Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Brothers Martin
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.49

on February 11, 2007
It has been a long time coming but the collaboration between brothers Ronnie and Jason Martin was well worth the wait. The duo have been quite successful with their long-time individual projects - Ronnie with his synth-pop outfit Joy Electric, Jason with his guitar driven mood-rock band Starflyer 59 - and with this present disc, the Brothers Martin bring the best of their individual styles into a collaborative whole with amazing results.

With the exception of the live drums played by Project 86's Alex Albert, all of the music was written, produced and played entirely by Ronnie and Jason. The music is highly diverse and covers a wide variety of styles ranging from the guitar-driven opening track "Comminication" to the New Wave synth stylings of "The Harsh Effects of Time" and "Fears To Remember". Elsewhere, there are some stellar moments heard in the industrial-like "Missionary" and the Brit-pop of "Opportunities".

Indeed, every track on The Brothers Martin CD is a stellar example of these two musicians talents in highest form. Here's hoping that this isn't just a one-time collaboration. While both Joy Electric and Starflyer 59 have their solid moments, Ronnie and Jason definitely provide something unique and special when playing together. The evidence is heard in this CD. A true classic from two great artists.
on September 18, 2012
I have never listened to either Ronnie or Jason Martin's other bands, Joy Electric or Starflyer 59, so I come to this review with no prior experience of either of their styles. I was introduced to this band through the show "Chuck" in which their song, "The Missionary", is featured at the end of the pilot episode. I liked the song and eventually bought the album because it sounded catchy.

Let me give you an idea of some of the main themes of this CD. There is a lot of synthesized music in the tracks. The brothers alternate lead vocals on the tracks (Jason's songs don't have as much synth influence, though it is still there). None of the songs have a lyrical bridge which is definitely a change from "traditional" music. They usually just have two verses and a chorus. On some of the songs, I don't understand what the lyrics are trying to say, but the songs are catchy so that makes the lyrical questions not matter as much (to me). Also, Ronnie's voice is sometimes annoying on certain words. I would just say, listen to the samples and if you like what you hear, you'll probably like the CD. I think what I like most about it are the beats and music behind the singing. Most of the songs are very catchy if you're into synthesized music. I will probably branch out from this album and look into their other bands and see if I like those too.
on January 5, 2012
In a long-awaited reunion brothers Jason & Ronnie Martin collaborate on this album by swapping back & forth and mixing their own unique musical/vocal styles. Each song tends to have a strong musical influence from one brother while the other brother lends his vocals and a nice blending of his own musical signatures. I was pleasantly surprised and hope they continue their teamwork into a second "Brothers Martin" album.
on February 27, 2007
I completely agree with the last reviewer, this is truly the best of both worlds when it comes to Jason and Ronnie Martin's musical prowess. The synth-pop sounds are awesome, and are heavily influenced by the 80's new wave style. The results are mesmerizing. This is one of those rare cd's that I don't feel like taking out of the player when it ends. Don't hesitate to snatch this up.
on July 10, 2007
First off, this album might not be for everyone, but for those of you who follow Starflyer 59 will like it, and those of you who follow Ronnie Martin and his works will love it. The reason I say that is because this cd tends to follow Ronnie's influence more than Jason's. All things said though, they are both excellent at their style of music and definately deserve some attention for this CD. The Plot That Weaves is definately my favorite song.
on July 12, 2007
I've been a fan of both Martins since the beginnings on T&N (and I even have some Dance House Children stuff), so I was really looking forward to this.

All in all, I think it's worth listening to and probably owning, for the serious fan, but I don't think it's anything special. Probably because it mostly reminds me of Ronnie, and I got tired of & stopped buying his stuff quite a while ago. "The Deaf, They will Hear" is a really annoying/bad song, moreso than any other song of either of theirs I can think of (although truthfully there's only one SF59 song I dislike, and nothing bugs me much about the old JE) so that's not saying much.
on February 25, 2013
If you like Joy Electric, or Starflyer 59 this is a must own. One of the best albums Tooth and Nail has released.