Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on September 20, 2016
I have never used a sewing machine in my life until I bought this. To put that in perspective, I'm 42 years old and a father of 2. When I told my wife I was going to buy a sewing machine, she looked at me like I was nuts. Which, to be fair, might be totally accurate, but I have no regrets about this purchase.

I bought this because I hate throwing stuff away: pants that could be hemmed, knees that can be patched, whatever. Clothes are expensive, and sewing by hand is tedious.

This machine comes with a great DVD that I watched once and promptly threw away. I threw it away because basically you can watch the same video on youtube without having to fiddle with a remote. I found it a lot easier to just search for "Brother sewing machine instruction video" and watch Brother's video on a tablet sitting right next to my machine.

And let me say this, at first, I was pretty worried. Bobbins? What's a bobbin? Feet? Sewing machines are pretty complicated, but the instructional video was very good. I didn't know *why* I was threading the thread the places I was, but once I got it done, I sewed my first stitch! I won't say it was the cleanest job in the world, but I hemmed a pair of pants in a totally serviceable manner.

After my second pair, I was rolling. I changed the thread without even looking at the video: new bobbin and all. That's how simple this device is: a totally non-sewing 42 year old can learn it in under 30 minutes. The stuff I sewed held strong and eventually even got to the point where it looked sharp (which is more a reflection on my lack of skill than any problem with the machine).

I know, I'm not doing anything complicated here. I'm not making my own clothes or using really complicated stitches, but I think this machine will work for the overwhelming majority of the tasks I'll see in my household.

I get that this machine wasn't made for me (the purple floral pattern is a pretty good hint), but I don't think any guy should be afraid of learning to sew. It's a great skill, and this is a great machine to start with.
99 comments| 917 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 18, 2014
My new Brother sewing machine has given me no trouble so far. It came with an instructional DVD which was quite helpful. The included instruction booklet is detailed, but the print on some of the pictures is too small for me to see well, so the DVD was a bonus. I have sewn stretchy material for a bra using this machine with no problem. Today I made 2 pairs of cotton curtains with great success. The various stitches are a treat.

There are only 3 things I don't care for on this machine:

#1) The LED light is a joke. It is ridiculously dim. Seems a waste to have to buy another light source just to be able to use the machine properly, but I may have to invest in a floor model gooseneck lamp before I truly love it.

#2) The pressure of the presser foot is not adjustable, and I think the pressure is too much in general. It's impossible to pull a pin out from under it without first raising the presser foot.

#3) The location of the presser foot lever is a pain. You have to reach up under the arm of the machine to reach it, instead of it being located on the back of the machine like all the others I have used over the years. I haven't gotten used to it yet and waste a lot of time looking for it.

I have not tried the one-step button hole attachment yet, but from viewing the video, it seems pretty straight forward. I'll be trying it soon.

I do LOVE the built-in needle threader. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and this feature is wonderful. It takes a little bit to figure out how to use it, but each time I have tried, I have been able to successfully thread the needle using this useful feature.

Overall a very good machine for $100. There seems to be no way to oil this machine without taking it to be serviced, as with most (if not all) of the new Brother sewing machines, so I consider this a throw away machine, unlike my old Morse machines, 2 of which are more than 50 years old. For the cost of a trip to a repair shop for maintenance, it will be just as cost effective to buy another machine and toss this one out when it needs oiling.

If you want a good selection of stitches, and don't plan on sewing a lot of heavy material, this machine would be a good choice. For sewing heavy materials, I'll be hanging onto my old straight-stitch (and oil-able) Morse machines.

One more thing, this machine does not have a handle for easy carrying, (some other Brother machines do) nor can it be installed in a sewing cabinet. Seems none of the new household ones can, no matter the brand, which I find to be a big letdown.
44 comments| 393 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 14, 2015
It's a 'budget' machine. It gets the job done but its biggest quirk was a deal breaker for me. When you touch the foot pedal it goes from creeping slower than a snail to WARP SPEED, MR. SULU in the tiniest pressure change. There is no "medium" speed.
11 comment| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 7, 2014
Arrived faster than expected so I was able to start sewing right away. Awesome machine for the money. The needle threader works great. There is a clear plate over the bobbin so you can see when you are getting low on thread. Surprisingly lightweight compare to my old clunker.
11 comment| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 20, 2014
I guess I took a chance buying this machine when tere were no reviews on it, as it just recently was released by Brother.
However, maybe that is what drew me to choose this machine as well. I spent alot of time reading many reviews for many machines and it just became overwhelming. They all had good and bad reviews. Then I saw this, and it was within my price range as a beginner sewer. I wanted a decent machine, but didn't want to spend alot of money since I want to make sure my intrest in learning to sew is something I actually stick with. At the same time, I wanted a machine that would be able to grow with me as I learned, and thought this would be a good one.And it didn't have any reviews to clous my perceptions.
Well it arrived yesterday, The dvd is a great help and I was able to get the machine set up and begin some simple sewing on it. The machine runs smoothly, and has many features I like. I think I will enjoy using this machine for quite awhile.So for now..I am impressed and really am glad I bought this sewing machine!
77 comments| 412 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 8, 2017
I purchased this because my archaic but well maintained Kenmore (approx~1970) kept eating delicate fabrics.

I have to say, this little machine is a tiger. It's never going to truly replace my heavy duty all metal one, but wow---is it nice.

- Compared to my old unit, it's SO quiet.
- The tensioning and threading is a dream, both top, and bottom. It's simple, quick and really easy.
- I was very nervous given the plastic bobbin maker, but so far it actually makes nice bobbins with perfect tension.
- The auto threader is NOT as nice as the Brother "bottom of the line" embroidery machines. That was really disappointing. Still, better than threading itself.
- Admittedly, the foot lift being on the side and not back takes some getting used to. However, I'm finding that when working with delicate and unstable designs it's much easier to get the foot down because its so close. There is some built-in right-hand bias, but a leftie with experience sewing has to deal with that as a matter of course, so it's not more difficult than a foot lift in the back.
- The reverse stitch is...meh. On my old machine, it was clearly a mechanical process, this one it's electronic. It feels flimsy and toy-like. I'm guessing this will be one of the first things to go on this.
- The foot pedal is touchy but not that hard to get accustomed to. I'd say that my old pedal had over an inch of "lift" when this one maybe has half a
- The stitches are plentiful. There's no reason a beginner needs any more than these.

I've used a few different fabrics. Nylon "gymshorts" fabric feeds beautifully. Flannel, cotton (both thin and thick) speed through with no issue. I really liked how it handled "light" thicker fabrics like minky, fleece, and microfiber, it didn't jam and the usual fuzzies that were produced were incredibly minimal. I did try a light canvas, and had no issue.

I don't expect it to last forever. I'm not going to use it with heavy canvas or denim...it'd probably be pushing the limits. But for under $100 it's solid.

In short. You get what you pay for. This isn't a heavy duty machine. I doubt that with moderate use it's going to last a decade, nevermind make it to 50 years as my old Kenmore has. It's light, it's portable, it's pretty. It's easy to use. Perfect for what I need it to be.
on May 8, 2017
I'm a man who's never sewn anything except for a few buttons and the loose hem of a pair of suit pants (by hand and REALLY badly!). I'm also really busy during the day, so getting to the tailor is almost as much of a challenge as trying to sew (I've had a brand new pair of jeans that needed to be shorten sitting in my drawer for 4 years). I finally decided to try a sewing machine. I figured if I could hem 4 pairs of pants, this machine would pay for itself; and I'd have the satisfaction of learn something new. Well, I learned there's a lot more to sewing than I ever imagined, and I've developed a new respect for those who do it well. On the other hand, I successfully shortened two pairs of jeans the night I took this machine out of the box! You have to have the patience to follow the directions, but if you do, this machine is really easy to use. For those who are complete novices like me, here are a few basic suggestions: 1) you can buy already wound bobbins, but you don't need them - the machine will load a bobbin with thread in a matter of seconds (I had no idea), so just buy spools of the colored thread you need; 2) there are a ton of "how-to" video's online, watch them!; 3) buy straight pins and safety pins if you don't already have them; 4) practice on a piece of scrap material before working on a real project.

A sewing machine is a surprisingly complex piece of machinery, but Brother has done a great job making this one affordable and easy to use if you take the time to follow the directions!
on April 22, 2016
I used to sew as a kid but I was never that great. I had a dinky little machine that would always jam up and I was certain it was because I'm an idiot.

Guess what, I'm not an idiot. I just had a crappy sewing machine. This machine is decidedly not crappy. The only time it has jammed was due to a little light user error (ok, maybe I am an idiot).

This sewing machine has also done wonders for my social life. I make cool stuff for my friends and family and that makes me undeniably more tolerable to be around.
on August 16, 2016
I bought this machine for my daughter and she loves it. I really like that it came with an instructional DVD which, if you are a novice, is a must. The machine is lightweight, therefore easy to move around. She has been using it for several weeks. Any issues the had, she would refer back to the DVD. Problem solved. I would recommend this machine to my friends. The price is great too.
on October 15, 2015
This took about 2 days to get to me after I bought it, and I live in Alaska, which usually takes a week and a half. And the machine itself is great! Very easy to use. I've never touched a sewing machine before and now I can't find enough things to sew. The instructional dvd is great as well, it goes quickly but it's a good thing I can rewind it as much times as I want! I recommend it.