Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,846 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,437 reviews
on March 20, 2016
This is my daughters favorite book! It has traveled with us across the country. She has to have it with her at all times. The book is perfect for little hands. She is 16 months and the size is great. She is able to grab the book and flip throughout the pages independently.
review image review image
on December 15, 2016
I have always been a fan of anything Eric Carle, and this was no exception. I haven't read as much of Bill Martin Jr.'s writings, but what I have read I enjoyed. I can remember reading this book to my younger brother when he was little, and now I get to do the same with my son. The illustrations are so unique and eye catching. I really like this book because it also helps teaching the names of many types of animals. It is a good length for a quick story, but long enough that you may not have to read more than one. The phrases is this book flow nicely, and always make my son smile. If you are just starting to find books for you little one, this is a good choice, as well as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (Board Book) by Bill Martin Jr and The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.
on April 22, 2017
I bought this because my daughters loved Brown Bear, Brown Bear, and was not as taken with this version. It is full of more complicated animal types that do not flow easily with the rhythm. I have yet to memorize this book (and I've memorized ALL of the others that we own), which makes it hard to read when you're trying to tilt it so multiple kids can see the pictures. The illustrations are nice, and my daughters do like it, but I'm definitely not as big a fan of this book as the original.
on October 7, 2015
My son's pre-school teacher read this to my son and he couldn't stop repeating the words all the way home.... panda bear, panda what do you see.. I end up buying 2 other Bill Martin/Eric Carle books the same day. The hard cover books are perfect for those little hands, helps with turning pages. This is a must have for little ones, it teaches them about animals and their senses! Now my son reads this book to me!!
on April 28, 2014
I was a toddler teacher for many years and every chhild in my care always loved the singy-songy story of Brown Bear. And I, as an educator, valued the incorporation of color recognotion and animal naming (you can even throw in some animal noises, too!). I witnessed it helping the children's vocabularly increase and they were able to transfer the knowledge learned from this story into other items in their environment. The text is simple and repetive, and before long they love to anticipate the next page and recite it along with you.
NOW... I have an adorable 21 mo. old nephew of my own and was plesantly urprised to find this slide and find version. He loves lift the flap and peek-a-boo books so I knew that this would be an instant hit. The beauty of this is the way the flaps slide into the book, preventing them from being ripped off in the exuberance of toddler reading (I know you know what I am talking about!). I wished more authors would create this type of book.
Well, it was a hit (understatement!). We read it at least a dozen times in one hour; he kept going back to it over and over again. He loved sliding open the "door" and naming the animal only to shut it and giggle "bye-bye!" over and over again!
A definite hit... great as a gift idea, too.
I would recommend it for 18 mo - 3 years.
on December 15, 2016
Book spine is already coming apart from book. 😕
review image review image
on May 26, 2016
A huge boardbook "Brown Bear..." how have I lived without this awesome book? Ok overly dramatic I know, but this book is great. They were using it for baby story time at our local library and I took a snapshot of the ISBN and was so happy to find it on amazon. Both my kids can sit together and read it without fighting over who gets to hold it-it's big enough to fit on both laps! My daughter also brought it in to her kindergarten class as a read aloud book and it was very easy to hold while showing all the students the pictures.
The repetitive wording and rhythm makes it great for kids learning to read and the pictures are just amazing! Also wonderful for teaching/reviewing colors with your kids. There are also tons of activities that can be done with this book including nature walks, coloring activities, sorting activities and the list goes on and on. I wish all of Bill Martin Jr and Eric Carle's books came in this extra large board book style.
on June 3, 2016
Its hard to find books newborns and infants... They wont really pay attention to many books, and I have PLENTY that I have tried. I started reading this to my son starting at 1-2 months and he has loved it! He is now 7 months and loves it too! Its short, sweet, and has a cute rhythm to it (does not rhyme). The pictures are vibrant enough to catch his attention and not overly cluttered. There is just one animal on each page and babies love that... Clear outline of an animal. I have other books with seemingly pretty illustrations that are bright and colorful but my son could care less about those.

I highly recommend this book and even buy it as gifts for new moms! It is a classic for every nursery.

Also, I want to note that I dont get sick of reading it over and over...
on April 18, 2017
My babies love this book! It is nice that the picture of the animal is on the same page as the "I see a yellow duck looking at me" that way they can have an easier time identifying the sentences with what they see. Not all brown bear books are like that
on November 25, 2014
Read this story to my own kids and was my grandson's first favorite - the only book he would sit through when he was 5 or 6 months and he would listen as I read it several times in a row. Not sure if it's the pictures or the repeat rhythm, but he loved it. "Brown Bear" was among his first words :-)

I am very disappointed in the changing of words from our old book to the newer one. The old book has mother as the adult, this has replaced the mother with teacher. I don't like the transition from making a parent the important person for a child to making a teacher the important person for a child.