readable(with a magnifying glass!).

Price per page: the initial started cartridge lasts ~700 pages. After that the toner to buy is TN450 which currently retails here on amazon for $46.34, with an estimate lifespan of ~2,600 pages. From what I've read in the reviews of the toner that seems to be a pretty accurate estimate. So the price per page comes out to roughly 1.8 cents per page. That's amazing coming from using a laserjet with ink that cost anywhere from $20-$30 depending on the time of year and only lasted for a few hundred pages.

Quality of refurbish: When I opened the box there were no signs with was a refurbished printer. The box was in new condition, it had all of the original documentation, no scuffs or marks on the printer, and all the parts I saw while doing initial setup looked new. All of the refurbished brother printers also come with the same one year warranty as the new ones, so as far as i'm concerned I just got a new printer for ~$50 off of the list price.
on September 23, 2012
So far it's a great little printer for a great little price! We bought this because we already have an ink jet all-in-one multi-function printer that has like all who came here before her quit printing after very few months of service. We don't really need a color printer. And, we wanted a printer that would be compatible with our iPad/iPhones. We've only been using it a few days, so how long it prints remains to be seen, but the other reviews lead me to believe switching to a laser printer and this model will serve us well for a while. Even if it only works for a year we will have not flushed nearly the amount of cash on it. That said, if it dies within a short time, I may update this review.

Although I did a good bit of comparison shopping and read lots of reviews, initially we thought we had ordered the wrong printer for our needs. The wireless set-up was a breeze. Brother's website directed us to download "Brother iPrint&Label" app to use our iPad/iPhones. It didn't work. We also found an app, "Brother iPrint&Scan" which also didn't work. After further research on Brother's web site we found that this printer was not suppose to be compatible with iPad/iPhone iOS. I went back to read the information on Amazon.com and it appeared we needed to move up to a more expensive model. But the comparison chart showed this printer worked with "Cortado Workplace". A quick check in the App Store and we located the free app. Cortado is a free App and you sign up for an account which gives you 2 GB of free cloud storage. It works great!

I read reviews all the time when purchasing new items and find them often very helpful, but confess that I don't very often write one. Because we almost spent the money to ship this one back and then more to buy a more expensive printer, I felt adding our experience might save others a lot of headache and money. Hopefully it will.
on November 7, 2014
I needed a simple network capable black&white laser printer for my office. This "refurbished" one was on sale and so I purchased it. I am very, very impressed! The printer was packaged like new, looks brand new, smells brand new, and sounds brand new. If it didn't have a big red Factory Refurbished stamped on the box I would not have known it's refurbished. Mine only has 369 pages on it which is very low for a laser printer.

Speed: This printer rivals the performance of much more expensive models. Even when printing double sided (duplex) it's incredibly quick for both single page and large documents. Even printing a full page photo is the same fast speed.

Print Quality: Text is very clear and dark with no streaking. But please don't try to print photos as they look horrible. Clearly it was not designed for that.

Cost: Not only is the printer itself a reasonable price, but the ink (toner) is cost effective as well. If I'm willing to buy generic cartridges a 3PK costs around $30, where each cartridge is rated at 2600 pages. For genuine Brother toner you would pay $70 for the 2600 page high yield cartridge, which is still competitive.

Features: it's got wired LAN and wireless network, automatic duplex, and a (hideous) web interface. It does everything I expected and more.

Finally, it looks professional and takes up little space. So buy it!
on May 11, 2013
I just got my printer today. It prints fantastically and is a heck of a lot faster than my Epson InkJet - I am a laser printer fan from here out. So in reviewing the printer, it's great and setup on my Dell Laptop was a snap.

As for interfacing with my wife's Mac, that's a whole different story. As many have mentioned and as disclosed in the product description, the included CD-ROM does not have driver installation for any software newer than Snow Leopard (10.6). Anyone using Lion or newer needs to go onto the Brother website and fairly easily install the drivers. I am runnning 10.7.5 and there was an additional software update available by just running my Apple software update tool. It prints fine when connected via USB to the printer.

Here's where people seem to run into issues when printing wirelessly. Let me be clear, there is an issue with Apple 10.7 printing wirelessly. However, it is not an issue with Brother or the printer. A bit of light internet research will show you that when people upgraded to Lion (10.7) their wireless printing capabilities went haywire. I've seen people mention issues with every type of printer imaginable. With our old Epson, the same issue came up when we upgraded. So the blaming of Brother for network issues is misguided. It is an Apple issue and as I write this at 2:30am, I've been trying to find an answer to the problem for the last 4 hours with no luck. People have mentioned that Apple seems to pass the buck when it comes to issues with this - they gave up on 10.7 bug fixes a long time ago. As of right now, I'm not sure where to go with this and it looks like it isn't going to be resolved tonight.

As a long-time loyal Apple fan, I have to be honest that I'm a bit dissapointed. I have never once had an issue like this - they are usually reserved on a frequent basis for my Windows machines. All that aside, I wanted to provide a review in reponse to some of the criticism Brother is receiving regarding this issue. I will update my post when (if?) I can resolve this issue.

******UPDATE******

After hours of tinkering, I figured out how to fix it. To start from the beginning of the install:

1. Go to the Brother-usa.com homepage and find your model.
2. Download the applicable drivers for your software.
3. Run the programs. One is an installer, the other is a wireless network setup. There should be two other firmware programs as well.
4. Run your Apple Software update.
5. Install the new software for the printer.
6. Restart the computer.
7. It should have printed already when the printer first booted, but you need to have the printer IP address. You can access it through your network configuration or go to the printer in Preferences and it should show it there.
8. Write down the printer IP address.
9. If you haven't already pulled up your printer in System Preferences, pull it up. Hit the "-" button on the left hand middle side to erase your previously installed printer. You're not undoing anything you just did, you're just removing the old version and asking your system to recognize the new and updated version of the printer.
10. Now that you have erased the device, click the "+" button to add a device. The printer wasn't immediately recognized under the default tab at the top so I went over to IP, kept the protocol as LPD and typed in the printer IP address in the address line. The name populated below and I added that device.

Not sure if this is a permanant fix or if I just screwed around enough and got something to be able to print but now I can send docs from my Mac just fine. Feel free to leave comments and I'll try to respond if you have questions - I'm not an IT guy, just someone who is too proud to let a machine beat me!
on February 27, 2011
This printer is wicked amazing. But to keep from beating a dead horse about how awesome it is, I'll just write a how-to for the wireless setup. It's the only thing people gripe about in the non 5 star reviews.

These are for a Mac OS X and only if you have a TYPICAL wireless router setup.

1. You'll need to plug it into your computer via USB or Ethernet.
2. Install the printer drivers from the CD, and add the printer under Print & Fax in system preferences.
3. Go to... System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> Options and Supplies. Then click on "Show Printer Webpage"
4. The "website" for the printer will pop up. If it asks for a username and password, its u/n is "admin" and the p/w is "access".
5. At the top, click on "Network Configuration" then click on the Wireless tab.
6. Put these settings

a. Communication Mode: Infrastructure Mode
b. Wireless Network Name: (insert your wireless network name here)
c. Authentication Method: WPA/WPA2-PSK
d. Encryption Mode: AES (very important!)
e. Passphrase: (your wireless password goes here)

7. Click submit. You're done!
8. Unplug from your computer
9. Delete the printer from your printer list. This is because the one you installed assumes it's still plugged in.
10. Click Add Printer, and it should pop up as a wireless printer. Install.
11. Print away!

While you're at the "website", you can set interesting things in Printer Settings like "auto duplex" (2-sided printing), setting the wait time before it goes into sleep mode (this doesn't mean the fans will turn off, because they're cooling) and Toner Save!

Hope this helps anyone who was frustrated.
on June 26, 2014
My wife and I homeschool our children and we print a lot. We wanted something that was B&W, could duplex print (front and back), was wireless, and was fast. We have an old HP LaserJet 4+ that wasn't wireless, was heavy, big, and didn't duplex, plus the front rollers were having issues and would cause paper jams. It was time for something new.

This model fit the bill and the refurb price fit my wallet. We've had it for about a month now and its been great. Setup wasn't bad, but the Web GUI is not super intuitive and looks like minimal effort went into the design. I'd have given it 5 stars if that was better. Still, setup didn't take too long and once it was on the network and the print server was running I was off. I was even able to set it up to work with my Synology NAS to work as a remote print server. We're super happy so far. Print speed is good, even with duplex. Its a little noisy but what printer isn't. Wakes and warms up quickly and I love the flexibility of the wireless. I plan to go the cheap route with replacement toner vs a whole cartridge when the time comes. If I remember I'll update my review to let you know how that goes.
77 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2013
Printer works great, Win7 found and recognized the printer right away. Until 2 days ago I loved this printer. Then, I was printing about 100 pages and half-way through the Toner light came on and the printer refused to print anymore. I turned it off, turned it on, cancelled my print job, tried to reprint just 1 page; it just refused to print!

So I go on Google, and can't believe what I'm reading. Brother has a page counter in place that literally shuts down the printer once you've printed what they think is the right amount of pages for your toner cartridge. I used the reset process, and printed another 300+ pages before the ink even started to get light/faint. So basically they have a process in place that forces you to throw away good toner, and I've heard you have to do the reset thing as well if you don't buy a Brother toner cartridge.

Needless to say, I won't be buying any more Brother products.

Here's the reset process:

- Open the front cover and leave open while completing the following steps.
- Turn the printer off.
- Hold the 'go' button (or "start' button) while turning the printer on. All panel lights should be on.
- Release the 'go' button (or "start' button).
- Press the 'go' button (or "start' button) 2 times.
- Pause. Wait for all panel lights to come on.
- Press the 'go' button (or "start' button) 5 times.
The toner light should be off. (error may be flashing)
The paper light should be on or flashing.
- Close cover. The ready light should be the only light on.