Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Board book|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,810 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,389 reviews
on March 20, 2016
This is my daughters favorite book! It has traveled with us across the country. She has to have it with her at all times. The book is perfect for little hands. She is 16 months and the size is great. She is able to grab the book and flip throughout the pages independently.
review image review image
on October 7, 2016
My almost one year old loves this book. He's actually cried a few times when we have stopped reading. The pictures are bright and colorful and the text is simple and easy to understand for little ones. My only complaint as others have mentioned is that the text that lets you know what animal is coming next feels like it should be on the page with that animal...

For example on the page with the Brown bear is says:

Brown bear brown bear
What do you see?

I see a red bird looking at me.

In my opinion, "I see a red bird looking at me feels like it should be on the next page WITH the red bird. From what I've read in other reviews seems like this was the case in much older versions. But nevertheless, the book is still a great read and I'd highly recommend.
on December 15, 2016
I have always been a fan of anything Eric Carle, and this was no exception. I haven't read as much of Bill Martin Jr.'s writings, but what I have read I enjoyed. I can remember reading this book to my younger brother when he was little, and now I get to do the same with my son. The illustrations are so unique and eye catching. I really like this book because it also helps teaching the names of many types of animals. It is a good length for a quick story, but long enough that you may not have to read more than one. The phrases is this book flow nicely, and always make my son smile. If you are just starting to find books for you little one, this is a good choice, as well as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (Board Book) by Bill Martin Jr and The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 29, 2015
I sent off this book to an almost-three-year old Great-nephew to help him learn colors and animals. It works. He’s learned basic colors and is familiar with the animals depicted in the book and mightily enjoys reading and reciting the words on every page.

The logic of Bill Martin’s delightful poem is easy for him to follow (Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see? I see a red bird looking at me. Red bird, red bird, what do you see?...). and on through a charming chain of different colored animals until a simple, surprising ending. Eric Carle’s illustrations are wonderful as usual.

The book itself is a well-made board book with bright colors and should easily withstand toddler wear and tear.
on April 28, 2014
I was a toddler teacher for many years and every chhild in my care always loved the singy-songy story of Brown Bear. And I, as an educator, valued the incorporation of color recognotion and animal naming (you can even throw in some animal noises, too!). I witnessed it helping the children's vocabularly increase and they were able to transfer the knowledge learned from this story into other items in their environment. The text is simple and repetive, and before long they love to anticipate the next page and recite it along with you.
NOW... I have an adorable 21 mo. old nephew of my own and was plesantly urprised to find this slide and find version. He loves lift the flap and peek-a-boo books so I knew that this would be an instant hit. The beauty of this is the way the flaps slide into the book, preventing them from being ripped off in the exuberance of toddler reading (I know you know what I am talking about!). I wished more authors would create this type of book.
Well, it was a hit (understatement!). We read it at least a dozen times in one hour; he kept going back to it over and over again. He loved sliding open the "door" and naming the animal only to shut it and giggle "bye-bye!" over and over again!
A definite hit... great as a gift idea, too.
I would recommend it for 18 mo - 3 years.
on April 22, 2017
I bought this because my daughters loved Brown Bear, Brown Bear, and was not as taken with this version. It is full of more complicated animal types that do not flow easily with the rhythm. I have yet to memorize this book (and I've memorized ALL of the others that we own), which makes it hard to read when you're trying to tilt it so multiple kids can see the pictures. The illustrations are nice, and my daughters do like it, but I'm definitely not as big a fan of this book as the original.
on April 16, 2014
My almost 3 year old son is globally delayed and has a provisional diagnosis of autism. He has just started labeling but other than that doesn't do much talking. When I received this book I printed out the same pictures of the animals in little squares and used Velcro so he could take them on and off the pages. Whatever page we are on he pulls off that animal and says the name of the animal. When we finish reading I ask for a picture, frog for example, he then puts it on the frog page and says bye bye frog. Sometimes I can even get him to tell me what sound the animals make! We love this book! Eric Carle is excellent!
on October 7, 2015
My son's pre-school teacher read this to my son and he couldn't stop repeating the words all the way home.... panda bear, panda what do you see.. I end up buying 2 other Bill Martin/Eric Carle books the same day. The hard cover books are perfect for those little hands, helps with turning pages. This is a must have for little ones, it teaches them about animals and their senses! Now my son reads this book to me!!
on August 1, 2011
We first heard this book from Babies and Books at our library. The repetitiveness and rhythm is something babies love. My baby is no exception. He has over 20 books and while he can only point to what he wants, this is the one he requests the most. He loves to flip the pages and slide the tabs to reveal the next animal. If he's upset, wherever we are, all I have to say is "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" and he perks right up and smiles. Of course, I can recite the whole thing from memory now so we can take the story along with us anywhere, even when the book is at home. Buy it, it's a winner!

UPDATE:
After posting, I went back and read other reviews. It's true that this version does not have the summary page at the end. I forgot to mention that. We were expecting it to be there as well. We've adapted and what we do now is count the children at the end. He gets a kick out of me pointing and counting to nine. Sometimes we also add "Children, Children, What Do You See?" then I let him start at the beginning and flip every page again, while I call out what we see. HTH!
on February 24, 2016
Both of my kids love this book - in fact "Bow Barr" was probably one of the first dozen words my son learned to say, as he would constantly grab this book and bring it to us to read it. The book is very simple, but fun to read and colorful.

One tip that I've found makes the book even more educational and fun to read is to insert the sound that each animal makes while reading the page. For example:
"Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see? 'Roaaar', I see a red bird looking at me"
"Red bird, red bird, what do you see? 'Tweet Tweet', I see a green frog looking at me"
... and so on

I think my kids look forward to the sound effects as much as the other words ... and on the last page where it reviews what the children see (ie: all the animals) you can quiz them on what each animal says, what color they are, etc.

Perfect for any kids age 1-3 in my opinion, but my 5 year old still enjoys it, so that's saying something.