Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 30, 2010 7:40:39 AM PDT
missbrooklyn says:
What is the mystery that people can't say his real name? I can't recall if I read something that mentioned his history. I know he is the vampire that is sent to protect Sookie. If someone can give me a brief history about his background...

Posted on Apr 2, 2010 4:16:01 PM PDT
Hopefully I'm not giving anything away, but...well...Bubba is a turned Elvis. They don't mention his real name because apparently he was so full of drugs when he was turned that he didn't really come out right and being reminded of his past sets him off/makes him upset.

Does that help?

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 11:16:01 AM PDT
missbrooklyn says:
Yes, it does! Now that you mention it, I'll catch hints here and there about his former life being Elvis. The author never really mentioned the name "Elvis" in the first couple of books right?

Posted on Apr 28, 2010 10:29:07 AM PDT
Sara says:
Right, and she doesnt mention his name in any of the books so far.

Posted on Apr 28, 2010 1:37:42 PM PDT
V. Garcia says:
I love his character !! I wish they added him in the tv series.

Posted on Nov 24, 2010 3:38:59 AM PST
It's been a while since I finished with the last Sookie, but, I thought the name Elvis was mentioned at some point. No way am I checking back thru all the books. Isn't the reason that no one can say his name is cause he goes berserk? Like it becomes too real for him.

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 2:06:44 PM PST
Nancy says:
something like that, i love bubba!! Alan Ball said he thought of ways to have bubba turn up in TB but just couldn't do it with out it being to wishy washy. so no bubba in true blood.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2010 2:57:41 AM PST
DEVOUREADT says:
I was curious too...(2am-can't sleep-U no?)
In Dead Until Dark Bubba is described as "a handsome vampire with thick black hair combed into an improbable wavy style ..."
The night Bill and Sookie babysit for Rene and Arlene Bubba shows up and Bill introduces Bubba to Rene. Sookie notices Bill shake his head at Rene when he begins to act as if he recognizes this vampire friend of Bill's.
Bubba is described further as being " husky, taller than Bill, and he wore jeans and a `I VISITED GRACELAND' t-shirt."

Sookie is described as thinking he did look familiar and then it dawns on her...

"Oh my God.
It was the man from Memphis"

Later Bubba is described as having a "heavy Southern accent."
As Rene and Arlene drive away, they stare at the vampire with astonished looks on their faces.
From then on, everytime Bubba is mentioned there is usually a little bit said about how he doesn't like being reminded who he was. Somewhere in one of the books the explanation is he had been dead too long before being made by a vampire who was working in the morgue the night he died and hated to lose him forever.

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 5:50:20 PM PDT
Stormy Tiger says:
Elvis never had a heavy southern accent. Charlaine also writes in one of the books that Bubba has brown eyes! Elvis had blue eyes. Do the vampires' eyes change color (ala Twilight) now? Or is it only Bubba's eyes that change color? Gee, what an original name Bubba is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 6:14:41 PM PDT
Stormy Tiger

Maybe it's Yankees like me that think the description of Bubba fits Elvis. To a Northerner, Elvis had a Southern accent-more the appearance of a Southern manner-like being polite. I never did know his eye color. But, if you want to hide behind a generic Southern name, why not Bubba?

Bubba's too cute to mess with

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 7:43:54 PM PDT
HHB says:
In "Club Dead" Sookie phones Russell Edgington's house and asks for Betty Joe Pickard, then says "You have a vampire there, an Elvis impersonator?"
"So?" Suddenly she sounded very wary. "We caught an intruder within our walls last night, yes."
. . .
[Sookie] "I am supposed to tell you that the vampire you have there, he's the real thing."

So yeah, he's supposed to be Elvis.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead Until Dark  (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 1)
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 1) by Charlaine Harris (Mass Market Paperback - May 1, 2001)
4.1 out of 5 stars (1,564)