Hill Climb Racing 2 BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

on March 22, 2014
The purchase price of this printer is higher than many others, but it more than makes up for the cost in the savings of printer cartridges. I bought a Kodak printer but when the ink ran out, the cost of the cartridge was more than I paid for the printer. This unit has separate ink cartridges for each color and they last a long time. The automatic scanner feeder works great and has saved me a lot of time when scanning in a multi-page document. I only have two complaints. The first is that if the document is two sided, the software which comes with the printer won't interleave the scan (pages 1-3-5 and 2-4-6 don't automatically become 1-2-3-4-5-6). I have to de-comb the pages and manually re-stack them. Overall it's no big deal for the quality and convenience I've gotten from it, and I could probably find third party software which would do this if I were to start scanning a lot of documents. The second complaint is that there is no manual document feed tray which bypasses the bundle paper feeder. So if you are printing two sided or a single page with heavy stock oran envelope or something, you have to remove the feeder and place the paper in there. It's not a big deal but a little inconvenient. Overall, it's a great buy for the quality, reliability, and cost savings in ink. Finally, the wired printer USB port is in a very strange place. It's under the scanner bed and I had to refer to the manual to find it. Why there isn't a port on the back I don't know. It's weird and a little difficult for me to fit my wire in there because there is a built in ferrite core but I managed to make it work. I hope to see a port in the back in future models.
on April 10, 2014
Decent all-in-one for someone who just needs a basic machine. Text printing is good and extremely fast, the fastest inkjet I've ever owned. Graphics / pictures on plain paper are fair. 4x6 photo paper jams every time. (But, digital prints are so cheap at the blue big-box store, I really never print them at home anyway.)

Wireless networking is a nice plus at this price point, and connected effortlessly.

Note if you intend to connect it to a VOIP phone line, there is a "compatibility" setting in the menu that needs to be set appropriately. Even with that setting, *any* fax machine will have trouble sending/receiving using VOIP when the internet is running slow, i.e. late afternoon / evening when everyone is streaming movies.

Design quibble, the paper tray is closed at the "outside" end, so must be completely removed from the machine to add more paper. Every other printer I've ever owned, one could slide in a few more sheets without removing the tray.

All in all, I'm happy with it and would buy it again.

UPDATE: nine months later, no problems whatsoever, doesn't burn through ink like my old unit did, all of the above still applies, still happy with it.
on December 1, 2015
I don't know if this is still in production but if I needed a printer I would buy this. I know, it is big and takes up acres of desk, but put it somewhere else then. It is worth it. It does everything but make my coffee. The wireless part is amazing. Even our Ipads & phone. And it can print photo quality pictures on glossy, or scan your photo so you can do away with the tons of pictures in the closet. And I think it only jammed once, maybe twice. I've had a lot of printers and this one had made me the happiest.
on February 2, 2013
I've had the printer for about a month, and so far, I like it. It's a little slower than I expected, but other than that, it's lived up to my expectations. Setup was a cinch and could be done directly over wi-fi. I love being able to push a button on the machine, have it scan up to 20 pages automatically, and instantly convert them to a PDF in a folder that opens up on my computer when it's done.

I haven't had the chance to try photo quality yet, but I'd assume it's on the lower end at this price point.

It would be nice if the printer had a rear paper tray for times when I need to use specialty paper like envelopes or labels, since it's mildly annoying to pull the paper tray out. On the other hand, since it holds significantly more paper than my old printer, I have to refill it far less often.

Overall, while the printer isn't the best on the market, it seems like a great choice at this price range. It should do well in the average home or, possibly, the very small home office.
on February 23, 2013
I had my mother-in-law buy the next model up last year with the wired network, card reader, bigger display, little bigger auto doc feeder, and a CD print tray. They have the same ink cartridges and speed. But, she or I (when I come to town and help her with printer jobs) have never used those extra features and I don't foresee doing so. The price was great, it shipped as expected, and it was easy enough to set up. It prints like a champ and is even better than the last 1/2 dozen printers I replaced it with. The ink is really cheap because the cartridges don't contain the print heads. That's a little scarey if the built in heads plug up, but I'll see how that goes--it's worth a try.
Some complained about the cheap/weak paper tray and I can see the point, but the plastic seems durable enough. I handle that with a little more care to be safe.
Oh yes, this has Linux drivers. That one of the reasons I went with brother and not Canon or Lexmark (HP is very good about Linux drivers). They don't come with the disk but Brother has them readily accessible online.
Lastly, this fits very neatly on my limited desk space. The doc feeder lays closed and clean. The paper feed and paper out are in the same place so that is nice. My Lexmark (X7675) had a rear print paper feeder which took up desk room and collected dust,
on December 3, 2012
These days you can always find good inexpensive inkjet printers. The challenges is to not have to change ink cartridges every five minutes. I have bought a series of these printers and they work great. We have moved to a lot of scanning and are trying to go paperless as possible. They tend to network okay in a small office/ home setting. In setting them up some set up quick, others had challenges for no apparent reason. brothers customer support with quick and in a,language I could understand. If you find high volume cartridges and buy from a reputable discounter of ink, you can keep your ink costs way down.
on November 28, 2013
I had already gone through an HP....with their super expensive ink and a Kodak who claims their ink was cheap....(heh) and at a personal endorsement from my son, I ordered This printer. I like how the paper stores within the machine and the over all size of it. It practically hooked itself up to my WIFI.
Also should be mentioned that it will print in black if that's what you need and having separate cartridges is much better even in the size of the cartridges that come with the machine.......if you don't want the long cartridges.
I'm running mine with an iMac and it works compatibly with iPhoto and prints from my iPad.
on May 27, 2013
I cannot get this printer to connect to my wireless network and remain connected. Every time I log in and need to print something, I have to disconnect the printer and reload all of the printer software. I have tried to call Brother to have someone trouble shoot the connection, but I get a recording. There is no toll free number for support and the only number cited in the documentation has live people during normal business hours. It is a beautiful printer, when it works. But very frustrating when it is after business hours and nothing will print.
on October 25, 2013
I purchase this printer and it arrived right on time so problem with that part. But it does not have a dark print to it and does terrible on photos or pictures. It is lame when it comes to printing even the black is not dark.

I have reset and tried all kind of settings but nothing helps.

At least the shipper and the Biz that sold it to me did everything right. It just the printer is no good, does anyone else have this problem if not I should send this printer back.
on May 28, 2014
My sister has had a Brothers all-in-one for several years, so I decided to try it. Love the fact that it's wireless. And the ink cost is a fraction of what I paid when I had Epson & Canon printers. Only complaint I would have (which isn't a big problem for me) is the time it takes to copy, and you have to be copied page-by-page. The scanner is nice and user-friendly and fairly fast, though.