Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 119 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 194 reviews
on July 19, 2014
One of the best games I have ever played. Heartbreakingly memorable and touching, and I mean that. There is some truly innovative game play and for once you really feel for the characters you play.

Story: Somewhere in a medieval, fantasy world, a young family is besot by tragedy. When the father turns very ill, the two children of the family (brothers) go on a perilous quest to a find way to cure their parent. Along their journey they meet amazing creatures and people who help them.

Game play: Using one controller (you can also use a keyboard if on PC) you move two characters. I was afraid it would feel unnatural or be difficult to move both characters at once but it wasn't. After a while it seemed natural. The game is mostly puzzle solving with a few boss fights but don't expect to be picking up weapons. You use intelligence and skills to make your way across the world.

Who should play: There are some heartbreaking moments in this game and a few frightening images. I would say a twelve year old could handle it but I would be wary of kids younger than ten playing it. Why........

(SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS) We come across some horrific scenes. A women drowns, a man hangs himself (you try to stop him, I wasn't able to ) and in a dark forest a group of children (?) are hanging. These are few and far between but because we can't understand the language being spoken by the characters we have no way of knowing what kind of war is going on. We just feel the danger. Many lighter moments balance out these scenes but they foretell the ending to come. So parents, be careful. Older folks, you can handle this I be thinking ;) (END OF SPOILERS).

You can easily play this game in a long evening or afternoon. Its a beautiful, sad but completely amazing game and you should play it.

I bought the game code and played it through steam on my Surface Pro 2 with an Xbox 360 controller. I had NO problems downloading or playing. I had NO glitches or freezes. Honestly, this was the easiest game I've ever downloaded and played.

Have fun!
on January 1, 2014
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a wonderful, albeit short, game following the journey of two brothers, Naiee and Nyaa, on their quest to find the Tree of Life, and save their father. It is a larger than life tale, that will lead you on a rollercoaster ride through chilling and beautiful landscapes and have you interacting with both familiar, and mythical creatures.

Pros: The unique world, story, and interactions are where Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons truly shines. There are a lot of moments that will put a smile of your face, and despite the singular story choices, you do feel like you are able to interact with the world. The simplistic nature of the controls allows for the game to easily be played on a keyboard, though designed for a controller.

Cons: With a runtime of approximately three hours, the game is short. At least 30-50% of that time is spent not actually playing, but watching cut scenes. However, sometimes less is more. The puzzles and gameplay are simple, and I could imagine them becoming a little redundant were the game any longer. They are there more to advance the story, than to challenge you.

Despite the areas where Brothers: A Tale of Two Songs is lacking, it is incredible what Starbreeze Studios has packed into three hours of gameplay. The game is a story, but it is also an adventure. It will leave you in awe of the atmosphere, and have you feeling like a young Indiana Jones by the end.
on February 19, 2014
It sounds so simple: a video game which tells a story. Many games have accomplished this over the last few decades, but none has done it in the way Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons has. This is just as much an interactive novel or short story as an adventure game.

Without giving away spoilers, I'll just say a few things:
One person plays as both the first and second sons of a widower/father. Father becomes ill, so the sons are sent on a journey to find the medicine which will save his life. Along the way, the brothers take care of each other and assist those in need...they even find a bit of mischief from time to time.
(The Controls are a "single player co-op" style, where one controls both boys simultaneously, btw. This can take a bit of getting used to, but actually adds to the game, in my opinion.)

This is all done without the utterance of a single intelligible word of ANY language. Characters speak in a fictitious tongue, yet you still understand the meaning, if not the words.

I rarely feel an emotional response while gaming, but Brothers is really a story which tugs the heart strings in many directions. Mirth, tragedy, excitement, fear, and joy; few have experienced such a variety of emotions from the best literature and most critically-acclaimed movies...but a game? Games are not traditionally seen as "art" in the same light as film, TV, or books. Brothers is a huge step forward in dissolving the walls between these mediums.

The game is only a few hours long and the replay value is fairly low...but don't let that detract you from enjoying one of the best games on the market. As an absolutely avid gamer, I rate Brothers as my 2013 Game of the Year.

Buy it. Play it. Share it. You will not be disappointed.
on February 12, 2014
At first I was baffled by the simplicty of this game. you use the two thumbsticks and two shoulder buttons of your gamepad. Thats it.
While the controls are not always easy to coordinate, they are really rather intuitive.

The graphics are not really up-to-date, yet beautiful. You can see far into the distance and catch glimpses of what lies ahead.

However, the big selling point of this game is the story, not the graphics.

Without using any recognizable words (the language is made-up gibberish), the game manages to tell a really touching story of two brothers on the search for a cure for their ill father. I won't spoil anything here, but it will bring tears to your eyes.

Difficulty-wise, I found it really easy. You can play it through in about 2-2.5 hours if you want. Most puzzles are self-explainatory.
on January 5, 2016
Excellent Game. I usually play shooters, batman, crysis, etc I wanted something different. This was it. I played on the PC with the keyboard - worked perfectly NO gamepad necessary. My daughter and I both played. She was the younger brother with the arrows and I was the older brother with the WASD. You have to work together. It was fun. Only 4 hours long, but well worth it when on sale. The game has a very nice soundtrack. There are lots of scenes that are very nice with the soundtrack playing, like a movie experience. You will not be disappointed.
on December 30, 2013
Easily one of the most powerful "video games" I have ever played. The control is something never done before and is simply brilliant. You control each brother using a dedicated thumb stick on your controller. This adds a new dimension to puzzle solving. The characters speak an unknown (made up) language. You can not understand their words, however, you can easily understand what is going on by their tone and body language. The game only takes 3 hours to complete, yet is 3 hours you will never forget. Another reviewer chastised the game for only taking him 2 hours to complete. My Steam library has over 250 titles. I have completed a fraction of them. Most of them take 15 to 20+ hours to complete. Several add medial tasks in order to say they have "x" hours of game play. I would much rather have a game that is short and leaves me feeling emotionally invested in the story and characters than have a long game that begins to feel like work after several hours of repetitive chores.

I am 35 years old and this game has given me hope that "video games" in general still have an enormous amount of untapped potential.
on June 24, 2014
Brothers is a dramatic tale about 2 boys that go on an adventure across the lands to acquire a healing potion for their sick father. There are no actual lines of dialog in the story. The characters make suggestive movements and make sounds as if speaking to each other. Though no actual words are said the meaning is clear.

The scenery throughout is fanciful and increases engagement in the story of potential peril the boys face as they traverse through it.

The game mechanics are unlike any game I have played before. The system requires the use of two analog thumb sticks and triggers associated to them. You control the younger boy with the right stick and right trigger; the older boy with the left stick and left trigger. They designed this control scheme well; it works great in the game. I was able to grasp it right away, but I did still occasionally mess it up, but I think that's kind of the point. If it was too easy then it wouldn't be much fun to control at all.

I highly recommend it even though the story is a downer, but it is memorable and well done.
on December 26, 2013
I had never heard of this game before I saw it on sale @ Amazon for $5.99 so I wanted to look more into it before I bought it. I checked Youtube and found a video review by Totalbiscuit, if you don't know who that is I recommend you look him up, and he sold me on the game in the first 2 minutes of the review. When he says its one, if not the best, game he has ever played I knew I had to have it. So I bought it! Am I ever glad I did. I played it from start to finish, yes its not the longest game you will ever play but just might be one of the best you ever play. So if you're looking to kill three or so hours and want a visually stunning experience that you will wish there was more of, then I highly recommend you getting this game. If you have ever played a game you wish was over after three hours, I know I have, this is not one of them.
on August 13, 2014
This was a truly superb game and I highly recommend it. I wish to add that I used my keyboard, so if you don't happen to have the Xbox controller it's just fine without it. That said:
1. The cinematography was positively first-rate. It's worth it simply for the scenery alone; though it's worth far more than that.
2. It's quite short; I managed to complete it in about two and one-half hours. It's a very simple game.
3. This is what I wish to add first and foremost: the game is very psychologically powerful, it's brevity notwithstanding. If you are at an emotionally weak point in your life it is simply a fair warning. You are drawn into the sublime family relationship. Loss will happen from the very get go. I cried; not "Commander-Shepard-died-misty-eyes" but "curl-up-in-bed-and sob-until-I-pass-out-heaving-sobs". DO play it, but be forewarned that it might hurt, not your mind but your soul. Beautiful game.
on March 1, 2014
This game requires a game controller. I didn't know this upon purchase, but this actually turned about to be fortuitous in the sense that it gave me an excuse to buy one and to use it while playing other PC games. I loved this game: the bond you feel between the two brothers while on their noble quest is something I've never felt before. The way the two boys work in tandem through use of the controller offers a unique experience that contributes greatly to that bonding experience. The soundtrack is wonderful as well are the beautiful graphics (such magnificent views!) I can't say enough good things about this game!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.