Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on April 5, 2016
This is one of our favorite books. We have printed out pictures of each of the animals in the book, laminated them, and then hide them in my 3 year old's bedroom with a removable tacky putty. I move them around as she remembers where they are, but as we read the book, I ask her to find the animals. I also made her binoculars by putting colored paper around two toilet paper rolls that I hot glued together and attached a string at one end to go around her neck, when monitored. She loves it and it makes the book and story that much more enjoyable. The hard board book is very durable and great!
9 people found this helpful
on April 22, 2017
I bought this because my daughters loved Brown Bear, Brown Bear, and was not as taken with this version. It is full of more complicated animal types that do not flow easily with the rhythm. I have yet to memorize this book (and I've memorized ALL of the others that we own), which makes it hard to read when you're trying to tilt it so multiple kids can see the pictures. The illustrations are nice, and my daughters do like it, but I'm definitely not as big a fan of this book as the original.
6 people found this helpful
on September 26, 2017
My kids and I adore this book! Because of this I bought it for my 5 month old for Christmas. I just received it today and I'm slightly dispointed with Amazon. The book had clearly already been opened multiple times by the crease on the back of the book, and the edges were "splintering" in a way. Overall, the book is in decent condition but I'm greatly dispointed with the fact that my son won't be able to be the first person to you know break open the book, if that makes sense. Oh well I guess.
on June 3, 2016
Its hard to find books newborns and infants... They wont really pay attention to many books, and I have PLENTY that I have tried. I started reading this to my son starting at 1-2 months and he has loved it! He is now 7 months and loves it too! Its short, sweet, and has a cute rhythm to it (does not rhyme). The pictures are vibrant enough to catch his attention and not overly cluttered. There is just one animal on each page and babies love that... Clear outline of an animal. I have other books with seemingly pretty illustrations that are bright and colorful but my son could care less about those.

I highly recommend this book and even buy it as gifts for new moms! It is a classic for every nursery.

Also, I want to note that I dont get sick of reading it over and over...
3 people found this helpful
on April 3, 2018
I ready this book when I was a teacher - it was an all time favorite! So of course I had to get it for my son and he also adores the book. Simple to read and easy for him to "read" to me. I love the interaction when he can say the colors right along with the pages and animals. I have already given this books to many people as baby gifts or birthday gifts and will continue to do so. Everyone with a little one should have this book on their shelves!
2 people found this helpful
on February 23, 2017
This is a re-purchase - kids love to slide the little hiding places open and closed to expose each thing that Brown Bear spies, so it's a go-to gift whenever there's a little one needing a board book. The colors are bright, the pages are sturdy and the story holds their attention. With adults reading to them, they'll soon learn colors and various kinds of animals, and the last page exposes them to the concept of a classroom and teacher. As with any book, the child will get out of it as much as the reader puts into it, so it's an especially fun book to spend a lot of time on, asking the child questions ("Are cats really purple?" "What's the dog doing?"), pointing out letters of the alphabet that are also in the child's name, getting them psyched about things that happen at school, etc. This book is great to give to new grandparents (or aunts/uncles or babysitters) to keep at their houses for special one-on-one time, and it's short enough that it can be a good going-to-bed book.
One person found this helpful
on July 17, 2017
I enjoyed these books as a kid and particularly enjoy reading this one to my 3.5mo son! I call to him "Baby!" from time to time and he LOVES that I do that with this! Vibrant colors, large front, and very well put together!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
|0Comment|Report abuse
Despite this book being a classic, I wasn't sure my toddler would actually like this because of its illustrations. But I was wrong...he loves this book! Great book for teaching basic animals and practicing animal sounds together.
Positives
Great board book
Introduces animals
Introduces Colors
Very repetitive (which can be positive or negative)
Fun read for 2-4 or maybe 5 years old
Nicely illustrated
Plenty of rhythmic repetition
HIGHLY RECOMMEND
3 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2013
If you want an entertaining book to teach young children their colors, this one is a delight. I loved reading this book to my young students (18 months through kindergarten) and they paid rapt attention. They enjoy the colorful and original art. And they like the sing-song rhyme of the text.

While it says the book is for children two to five years of age, I think you can read it as soon as a child is ready for books like 6 months or possibly younger. Young children can begin to learn colors, numbers and letter sounds from birth. I used to recite the letter sounds with accompanying letter pictures (a for apple) to my sons, and by age age two they knew all of their letter sounds, by three they were reading words and by four they were reading books. Also did counting and color activities and books with them. They knew the colors by the age of two as I read books like this one to them and played color games with them.

Early learning, when done with a non-pressured and joyous, happy approach is wonderful for young children as their minds are so absorbent. They want to learn, are wired to learn and don't distinguish between learning and play. If they can learn to speak a foreign language in six months at the age of four when it takes an adult years, it is clear their minds are like a sponge at these young ages. Books that teach while entertain, like this one, are wonderful. This book is a classic book for young children.