2-Year Multi-Device Protection Planfrom Assurant
- Plan covers all electronics purchased (Mobile Phones Excluded) within 12 months of purchase of the plan
- Click on "Learn More" or see below to view the full list of products covered
- Eligible products are covered for 2 years from the purchase of the plan with $1000 in total claim benefits
- Protects against drops, spills, and cracks immediately, and mechanical breakdown after the manufacturer's warranty expires
- $0 deductible. Cancel anytime. See full Terms and Conditions for details
Brother SX-4000 Electronic Typewriter
|Price:||$659.50 & FREE Shipping|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Perfect type professional touch keyboard
- 70,000 word dictionary with error-locating FIND feature
- Line-by-line printing
- Automatic relocation after correction
- 1-Year limited warranty
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Brother SX-4000 Portable Electronic Typewriter
From the Manufacturer
The SX-4000 is a mid-level portable daisywheel typewriter with a 16-character LCD display and a 70,000 word dictionary. Its features include the Perfectype professional touch keyboard, automatic "word-out" and "line-out" correction memory, automatic underling, bold printing, right margin flush and view mode. It has a variable 10/12/15 pitch typing selector and automatic paper insertion.
- Perfectype professional touch keyboard
- View mode allows easy viewing of the typing line
- Line-by-line printing
- Automatic carriage return
- Automatic paper insertion
- Forward and reverse indexing
- Automatic repeat for all characters
- Interchangeable cassette daisy wheel with various type styles available
- Interchangeable cassette ribbon
- Self-demo feature automatically demonstrates features and functions
- Paper support conveniently doubles as lid cover
- Carrying handle
- "Word-spell" 70,000 word dictionary with error-locating FIND feature
- 16-character LCD display
- Automatic paper insertion
- Full line lift-off correction memory
- "Word-Out" and "Line-Out" correction system
- Automatic underlining
- Bold printing and right margin flush
- View mode
- Variable 10/12/15 pitch typing selector
Top customer reviews
For starters, this one is much lighter and more streamlined, which for me is a plus because the model I had used before was a chore for a girl to lug around and set up on a table or office desk. The power cord is easier to handle as well, the older model's cord was quite stiff and not very manageable. This is one instance where older is not necessarily better. I also never cared for the 80's/early 90's 'squarish' style, certainly not as aesthetically pleasing to look at as this one is. I am pleased that Brother still makes the keys taller and with a firmer feel than other brands, not that the keys are hard to push, quite the contrary, but it makes it much easier to type accurately without missing any keys in my opinion, and it's the classic typing touch that I am used to. I have never tried the electronic spell-check feature, preferring to just type free-hand the old-fashioned way, but I was the best at spelling in school so that feature may prove useful for those who want to use the electronic computer. Yes, this is a high-tech computerized typewriter with many features and you could type and double-check the screen before actually approving it to physically type on paper to save time and money on paper and ink.
I still can type faster than the typewriter can actually type on paper, but that is to be expected as there are physical limitations to how fast the little hammer can strike accurately and I find that this model types faster than the older model and it only takes a few moments for it to catch up with me so I can continue on the next line and it isn't as though I'm going to write a book with it so that doesn't bother me at all. Personally, I love the sound of an old-fashioned typewriter and this one has a beautiful 'typing' sound, about the closest thing you can get to the classic WWII-era typewriters. My parents could never sleep with a typewriter working so I tried not to type at night, but for that matter they couldn't sleep even if I was typing on a computer's keyboard and I don't type any harder than the average person but I do type over 40wpm.
I use it mainly to type W-2's (and W-3's) and a few other forms for another person's small business. When I was a teenager I used to volunteer to help type paperwork and fill in forms with the old Brother typewriter, so I still find it faster and easier to just pull out the typewriter and fill in certain forms that I need filled rather than the hassle of installing form-filling software on a computer and figuring out how the cheap program works, only to find that after much trial and error it still doesn't print out as professional-looking as when I use my Brother typewriter (which I keep stored with a dust-cover to protect it since I only use it a few times a year).
For most letter-writing, and most typing in general, I use a desktop computer and printer, but for certain envelopes, labels and especially for filling forms I find it much more enjoyable and efficient to pull out the Brother SX-4000 and type. The perfect-looking results are well worth it, and so for me, this is a real time-saver!
Thank you for taking the time to read this review and if you have found it at all helpful, please let me know by voting below.
Once I got past that minor issue the typewriter worked like a charm. One thing I would definitely recommend is NOT to order re-supplies through Brother - you'll pay a premium price. Better to order starter kits, ribbons, etc., through Amazon. Seriously. 50% off for the same item.