Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons [Online Game Code]
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on December 19, 2013
This is, without a doubt, one of the most well-designed games I have ever played. This coming from a game designer in the industry.
I'm talking about this on a purely technical and gameplay point - the puzzles and gameplay in this is astounding, and it alone is reason enough to purchase this game. It is worth well more than 6$. I was amazed at how intelligently the game was built and how amazing everything is presented to you with subtle hints, progressive learning, and incredible pacing.

Going beyond this, A Tale of Two Sons has a fantastic storyline which is delivered clearly without the use of a single word throughout the entire game. You don't /need/ to understand the characters to know what's going on - this is a feat rarely achieved in /any/ medium, and is incredibly rare among video games.

I cannot recommend this game enough. It is, without a doubt in my mind, one of my favorite games I have ever played.
on November 10, 2013
BUY THIS GAME! There, I said it. Now on to why....

Let me start by saying that I am an avid PC gamer. I build gaming rigs specifically for games like Battlefield 3 & 4. So I am used to playing high demanding / graphics intense games. I also like FPS shooters in general (Counterstrike/COD etc).

This game is nothing like what I am used to playing. It's got a playfully fun, exciting, scary, and sad story all rolled up in to one. Graphics are cartoonish sure, but it really goes along with the game and (The Never Ending Story) style scifi adventure... Sure it's set in a totally made up language (that I know of) but you don't need to understand what they are saying. The story and actions happening at the moment explains everything.

I purchased this game off STEAM today for the same price as here. I had read that it's best played with an Xbox 360 style controller hooked up to your PC. I didn't bother and was used to the default keyboard controls within 15 minutes of playing. The game starts off mellow so it gives you a chance to get acquainted to the movements and controlling two people at once. Yes, you control two people (brothers) simultaneously... it's actually pretty ingenious and nothing like I have ever played before.

Graphics are not high demanding so a basic rig with a decent card will run this just fine.

Without spoiling the game, let me say that I'm a 37r old male and the ending is a tear-jerker.
Nothing but great reviews from me for this game. The ONLY con is it wasn't long enough and I was able to finish it in 6 hours (which felt like 30 minutes). A game hasn't sucked me in like this.... ever

The graphics, level of detail, and cinematic style game play will keep your whole family entertained while they watch you navigate this mysterious world.

You cannot go wrong with this game and for around $10.... come on.
77 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2013
I bought this game as I saw some really great reviews and was looking for something different. I can honestly say this was the most beautiful game I have played in a very long time. I let my son play most of it and I played parts with him, each of us playing one of the sons. I highly recommend the game and it is time to let my other two sons play the game together. I am hoping they will learn some cooperation along with enjoying a great story.
on December 2, 2013
This is the game that delivers on the promise of narrative-entwined gameplay that we glimpsed a year ago in Journey. It'll be remembered (and dissected, and copied) for one specific, powerful moment, but the game's true success is the way it uses its 'single-player co-op' gameplay to define the brothers as individuals and a team in the hours leading up to its climax. Even better, the whimsical, often brutal fairy tale design of its Scandinavian-themed world makes it easily one of the year's best-looking games.

In terms of tone, the game is equal parts Ico, Journey and Limbo. There's an innocence and beauty to the world, but an undercurrent of melancholy and danger. It gets dark. The game uses a fictional language and, aside from its very first minutes, features no text or prompts. But you'll never have a problem understanding what's being said, thanks to the expressiveness of the models and voice work. The controls are as minimal as the UI: each brother is tied to one analog stick and one trigger for movement and context-sensitive actions.

The gameplay revolves around solid, but light, platforming and puzzle-solving. The real draw is how well the gameplay serves the story and atmosphere. The role the brothers play in solving physical puzzles or traversing the environment is defined not only by their sizes, but by their personalities. I'd like to give a few examples, but I don't want to spoil much for you. Suffice to say, their interactions with each other, and with the other characters in the world, feel natural.

There's real wonder and fun in this title. Enjoy.
on December 25, 2013
Ya, this isn't a tough one. Just buy it and enjoy. This is a great game from start to finish. Incredible visuals and cutscenes, challenging game play, engaging story line.....this game pretty much has it all. The only downside is that it is a relatively short game, perhaps 5 hours of gaming. Still well worth it, just a great game.

P.S. Played this with my 12 year old son and he loved it. Very age appropriate. It is possible to play this two player by using the keyboard and having each person control one brother, as the keys to control the brothers are at opposite ends.
on April 3, 2014
I played through this whole game twice, once myself and once with my 3.5 year old daughter. There was one chapter (5th of the 7 in the game) that I felt was inappropriate for her - in fact it was obviously intended deliberately to make the player uncomfortable. Other than that it's kid appropriate. We both enjoyed the gorgeous scenery - she called it "The movie game" for a while until I trained her to call it "Brothers game." I played on a PC with a keyboard and never had a problem - as others have noted, there are a couple cranks that are slow to turn via keyboard, but overall it's completable via keyboard.
on January 1, 2014
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a wonderful, albeit short, game following the journey of two brothers, Naiee and Nyaa, on their quest to find the Tree of Life, and save their father. It is a larger than life tale, that will lead you on a rollercoaster ride through chilling and beautiful landscapes and have you interacting with both familiar, and mythical creatures.

Pros: The unique world, story, and interactions are where Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons truly shines. There are a lot of moments that will put a smile of your face, and despite the singular story choices, you do feel like you are able to interact with the world. The simplistic nature of the controls allows for the game to easily be played on a keyboard, though designed for a controller.

Cons: With a runtime of approximately three hours, the game is short. At least 30-50% of that time is spent not actually playing, but watching cut scenes. However, sometimes less is more. The puzzles and gameplay are simple, and I could imagine them becoming a little redundant were the game any longer. They are there more to advance the story, than to challenge you.

Despite the areas where Brothers: A Tale of Two Songs is lacking, it is incredible what Starbreeze Studios has packed into three hours of gameplay. The game is a story, but it is also an adventure. It will leave you in awe of the atmosphere, and have you feeling like a young Indiana Jones by the end.
on October 28, 2015
For an indie game with a fairly low budget, this was a very well executed game.

It's a game about two brothers, naturally, and you control both of them with separate analog sticks. This game needs a controller. I'm not even entirely sure you could play without one even if you wanted to. Even though it sounds like a pretty confusing mess of a game mechanic, it works a lot better than you'd think. It does have a learning curve, but it's not too bad.

It is a platformer, but it's not a particularly difficult one. It's more of a story driven game, and it takes about 5-6 hours to get through. Certainly, your enjoyment of the game depends on how much you like the story, but I thought it was pretty good, and well worth playing the game for.

The graphics are quite good, and it has a rather nice art style. Sound is good, though the music didn't really stand out to me. It does add to the game at least. Overall the game has a really nice presentation across the board.

Even with the very unique game mechanic of controlling two brothers at the same time to do your platforming and solve puzzles, it rarely felt frustrating. I always felt like I was in control of my actions. If you've ever played an FPS on a controller, then you should be able to get through this game without a lot of trouble. So on the control front, the game performs very well.

I don't want to get into any real spoilers about the story. So there's only so much I can say about the game. Basically, if the game mechanics interst you, and you'd like to play a story driven game about two brothers, I'd have to say pick it up. It's worth it.
on February 19, 2014
It sounds so simple: a video game which tells a story. Many games have accomplished this over the last few decades, but none has done it in the way Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons has. This is just as much an interactive novel or short story as an adventure game.

Without giving away spoilers, I'll just say a few things:
One person plays as both the first and second sons of a widower/father. Father becomes ill, so the sons are sent on a journey to find the medicine which will save his life. Along the way, the brothers take care of each other and assist those in need...they even find a bit of mischief from time to time.
(The Controls are a "single player co-op" style, where one controls both boys simultaneously, btw. This can take a bit of getting used to, but actually adds to the game, in my opinion.)

This is all done without the utterance of a single intelligible word of ANY language. Characters speak in a fictitious tongue, yet you still understand the meaning, if not the words.

I rarely feel an emotional response while gaming, but Brothers is really a story which tugs the heart strings in many directions. Mirth, tragedy, excitement, fear, and joy; few have experienced such a variety of emotions from the best literature and most critically-acclaimed movies...but a game? Games are not traditionally seen as "art" in the same light as film, TV, or books. Brothers is a huge step forward in dissolving the walls between these mediums.

The game is only a few hours long and the replay value is fairly low...but don't let that detract you from enjoying one of the best games on the market. As an absolutely avid gamer, I rate Brothers as my 2013 Game of the Year.

Buy it. Play it. Share it. You will not be disappointed.
on July 19, 2014
One of the best games I have ever played. Heartbreakingly memorable and touching, and I mean that. There is some truly innovative game play and for once you really feel for the characters you play.

Story: Somewhere in a medieval, fantasy world, a young family is besot by tragedy. When the father turns very ill, the two children of the family (brothers) go on a perilous quest to a find way to cure their parent. Along their journey they meet amazing creatures and people who help them.

Game play: Using one controller (you can also use a keyboard if on PC) you move two characters. I was afraid it would feel unnatural or be difficult to move both characters at once but it wasn't. After a while it seemed natural. The game is mostly puzzle solving with a few boss fights but don't expect to be picking up weapons. You use intelligence and skills to make your way across the world.

Who should play: There are some heartbreaking moments in this game and a few frightening images. I would say a twelve year old could handle it but I would be wary of kids younger than ten playing it. Why........

(SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS) We come across some horrific scenes. A women drowns, a man hangs himself (you try to stop him, I wasn't able to ) and in a dark forest a group of children (?) are hanging. These are few and far between but because we can't understand the language being spoken by the characters we have no way of knowing what kind of war is going on. We just feel the danger. Many lighter moments balance out these scenes but they foretell the ending to come. So parents, be careful. Older folks, you can handle this I be thinking ;) (END OF SPOILERS).

You can easily play this game in a long evening or afternoon. Its a beautiful, sad but completely amazing game and you should play it.

I bought the game code and played it through steam on my Surface Pro 2 with an Xbox 360 controller. I had NO problems downloading or playing. I had NO glitches or freezes. Honestly, this was the easiest game I've ever downloaded and played.

Have fun!